View Full Version : Driving etiquette

mona lot
4th May 2009, 22:54
So today was a bank holiday weekend, please remember driving etiquette:

If you have a caravan keep the **** away from motorways:ugh:
Save the right hand lane for all those doing 100 mph plus:ok:

Chesty Morgan
4th May 2009, 23:13
And if you have a caravan keep away from A roads...and B roads...and my route to work. Bloody grockle boxes.

Mumble, grumble, huff, grumble...

Lightning6
4th May 2009, 23:37
So today was a bank holiday weekend, please remember driving etiquette:

If you have a caravan keep the **** away from motorways:ugh:
Save the right hand lane for all those doing 100 mph plus:ok:

And you lot doing 100mph plus get off my @rse when I'm overtaking someone doing 50mph in the middle lane, not clever and totally unnecessary.

con-pilot
4th May 2009, 23:40
Or, buy an American turbo Diesel pickup truck that can pull a caravan (travel trailer) at 100 mph. :p

Course you'll have to buy an American caravan that can be pulled at that speed. ;)

Chesty Morgan
4th May 2009, 23:44
Nevermind that Lightning what the hell are they doing 50 in the middle lane for?

Come back Phil, all is forgiven:E

Avitor
4th May 2009, 23:48
Don't you guys know nutt'n? When towing a hefty caravan the middle lane is ideal for when the thing is fish tailing, you time your overtaking (or undertaking) with the swing.

Gordy
4th May 2009, 23:49
Ohhhh Con---you are gonna start a war.... How bout one of these:

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j35/helokat/funnies/Redneck20Camper.jpg

con-pilot
5th May 2009, 00:00
How bout one of these

Naw, tried that, didn't like bugs in my teeth. :p

Ohhhh Con---you are gonna start a war

Naw, just stating facts. :ok:

I have a Dodge Ram 3500 turbo Diesel pickup with dual rear tires sitting in my driveway that can cruise all day long at 100mph pulling a caravan, even a really big caravan. I'll get a picture. Standby.

Lightning6
5th May 2009, 00:00
Don't you guys know nutt'n? When towing a hefty caravan the middle lane is ideal for when the thing is fish tailing, you time your overtaking (or undertaking) with the swing.

Oh yeh, we'll all adjust our driving for fish tailing caravans :rolleyes:, why are you fish tailing? Sounds dodgy to me, shouldn't be on the road if they are that unstable.

Chesty Morgan
5th May 2009, 00:04
why are you fish tailing?

To stop mona lot from getting past?

There is a cure to fish tailing. Go faster. Con has the right idea.

con-pilot
5th May 2009, 00:09
Okay, here is a picture. Except mine is black.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c246/con-pilot/IMG60DTGEJ1.jpg

It was easier to just get a photo from the Internet than to go out and take a picture and go through all the steps to post it here.

Oh hell, that is still not it, mine is a dual cab, has four doors. I'll try again. :(

Lightning6
5th May 2009, 00:15
Nice wagon Con, but most caravan drivers here use family cars, not fit for the purpose.

con-pilot
5th May 2009, 00:22
Okay, I give up, I can't find a picture of the blasted thing on the internet. I'll have to go out and take a picture of the dang thing.

I'll be back.

Chesty Morgan
5th May 2009, 00:41
It was easier to just get a photo from the Internet than to go out and take a picture

:}....................................

11Fan
5th May 2009, 01:35
Con,

Here ya go

Dodge Truck (http://www.jinma-simcoe.ca/page15.html)

con-pilot
5th May 2009, 01:52
By God 11Fan, that's it, shoot it could be my truck. :ok:

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c246/con-pilot/black_dually.jpg

GroundedSLF
5th May 2009, 07:27
Con - might work in the US, but no chance anybody over here could afford the petrol (gas) to run it, given that we are now at approx $5.40 a gallon (US)

On top of that, the UK road tax per year would be approx $570

Dont even think about insurance costs...

mixture
5th May 2009, 08:31
And you lot doing 100mph plus get off my @rse when I'm overtaking someone doing 50mph in the middle lane, not clever and totally unnecessary.

