PDA

View Full Version : Dry motoring

jaykay88
4th May 2009, 17:46
Hi all.

Just wanted to ask about a topic i'm currently doing a study on. I understand that dry motoring is the process of using the starter motor to turn the engines. My question is could this be performed inside a maintenance hangar? Would this meet occupational safety and health standards?

Thanks for your time.
Jay

h3dxb
4th May 2009, 18:24
It depends from yr company. The manufacture does not forbid it. The only caution is : MAKE SURE THAT ALL ENGINE AREAS ARE AS CLEAR AS POSSIBLE

Actual we did it after MX checks in the hangar. But we had to wear ear protection. Don't know yr standarts.

rgds

Swedish Steve
4th May 2009, 18:24
I suppose it depends on where you live.
Here in ARN we run the APU and do engine washes in the hangar (with the doors open)
Don't have much choice in the winter!

jaykay88
4th May 2009, 22:57
Thanks a lot for your help! :O

muduckace
5th May 2009, 05:25
(DRY MOTORING) is a common practice, many hangars have an external air supply (no need for APU usage) 20-40psi @ required volume for the motor is mainly a process to perform a leak check after a motor change.

The thrust is not really significant.

It is also a good procedure operationally, to use after a failed (ignititor) start to exaust fuel that can accumulate in the turbine/tailcone prior to selecting the other ignition source to attempt another engine start as a tailcone fire is likely.

604guy
5th May 2009, 21:52
Our maintenance folks do it with some regularity when conducting turbine washes. All done in accordance with manufacturer's instructions/recommendations and other guidance material.