PDA

View Full Version : Are we getting too paranoid?

dfish
5th May 2009, 00:25
Paranoid Authorities Wouldn't Let My Plane Fly Over U.S. Territory -- Was It Something I Wrote? | Rights and Liberties | AlterNet (http://www.alternet.org/rights/139606/paranoid_authorities_wouldn%27t_let_my_plane_fly_over_u.s._t erritory_--_was_it_something_i_wrote/)

D. Fisher

HercDriver
5th May 2009, 12:08
dunno...but I am glad they made his life suck for awhile... frenchy!!:D

Magplug
5th May 2009, 12:25
Only in the land of the free!

He's lucky he didn't end up in some banana republic having his fingernails pulled out by the gentlemen from the CIA just because his name appeared on one or more of their randomly constructed databases.... And they wonder why foreigners hate Americans ?

To paraphrase Bill Clinton... It's the foreign policy stupid !

CEJM
5th May 2009, 12:26
dunno...but I am glad they made his life suck for awhile... frenchy!!:D

Difficulty reading HercDriver?

The article clearly says that it is a COLOMBIAN writer who lives in France. :ugh:

angels
5th May 2009, 12:47
I'm a paranoid with low self-esteem.

No-one important is after me....

(Genuinely heard in a psychiatric unit i was in).

Airbubba
5th May 2009, 12:49
Yeah, but the UK can ban Michael Savage because he doesn't support homo marriage? Where is the outrage on this?

And they wonder why foreigners hate Americans ?

Yep, they should all tear up their green card applications in protest.:ok:

TractorBoy
5th May 2009, 12:50
I'm not paranoid. Why are you saying I am ? You're all persecuting me....! :}

Airbubba
5th May 2009, 12:53
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you!

ArthurR
5th May 2009, 14:58
I'm not paranoid, I know they're out to get me..

Captain Stable
5th May 2009, 15:11
Yeah, but the UK can ban Michael Savage because he doesn't support homo marriage?a) My understanding was that he was banned not because he doesn't support gay marriages, but because he has advocated violent attacks on gay people
b) Even being banned from the UK he would not be banned from overflight.

cockney steve
5th May 2009, 15:33
Even being banned from the UK he would not be banned from overflight.
That, my friend, is a sweeping supposition that they won't "reinterpret" the rules as they go along.

I know what they're like,- I read "1984" , you know.

Captain Stable
5th May 2009, 15:43
steve, unlike the USA, the UK is not currently asking for advance notification of passenger details for flight into the UK, let alone overflights.

So tell me how they'd know?

tony draper
5th May 2009, 16:00
Whatever happened to persona non grata ? watched a thing a while back one of those documentaries where they follow cops around,this one was filmed around Soho,they lift a couple of Romanian pickpockets with about three grand in assorted currencies they have obviously dabbed off tourists,and a Chilean in the same business,the copper stated the Chilean woman has been lifted numerous times and had even done time for shop lifting and bag stealing in the UK, he also said she would be deported but would be back within a few weeks plying her trade,same applied to the Romanians.
I thought people could be declared persona non grata and never be allowed back into a country,and if not why not?
:confused:

ArthurR
5th May 2009, 17:31
Mr D, If they can do this with a Brit, why can't they do with others,

Found on "Wicked Thoughts" to-day

"A man has been banned from flying for five years after allegedly threatening to kill all passengers onboard a flight bound for Spain. Robert Russell become intoxicated while waiting for a flight to Malaga, Spain at Gatwick Airport, UK, on October 15 last year, the UK’s Telegraph reported. About 15 minutes into the flight Mr Russell was ordered to stay in his seat after abusing an air stewardess and trying to fondle her arm, Brighton Crown Court was told. “Oi blondie. Come and sit here so I can stroke you,” he allegedly yelled to the stewardess. When a passenger intervened Mr Russell allegedly threatened to kill “all the passengers onboard” before pulling at the emergency exit door and being restrained by crew and two passengers. The court heard how the pilot then decided to turn the plane back to Gatwick Airport, ordering terrified passengers to put their seatbelts back on. Mr Russell had recently split from his wife and booked the flight after being made redundant from his job as a postman. Defence lawyer Christopher Rodwell said his client was "genuinely remorseful" for what he had done. Mr Russell was banned from every airport in the UK for five years, jailed for one year, ordered to do 200 hours of community service and fined $10,000". [About time one of these aircraft pests got thoroughly slapped down]

What happened to P.N.G.'s

handysnaks
5th May 2009, 19:00

Who elected you spokesman for the rest of the world? :suspect: :hmm: I'm a foreigner and I don't hate americans, so mathematically speaking your proposition is false!

Muffin Themule
5th May 2009, 22:31
mathematically speaking your proposition is false

How so, handy? :confused: Magplug didn't claim all foreigners (or aliens) hate Americans. His proposition is valid so long as some non-USAians hate Americans.

Whirlygig
5th May 2009, 22:39
... is the original quote. True, it doesn't say "all", neither does it say "some". The absence of a quantifier in this situation does imply the whole set of foreigners i.e. "all".

Cheers

Whirls

Muffin Themule
5th May 2009, 22:57
Would that be Kingsberry rules, Whirls?

blackace
5th May 2009, 23:17
NO.

Now leave me alone.

handysnaks
6th May 2009, 18:24
How so, handy? Magplug didn't claim all foreigners (or aliens) hate Americans. His proposition is valid so long as some non-USAians hate Americans.
What Whirls said:p

(I was going to follow up with some 'for all', 'there exists' and 'implies' symbols but when I copied them across they changed:( ),

Anyway, the main point is that when I read some of the anti US guff that is often written on this venerable site I feel the need to come out in support of uncle sam. They ain't perfect. However, neither are we and they're a b*~~!y site better than the alternative!

ShyTorque
6th May 2009, 18:39
Are we getting too paranoid?

I've been unreasonably worried that we might be, for some time now...