I hate tailgaters who think they own the outer lane. :=

Also remember that the outer lane is not excempt from the national speed limit, even when "overtaking". :ok:

Beatriz Fontana
5th May 2009, 08:33
You got up to 100mph over the bank holiday?? I was lucky to reach the National Speed Limit amongst all those Sunday and lost drivers this weekend. The M27 was a nightmare!

ExSp33db1rd
5th May 2009, 08:34
and are you ALLOWED to tow at 100 mph ? What happened to all those 40 mph signs that were on the back of trailers in my youf ?

MadsDad
5th May 2009, 08:37
Here we go again. :ugh:

I feel a driving 'Hansterwheel' coming on.

Ken Wells
5th May 2009, 08:54
Just keep left unless overtaking ( in UK).

Most UK motorways are 3 lanes and yet tossers sit in the middle lane restricting the use to just two lanes.

Realy annoyed me when that Teletubby Eaman Holmes stated on TV he always travels in the middle lane regardless as he feels safer, and at 65mph!!

I travel every week from Berkshire to Southport, worst stretches of lane hogging, M40, M6 Toll Road M62, M57.

Rollingthunder
5th May 2009, 09:19
http://www.custommagnums.com/gallery/files/4/4/dodge-magnum-carriage-works.jpg

John Hill
5th May 2009, 09:38
That looks very impressive Rollingthunder, didnt the company making those go bankrupt?:E

Rollingthunder
5th May 2009, 09:46
Going,,,going,,,going....g

Cheerio
5th May 2009, 10:01
Beep Beep? Woowooowooowooo!

http://image.automobilemag.com/f/features/news/6690472+w440/0610_z+2007_dodge_charger_police_car+front.jpg

Dodge Charger with 1.6TD... just kidding.... 340BHP V8 Hemi... pull over sonny.

ShyTorque
5th May 2009, 10:33
Con-pilot,

That vehicle IS a caravan - why would you want to tow another? :)

Flight_Idle
5th May 2009, 11:32
But half the fun of towing a caravan is seeing drivers glaring at you, faces puce with anger, when they finally manage to overtake.

Mallan
5th May 2009, 11:39
What about some pictures of caravans?

bsmasher
5th May 2009, 11:46
What about some pictures of caravans? Does this count?

http://www.satwoth.org/2003/10heptacycle.jpg

Gordy
5th May 2009, 13:08
Not really a caravan, more of a trailer---gives us somewhere to sit in A/C when in fields in the middle of nowhere:

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j35/helokat/General%20Other/ToyHaul1.jpg

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j35/helokat/General%20Other/ToyHaul2.jpg

chiglet
5th May 2009, 16:31
Doesn't that nose leg thingy make a nasty "graunching" soud when you are towing? :confused:

TurningFinals
5th May 2009, 16:43
ExSpeedbird...

You aren't allowed to drive at 100mph, nevermind tow at 100mph..:rolleyes:

mixture
5th May 2009, 19:13
ExSpeedbird...

You aren't allowed to drive at 100mph, nevermind tow at 100mph.

Maybe that's why he is ExSpeedbird .... too many points on the old license ? :}

Blues&twos
5th May 2009, 20:02
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/39796000/jpg/_39796541_fire_203.jpg

Here's a decent picture of a caravan.

Paradise Lost
5th May 2009, 20:02
Any chance some of you guys could try using your indicators and give the rest of us a clue?

Lightning6
5th May 2009, 20:12
Any chance some of you guys could try using your indicators and give the rest of us a clue?

That is [email protected]@dy annoying, especially at roundabouts, the Police are the worse culprits.

Dushan
5th May 2009, 22:34
Con-pilot,
how many FIAT 500s can you fit in that truck? How many can you tow (them in: neutral/in gear/running in reverse)?

Just asking (sorry AF).

gupta
6th May 2009, 01:28
Try this

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff110/timbo666_bucket/P2080003.jpg

Cruise all day at 110kph

John Hill
6th May 2009, 01:51
Who cares about a few caravans on the road?

http://www.izix.com/personal/travel/newzealand/images/SheepInRoad.jpg

GroundedSLF
6th May 2009, 09:18
Caravans should be made (by law) to only access roads between 01:00 and 04:00 - this will solve 2 issues:

1 - Limit the distance they can go in one "hop", so after a few years they wont bother going out over Bank Holiday weekends, `cos they will have visited all of the places of interest they can reach.

