PDA

View Full Version : It's so unfair

OFSO
4th May 2009, 13:13
Whenever I go to the doctors for a checkup (being a man I don't actually get ill) I am met with some gruff-voiced old miserable bugger who is scathing about my weight, horrified about my blood pressure, considers my triglycerides a lost cause, and predicts I'll be dead before I get out of his surgery, if not his actual examining room.

So this morning I had to take Buster Baggins the Cat to the vet in our local town. We were enchanted to be met by two lovely young girls, sorry, qualified vetenarians of the female persuasion, at the sight of whom Buster's spirits perked up immediately (to say nothing of mine), head-rubs and purrs all round (him, not - sadly - me), who pronounced him a "sweetie", dispensed cuddles, and for whom he prostrated himself shamelessly while blood samples and temperature were taken and checked, to be told "you're just fine..." after an injection of antibiotics and steroids.

We both left feeling rather uplifted, in truth Buster seemed sorry to have to leave (and I know I was).

As so often, I was left with the impression that domestic pets have a far better quality of life than us humans.....

olliew
4th May 2009, 13:40
Reminds of my old labradog, Fred. Sadly now passed on to chase cats in the sky, he was always terrified of the vet until we took him to a drop dead gorgeous (his words not mine) Kiwi vet. As soon as he walked into her surgery he perked up to the extent that he finished up giving her face a big slobbery lick. Although we had ten tenths insurance the vet assured me that it would not cover the cost of consequence if I were to try the same. Lucky dog!

bnt
4th May 2009, 14:19
Makes me realise how lucky I am, I suppose. I'm getting checkups every 3 months, because I'm on a Phase III drug trial (FTY720 (http://drugdiscovery.pharmaceutical-business-review.com/news/novartis_reports_positive_results_from_phase_iii_multiple_sc lerosis_trial_010509)) that is ending at the end of June after two years. Nearly everyone involved is female, including the doctors, though the main trial nurse was about 8 months pregnant when I saw her a month ago, and so I'll have someone else in June. I've lost a good bit of weight so far this year, so I had a group of ladies telling me how good and healthy I looked: result! Now, if only they had some single friends, eh? :}

Storminnorm
4th May 2009, 14:54
Lots of single ladies in Eire I thought bnt?
Most of the blokes have migrated.
Hence "Oirish" bars all over the World.

bnt
4th May 2009, 15:06
Unfortunately, not being "Oirish" myself, there are definite "barriers to entry" between me and the general social scene. I have no interest in picking up wimmen in bars, which is where almost all the action is, where my deep foreign accent doesn't carry over the noise and I have to say everything three times. That gets real old real quick, like. :bored:

I've met quite a few medical people now, and in general, I almost never have to repeat myself when I'm talking to professionals. Suits me.

Storminnorm
4th May 2009, 15:12
Do you know, I never realised that so many women fell over
in bars in Eire. I could come out there sometime and lend a hand.
But you can pick up the big ones.

OFSO
4th May 2009, 15:54
Do you know, I never realised that so many women fell over in bars in Eire.

The trick is, SN; to stand well back as they start to topple. None of this foolish "catch 'em on the way down" - it leads to hernias. Then when they are down and groggy (although being 'groggy' is more than likely what caused the fall in the FP) you can pick 'em up and be Prince Charming (or Princess Charming if that's your thing). Interestingly my favourite Irish/American author, J P Donleavy, claims that some women actually bounce when they hit the floor, never seen this myself.

StaceyF
4th May 2009, 16:02
As so often, I was left with the impression that domestic pets have a far better quality of life than us humans.....

Ahhhhh, the veterinary practice I use has 3,100 "patients" on its books ranging from Siberian hamsters to fully-fledged racehorses that compete at Cheltenham and the like.......and a single Bengal cat that belongs to me.

So you can imagine the fuss that the female staff give my boy when he turns up (very noisily) for any sort of treatment/checkup. We've taught him to interact so any sort of talk from the staff gets a response.

"Oooooh isn't he lush?" and "I want to take him home and cuddle him all night" are frequent phrases.....which perk my blokes eyes up but, strangely, don't do anything for me.

According to my bloke, you might be right about pets getting all the perks......

Storminnorm
4th May 2009, 16:11
OFSO, thanks for that info. I suppose it depends on the "Chubiness"
factor on just how far they "bounce."
An interesting point that.
bnt didn't have any interest in picking them up though.

OFSO
4th May 2009, 17:43
Gobona Stick wrote: You could always pop in and say you want to be castr...ah, ok, I see what you mean

Actually one of these georgeous medical ladies did slide her hand under my cat's belly, fondle him gently, and say "I see he's been castrated".

This has never happened to me, not being castrated, the other thing....

A few years ago I asked one of the local lady vets - a jolly lady with a good sense of humour - if she would be prepared to treat me for a problem. She thought for a minute or two and replied "Hmm..... well, I am trained to work on gorillas, so yes, I could treat you...."

Still don't know how to take it (other than lying down on a stainless steel table with a banana in my mouth).

The SSK
4th May 2009, 19:18
Went to see the doc on Saturday for my annual prostate check, he had his usual 'I'm not enjoying this any more than you are' face on. I guess you don't ask lady doctors to do that kind of thing.

My dentist is a babe though - definitely helps to ease the pain.

Rwy in Sight
4th May 2009, 19:19
OSFO,

Think also about temprature taking. You would not want to have your temprature taken like it is done on your feline friend.

Now a man with a cat that can work wonders with ladies.

Rwy in Sight

OFSO
4th May 2009, 19:40
I know it's a bit grim, but won't be much more temperature-taking - vet just phoned to say Buster's got renal insufficiency. Bad news with a cat, as symptoms don't show until they are down to 30% of kidney function, and the lost 70% is gone for ever.

Still, somewhere between 13 and 14 happy years of life, not bad for a cat who in the first flush of youth walked in our front door in 1998 and asked for a home.

But when he goes it will leave a huge hole in our lives.

Well, back to the limerick thread.....tomorrow.

BombayDuck
4th May 2009, 21:29
Hard Luck, OFSO. Glad you had a good time with him. Hope you can cherish the memories for long.

tinpis
4th May 2009, 22:06
Sad news indeed matey...

Just remember..

http://www.augk18.dsl.pipex.com/LOLCats/cat-realizes-where-the-thermometer-goes.jpg