PDA

View Full Version : Gone crazy...

HugMonster
27th Sep 2000, 00:46
This evening I flew as a passenger LGW-NCL. On going through the security barrier @ LGW, I used the queue for the scanner arches marked "Domestic UK & NI", and on emerging at the other end, was approached by a little guy identifying himself as a Customs Officer asking to see my passport. Since it always lives in my flight case, I happened to have it with me, but I made a remark about not realising it was needed for a trip to Newcastle. He then said "OK, if you're going to Newcaslte, I won't bother you further".

So what was he doing checking people from the domestic queue, when international pax had three other lines of their own?

I then went into one of the shops in the departure lounge. At the till, I was asked for my boarding card. I asked why, since everyone in the lounge is a passenger, and was told that it was a requirement of HM Customs, because goods were tax-free. "Yes," I said, "but there is no distinction for tax between domestic and international passengers, and everyone in the lounge has a boarding card to get in here, so why ask for a boarding card, when it doesn't tell them anything of any use?"

Somebody, somewhere, is thinking up new and ever dafter rules to ensure that their little empire is not whittled away... And their subordinates are carrying them out with thumbs up bums and brains in neutral, without once thinking that rules need to have some reasoning behind them.

[This message has been edited by HugMonster (edited 26 September 2000).]

Conky Joe
27th Sep 2000, 14:43
Asking for your passport in the domestic security check seems daft I agree. I'm not familiar with LGW but from your description it seems a bit of a security loophole if Customs want to check international passengers' passports yet they can easily go through the domestic channel thereby avoiding their passports being checked?? And if the domestic channel includes passengers to Northern Ireland, does that save the IRA forking out for fake passports every time they nip in and out on a bombing run?

Asking for your boarding pass however is to ensure only passengers avail themselves of the duty free - not airside staff who aren't going anywhere. Meanies!

piston broke
28th Sep 2000, 02:36
Surely asking for a passport for any EEC destination is unnecessary according to the Treaty of Rome. We are supposed, according to European Law, to be able to travel without one in the EEC. What has gone wrong? Has anybody tried to assert their rights with a driving licence, library or NHS card? Did it work?

a_random
28th Sep 2000, 02:55
Piston : My father forgot his passport on a business trip to Germany, by ferry. P&O agreed to carry him (not so easy on an aircraft, as they are responsible for repatriation if entry is denied) and the French immigration accepted his driving licence (of course without photograph). So you have to get the carrier to agree to carry you, then immigration the other side to accept you.

It is not quite correct to say that we are able to travel without passports in the EU. Although it was, I believe in the treaty of Rome, it has only been implemented - under the Schengen agreement - between certain coutries, not including the UK (probably because of PIRA).

lineup
28th Sep 2000, 14:45
I have the felling, that everybody with a uniform,<white(pilot)shirt, some bar's> on there shoulder and a high vis. jacket is very importend and have something to say. THERE ALL ON A POWER TRIP.
I guess, there have nothing to say at home :)

Charles Glass
28th Sep 2000, 21:49
Could you run that past me again please. This time try a language spoken on earth.

Mycroft
29th Sep 2000, 15:23
I was once transferring at AMS and there was some confusion as to who was dealing with the transfer with the result that I was going from one area to another, most of the time via passport control

cox
29th Sep 2000, 17:05
You mention travelling between countries in Europe without passports.

As you may know, Denmark is a non-Schengen country, and loves tootling its own horn. Especially yesterday (aaargh. Ex-commies and neo-nazis and stay-at-homes....ahem. Sorry)

I live 20 miles from the German border, and this means that I can't go and buy cheap beer without bringing my passport.

Now: we're talking cross the line, go 50 yds, park the car, buy the beer, load the car, drive 50 yds, cross the line, drive home.

The beer, by the way, is brewed within 100 miles of the border, trucked to Germany to a central logistics facility somewhere down south, trucked back to the border shops, picked up by thirsty Danes, and taken back to Denmark. :rolleyes: Where's the logic in that? I guess it's the same all over.

Have you tried tax-free shopping in Philly, btw?

rgds
Charlie Oscar X-ray