2 - clearer roads for the rest of us.

Oh, and by the way, when you intend to go "straight on" at a roundabout, DONT indicate right, then left. Indicators are for "indicating" where you intend to go, right or left - not straight on!

passy777
6th May 2009, 09:44
I have a Dodge Ram 3500 turbo Diesel pickup with dual rear tires sitting in my driveway that can cruise all day long at 100mph pulling a caravan, even a really big caravan. I'll get a picture. Standby.
Prime candidate for a mid life crisis!:rolleyes:

ExSp33db1rd
6th May 2009, 09:55
Prime candidate for a mid life crisis!

Sounds like he's just had it ?

IFTB
6th May 2009, 11:03
GroundedSLF:
Oh, and by the way, when you intend to go "straight on" at a roundabout........
I assume you speak about the UK as you seem to be turning around clockwise.

However,
In our little country just north of Spain, the law is to indicate 'right' when you turn off the roundabout. Immediately 'right', straight-on and 3/4 around, the latter after indicating 'left' until you reach the required exit.

Anyway, indicators appear to be a very expensive option on most cars. :rolleyes:

MagnusP
6th May 2009, 11:24
Tsk, tsk, GroundedSLF. Highway code rule 186 tells you to signal left after passing the exit before the one you want to take.

RH indicator is for turning right or full circle, so isn't used for straight on.

sitigeltfel
6th May 2009, 12:34
French drivers approach roundabouts with the absolute certainty that nothing will be coming from the left. The fact that you are already on the roundabout produces a look of total astonishment from them and they either boot it to cut across your nose or screech to a halt half way into the circle. Both manoeuvres contribute towards the replacement tyre and brake pad industry.

Lon More
6th May 2009, 13:36
Give way to traffic approaching from the right

http://www1.pictures.gi.zimbio.com/Space+Shuttle+Endeavour+Rolls+Out+Launch+Pad+21qtuQEHzSKl.jp g

lexxity
6th May 2009, 14:05
Another thing! Why must you in the Merc on the M60 today keep accelerating so as not to let me in and get off the Motorway? Everytime I tried to move across did you keep speeding up and sitting just past my bumper? Especially since you were coming off at the same junction as me? To55er.

Storminnorm
6th May 2009, 14:18
I'm sure that there is a local TAX on using indicators in Sussex.
You only see visitors using them. Locals never do.
I'm still waiting for the bill to arrive for having the NERVE to
use mine indiscriminately.
Must owe 'em a fortune by now.

Lon More
6th May 2009, 15:11
One of the UK tv Channels uses a video of a :mad: in a Merc. cutting across 3 lanes of traffic, just before road works, and leaving skid marks across the cross hatching. Wonder if he got done?

GroundedSLF
6th May 2009, 15:34
Magnusp - you missunderstand me - for the sake of argument, we are approaching a roundabout (in the UK) which has 3 exits (plus the one you are approaching on - but that doesnt count).

You approach from "6 o`clock", the 3 exits are at "9 o`clock, 12 o`clock and 3 o`clock"

If you intend to take the 9 o`clock exit - indicate left approaching the roundabout.

If you intend to take the 3 o`clock exit, indicate right approaching the roundabout, once past the 12 o`clock exit, indicate left to show your intention to take the 3 o`clock exit.

If you intend to take the 12 o`clock exit - do not indicate at all on the approach to the roundabout - once past the 9 o`clock exit, indicate left.

Dont tell me they have changed the highway bloody code so that you have to indicate right on the approach to the roundabout if you intend to take the 12 o`clock exit...

GroundedSLF
6th May 2009, 15:41
On the subject of indicators, a friend was once visiting Ireland, and was out for a drive (picture rolling countryside, small farms, "B" roads with small dirt tracks off of them).

Said friend was behind an older gentleman, who, without warning, applied his brakes (whilst travelling on a dead straight road) and turned into a farm.

Friend slammed on the anchors and almost ended up in a ditch. After prying his hands off the steering wheel, he climbed out of his car to "politly" ask why the other driver hadnt indicated, only to be told "everybody knows I live here".....

Storminnorm
6th May 2009, 15:50
It's like that in Sussex as well.

