PDA

View Full Version : Boulton Paul Balliol T2 Serial Number WG180 - Which Unit?

Warmtoast
4th May 2009, 22:03
Another query please.

Photo taken at Biggin Hill in late 1954 of Boulton Paul Balliol T2. Serial Number WG180.

I have a very faint memory that this aircraft was possibly from 288 Sqn at Middle Wallop whose Balliols provided target aircraft for training all-weather fighter crews using Brigands of No.228 OCU at Colerne and also for the training of student Fighter Controllers at the Fighter Command Control and Reporting School also at Middle Wallop.

If anyone knows I'd be grateful for details of the Unit to which it belonged.

TVM.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/thawes/BoultonPaulBalliolT2-SerialNumberWG.jpg

Kieron Kirk
5th May 2009, 08:04
WG180 delivered 28th May 1953.

Served with 288 Squadron, who had Balliol T.2s at Middle Wallop from April 1953 until September 1957.

WG180 then went to 3/4 CAACU at Exeter. 3/4 CAACU was formed at Exeter 1st July 1954.

So either 288 Sqdn or 3/4 CAACU!

Did 288 Sqdn or 3/4 CAACU aircraft display any unit markings?

When did 3/4 CAACU start using Balliol T.2s?

Ciarain.

Warmtoast
5th May 2009, 20:14
KK

Thanks for the info which confirms the rather faded scribbled notes in my photo album that this aircraft was from 288 Sqn at Middle Wallop.

It was taken during the 1954 Royal Observer Corps 'Recognition Day' that was held annually at Biggin Hill when a variety of RAF, RN and USAF aircraft were flown in so members of the Royal Observer Corps could see up close the friendly aircraft they were expected to recognise in the air.

Among other photos I took at the event was one of a 56 Sqn (Waterbeach) Swift F.1. Swifts were grounded in August 1954 because of major control problems when flying at high altitude which resulted in several accidents, so my photos must have been taken earlier than August 1954; hazarding a guess, probably late spring of that year.