Gordy
6th May 2009, 16:40
HELP!!!

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j35/helokat/funnies/113.jpg

ShyTorque
6th May 2009, 18:33
I'm sure that there is a local TAX on using indicators in Sussex.
You only see visitors using them. Locals never do.
I'm still waiting for the bill to arrive for having the NERVE to
use mine indiscriminately.

Up north they are only used as decoys......

Blues&twos
7th May 2009, 18:57
http://majorhitwaves.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/swindons-magic-roundabout.jpg

Swindon's Magic Roundabout. Wouldn't mind seeing this in action during rush hour.

From the safety of a helicopter, preferably.

foresight
7th May 2009, 19:19
if you intend to take the 12 o`clock exit - do not indicate at all on the approach to the roundabout - once past the 9 o`clock exit, indicate left.

it's a daft rule. If you are waiting at the roundabout and you see a car not indicating, you have no idea where he intends to exit unless you saw where he came from. He could be obeying the rule or just not bothering to indicate.
I ignore it and indicate anyway.

SpannerInTheWerks
7th May 2009, 19:31
Most people are bad, impatient drivers who criticize others when the only people at fault are themselves!

Leads me to the oft quoted maxim, that tell a man you are f*****g his wife he might hit you, but tell him he's a bad driver he'll probably kill you!!! lol

LOL

SITW :}

Beatriz Fontana
7th May 2009, 19:33
The Magic Roundabout's a doddle. Great fun watching a learner driver tackle it.

jimtherev
7th May 2009, 19:59
http://majorhitwaves.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/swindons-magic-roundabout.jpg

Swindon's Magic Roundabout. Wouldn't mind seeing this in action during rush hour.

From the safety of a helicopter, preferably.

Had a friend who was a member of the group at Transport & Road Research Labs who 'invented' the magic roundabout. Had one of the first CCTV setups in UK. He claimed it was for driver research... the truth was that he could have made thousands charging admittance to the control room at Crowthorne. Always full at lunchtime :)

ExSp33db1rd
8th May 2009, 05:23
if you intend to take the 12 o`clock exit - do not indicate at all on the approach to the roundabout - once past the 9 o`clock exit, indicate left.

Agreed. The ONLY indicator needed on a roundabout is a left one just prior to YOUR exit. Vehicles showing no indicators must be assumed to be staying on the roundabout for ever - however many times they choose to go around ( see below ) - and joining and following drivers can act accordingly.

Unfortunately - in NZ they have just decreed that on approaching a roundabout one must indicate left if taking the first exit, nothing if going straight across, and right if going 3/4 around, then - change to a left indicator passing the exit prior to the one you wish to take. This ensures that drivers going straight across use a right indicator as they enter the roundabout - to show that they are now going to go right-handedly around it, which we all have to do for Chr***sakes. Sometimes ........ they then change that to a left indicator as they go straight across !!!

Riding my motorbike behind a right indicating car, I know that they are going 3/4 of the way around - aren't they ? - so pull over to the left and start to pass on their left side to take the exit I want ...... you know the rest.

The whole thing is crazy - see first para.

Remember the Mad Major ? He tried to set a record of going around the roundabout in Piccadilly Circus 100 times in a Bubble Car - remember those ? He was stopped by the fuzz, tho' they couldn't actually charge him with anything. He also tried to fly under all the bridges across the Thames in a Tiger Moth ( or was it an Auster ? )

MagnusP
8th May 2009, 10:03
GroundedSLF: Ah, gotcha. I thought you meant don't indicate either right or left for a "straight on". Apols.

Storminnorm
8th May 2009, 10:07
Exsp33dbird, Isn't it illegal to overtake on a roundabout?

Chesty Morgan
8th May 2009, 10:46
Norm, really? It's one of the best opportunities for burning up the flat caps in their beige Metro:E

Storminnorm
8th May 2009, 10:49
Nothing wrong with MY Metro matey, I'll have you know!!!!
Even if it is beige!!!

ExSp33db1rd
8th May 2009, 21:49
Isn't it illegal to overtake on a roundabout?

I guess its actually undertaking - one way or another !

As the car on my right is CLEARLY going to peel off further right, as it continues around to the next exit - as it is CLEARLY indicating that intention - it is difficult to resist not squeezing on a bit more power and starting to take advantage of the widening, motor cycle size, gap to the left that is now appearing for my sole use - then ....... well, you know the rest. ( still with the RIGHT indicator going of course ! )

Which takes me back to my original comment - right turn indicators should be TOTALLY banned on roundabouts. We all have to go in a clockwise direction ( in Countries that drive on the left, despite ones' first action being to turn left into the roundabout ! ) and can stay on the roundabout forever, all I need to know is when the car in front is going to swing across my bows to exit left.

I think NZ thought it would be nice to know if the preceeding vehicle is going most of the way around, and not straight across, hence the new rule to use a right indicator for a 3/4 circuit, but as there is an almost total misunderstanding of the concept it actually makes things worse, no indicator is better than an incorrect one - which is what happens most of the time, sadly.

I've bought a louder horn ! and a yellow jacket ! and drive with main beam headlight on ! Tough. ( Makes no difference. )

mona lot
8th May 2009, 23:28
Every car driver should complete a C.B.T., just so they know how it feels to be confronted with an opening car door at 50 mph:ok:

ExSp33db1rd
8th May 2009, 23:36
Every car driver should complete a C.B.T., just so they know how it feels to be confronted with an opening car door at 50 mph

..... or one turning in front of them at a roundabout, as they swing left with a right indicator going !

Mad Monk
9th May 2009, 01:11
As a car driver and a biker I HATE caravans. Firstly I like to see where I am going and they block they view, secondly most are driven by 'persons' with no road sense. :mad: Grrr.
Camper vans however are more sensibly driven and can roll on at a respectable speed. I driven a few, love Hymer just soo pricey. A friend has just had delivered an ihmotorhomes RioTl, 3 litre diesel. It may be biggish [twee by Yankee standards] but it do go.:D

P.S. Could not agree more with monalot, came to biking in my early thirties. I was a shit driver until I learned to ride.:cool:

hellsbrink
9th May 2009, 02:57
That's the thing that gets me, Mad Monk.

You have to pass an extra test to drive a truck with a trailer yet you can happily drive a car with an extra ton or two attached to the back with absolutely no extra knowledge on how to load it, the effects it has on your ability to drive like stopping distances, etc. Some of the things I've seen over the years have been absolutely frightening.

(Accomplished trailer driver. Had joys of watching SIL's face as I reversed car/trailer combo up the side of her house, just wide enough to get her Renault Camperéve through, with one mirror pulled in, so I didn't have the hassle of pushing trailer, and won't mention Dad's face when I took over and parked his caravan after he had 4 attempts. I wasn't pushing the damn thing. Best one was perfectly backing up a car/trailer combo after brother, who has HGV licence, couldn't. Sweet)

Farmer 1
9th May 2009, 08:07
As a car driver and a biker I HATE caravans. Firstly I like to see where I am going and they block they view

No problem with lorries & double-decker buses, though?

ShyTorque
9th May 2009, 09:30
You have to pass an extra test to drive a truck with a trailer yet you can happily drive a car with an extra ton or two attached to the back with absolutely no extra knowledge on how to load it, the effects it has on your ability to drive like stopping distances, etc. Some of the things I've seen over the years have been absolutely frightening.

The latest UK regs allow a trailer only up to 750 kgs on a car licence group B. Above 750 kgs you also need group E. Is this the case elsewhere in Europe?

Lon More
9th May 2009, 10:39
ExSp33dbird Wiki on the Mad Major. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_Draper).
Any relation of the FSL?

ExSp33db1rd
9th May 2009, 23:00
Lon More. Thanks, nearly right !

Can't remember too much about the Piccadilly Circus bubble car event, can't remember if it was one of the real 'bubble' cars, Isetta for instance, or the tandem seater Messerschmidt. The latter would obviously have appealed to his sense of humour I guess !

FSL ? Dunno !

ExS.......

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
10th May 2009, 01:43
Agreed. The ONLY indicator needed on a roundabout is a left one just prior to YOUR exit. Vehicles showing no indicators must be assumed to be staying on the roundabout for ever - however many times they choose to go around

Exactly right. Unfortunately, the entire drill goes to rat s**t at mini roundabouts wher the Highway Code assumes fish's tit status!

Lightning6
10th May 2009, 02:03
Rule 186 (http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Highwaycode/DG_070338) explains all.

ExSp33db1rd
10th May 2009, 04:09
No doubt about the rules, there are many that we have to obey, like them or not, and there would be little problem, exept ..........

.........be aware they may not be signalling correctly, or at all,

which is the whole problem.

Yes, if everybody stuck to the rules it would obviously be better, but as they don't then it would be better if right hand indicators were banned on roundabouts altogether that would make life a lot simpler i.e. assume nothing - I repeat, no indicator is worse than the wrong one.

All I want to know is when the car ahead is going to cross my bows, little else will affect me - and I'm not a mind reader !

Lightning6
10th May 2009, 04:37
If you've got a string of traffic coming from your 12o/c, no indication, but all want to do a 270 degree turn, you'll be waiting there for ages because you are assuming they are all going straight on! what happened to common sense? We're talking etiquette here, tell people where you are going, it's not too difficult to flick the stick up or down...Same as people who hold their cars on the footbrake at a standstill, do they not know they have a handbrake? Staring at bright red lights when you are in a jam is unnecessary and [email protected]@dy annoying....Rant over. :ugh:

Lightning6
10th May 2009, 04:58
I think one has to treat all drivers as idiots, they may not be, but it may keep you safe. We all make mistakes, but some of the things you see on the roads are sheer selfish stupidity.

ExSp33db1rd
10th May 2009, 05:42
If you've got a string of traffic coming from your 12o/c, no indication, but all want to do a 270 degree turn, you'll be waiting there for ages because you are assuming they are all going straight on!

??? If they are from 12 o'clock and I assume that they are going straight on - why would I wait ? Don't you mean I would have to wait if I thought they might be doing a 270, and of course then waste time if they went straight through ? Which brings me to another point ! ......

" Give Way " does not mean STOP !!! If you're at 12 o'clock and I'm at 6 o'clock why should I stop just because you are 'on' the roundabout ? No way am I going to impede your progress.

and ........ indicators are an indication of how you would like to change you present situation, when the road is clear for you to do it - not a " get our of my way 'cos I have my indicator going " dictate.

Etiquette ? long dead unfortunately. ( and I agree about the brake lights, too !! )

I guess we are stuck with what we've got, and can only drive to survive - not easy sometimes. But when we're World Dictator we'll change things, won't we !

I'm bored with this - Goodnight !

vapilot2004
10th May 2009, 06:00
I do my part to educate fellow drivers.

If there is a margin of safety I like to pull out in front of vehicles that have no lights on at dusk or in rainy weather.

Lightning6
10th May 2009, 19:24
ExSp33db1rd... Quote:
If you've got a string of traffic coming from your 12o/c, no indication, but all want to do a 270 degree turn, you'll be waiting there for ages because you are assuming they are all going straight on!
??? If they are from 12 o'clock and I assume that they are going straight on - why would I wait ? Don't you mean I would have to wait if I thought they might be doing a 270, and of course then waste time if they went straight through ?

Yes, that was a dumb thing to say (must have been the Scotch!), the point I was trying to make was that a large percentage of drivers go around roundabouts without indicating, so one assumes they are going straight on and one pulls out to be confronted with a car approaching your right, so you stop, then another followed by another etc, does the same, so you're left part way into the roundabout instead of behind the give way lines because they didn't indicate their intentions so that you could safely give way to them. Oh, and I don't STOP at roundabouts if my path is clear!!

ExSp33db1rd
11th May 2009, 08:13
Good ! Neither do I, but we are in a minority I fear.

Goodnight again.

( on another thread someone has asked what one would do if one were Hitler, all over again - I have some ideas, mostly related to roundabouts ! )

Lon More
11th May 2009, 08:24
I saw somewhere, here in NL boards on roundabouts advising drivers to indicat in time and thus speed up the traffic flow.

Bit of a waste of time, I thought, as 99% of the target market would be uneducatable (?) with a 4lb. lump hammer.

ExSp33db1rd
12th May 2009, 08:25
Maybe 'cos the boards aren't in Arabic, or Hindi, or Urdu, or Serbo-Croat ?