PDA

View Full Version : Football

AdamJones
4th May 2009, 09:25
Is David Beckham still with AC Milan? There were rumours about him may not wanting to continue? With FIFA2010 drawing closer, excitement is sure building up about the most sought after soccer cult.

Roger Sofarover
4th May 2009, 13:13
Adam

I don't give the thread more than a couple of hours before it is deleted, don't be disappointed now, but this will go, it is just when. Beckham (indeed all celeb) threads don't tend to last. Welcome anyway.

chiglet
4th May 2009, 19:37
Who is David Beckham?
With FIFA2010 drawing closer, excitement is sure building up about the most sought after soccer cult.Spelling????:E

Arch Stanton
4th May 2009, 19:43
Standby for bitter and twisted comments from the rugger crowd who failed to make it into the school football team, and still have a chip on their shoulder about the beautiful game.;)

Little Blue
4th May 2009, 20:27
My father always told me,
'Son, never trust a man who doesn't drink or doesn't like football'
Well, seeing as watching Derby County has driven me to drink, then maybe he was taking the p*ss!

Sprogget
4th May 2009, 20:31
Any truth in the rumour That Berbatov was actually signed from Madame Tussauds?

CR2
5th May 2009, 02:15
Adam, you've walked into the lion's den with your first post here on JetBlast. Don't despair; everyone is cynical as hell, just love chewing up FNG's for fun.

:}

If Beckham has any sense he'd better not return to the US. He shafted the LA Galaxy, shafted all the supporters who went and bought his shirt for $100, shafted all the supporters who spent a lot of money to watch him play (on the very few occasions he did play). He is a good player; great... hmmmm I don't know, history will tell us.

Kenny Dalglish of Celtic and Liverpool was a great player, my childhood football hero... I was stunned the other day when I read he's almost 60 now :eek:

Welcome...er

Sprogget
6th May 2009, 08:15
http://i43.tinypic.com/x0p9tz.jpg

Enough said. Bye bye the Arse.

angels
6th May 2009, 11:02
Beckahm is still with the Galaxy.

AC Milan have said they want to buy him during the January transfer window.

Looks like Arch Stanton got it right!!!

Storminnorm
6th May 2009, 15:54
I don't like Manure Utd, but I loved 'em last night!!
Thrashed Arse nal.... Great!!!!

Effluent Man
6th May 2009, 19:29
Presumably a "tea totaler" is someone who doesn't drink tea?

Ken Wells
6th May 2009, 20:47
Presumably a "tea totaler" is someone who doesn't drink tea?teetotaler is a corrupted spelling of tea totaler, meaning that, in colonial times when liquid beverage options were much more limited, one either drank tea (a drink so popular that colonists revolted when the British imposed a tax on tea imports leading to what we call the Boston Tea Party) or drank wine and other alcoholic beverages like ale and whiskey. If one chose, for religious or other reasons to abstain from alcohol, then you drank tea exclusively, hence a tea totaler: OK Effluent Man?

Getting back to the footy theme, I am now watching J Terry in tears and Drogba behaving like a spoilt brat live on TV.

Amazingly Drogba almost attacking the referee over a Armpit ball not Handball.
He then turned to the camera LIVE and screamed "it is a f&*king disgrace" live on air. He is a F&*cking Disgrace.
As he spent most of ther game on the ground again, how would he know????

Come on Barcelona in the final!!!

Ken Wells
6th May 2009, 21:16
Always liked Norway

ChristiaanJ
6th May 2009, 21:44
Is this about football or soccer?

This being an international forum you could at least get the terminology right....

Not that either "sport" is at all interesting....

Ken Wells
6th May 2009, 21:54
Er Football is Soccer, it is only the chaps that strap half a sofa to themselves across the pond that seem to think a game you play primarily with your hands should be called Football.

NFL is not really international, we've these threads before, so lets not bother to go there again.

Richard Taylor
7th May 2009, 06:08
I'm no Chelski fan but the Norwegian ref should go back to reindeer farming. He was suspiciously incompetent.

Platini will be pleased. :suspect:

But having seen Barca wallop a woeful Real Madrid on Sat, I'm pleased to see they made it...even though perhaps they were lucky to get there.

qwertyplop
7th May 2009, 06:10
Anyone else get the impression that if this numpty had spent less time rolling around on the floor last night and generally trying out for an Oscar, injury time might not have gone on so long and Chelsea might be looking forward to they're 2nd Champions League final in a row?

The referee was a disgrace but Drogba is just a prat, a special kind of prat in a 'profession' full of prat's.

BBC SPORT | Football | Europe | Furious Drogba rages at referee (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/europe/8037118.stm)

D SQDRN 97th IOTC
7th May 2009, 06:22
Drogba should be banned for a whole season for "referee abuse".
Appalling scenes at the end......and I couldn't agree with you more.

angels
7th May 2009, 06:39
I thought it was all kind of funny.

Ballack is as useful as a chocolate teapot and Drogba has had his comeuppance. If he'd taken his chances Chelsea would have been through comfortably. And not only the ones he had yesterday, remember the chance just before half time at the Nou Camp?

Barca were comfortably the better footballing side and although Chelsea's defence were great, one goal was never enough.

vonbag
7th May 2009, 06:51
At least he didn't touch him (or spit, throw objects at him).
I have seen worse!

wiggy
7th May 2009, 06:54
Personally I thought Barca were c*** until they realised, after 90 minutes, that time was fast running out and decided they had better go direct to goal, instead of p**** around playing supposedly beautiful football on the edge of the box.

Chelsea were by far the better side and were hard done by by the Referee - then again they missed chances in open play that should have settled it.

As for Drogba....well his rolling around on the floor even seemed to convince his own bench he needed to come off :D. The Radio 5 commentator (? Alan Green ) made the comment along the lines of " He's a great player, but is it any wonder people find him hard to love":}:}

Hope the same Barca team ( with a few forced defensive changes of course) turn up in Rome on the 27th......

Sprogget
7th May 2009, 06:58
Football is football. Soccer is the pale imitation that periodically fails to take off in the States.;)

Roger Sofarover
7th May 2009, 07:08
qwertyplop

You beat me to it. I was going to comment last night but as it was 3am here I thought I would have a kip first. Chelsea needed footballers upfront not actors. It has been a major part of Chelsea's game for a while now, Joe Cole is just as bad, but last night Drogba was a complete disgrace, to the game, to his club and teammates and more importantly the Chelsea fans. It was laughable, no, embarrassing to watch him roll around in agony at the slightest physical contact. I am sure Hiddink (sp?) brought him off because he too was disgusted with the behaviour. Chelsea got their comuppance. They were gifted an advantage by the referee, when he sent off the Barca player for absolutely no valid reason whatsoever, and they failed to monopolise on it. If I were the Chelsea owner, regardless of Drogba's worth, I would have him sat on the bench for the entire remainder of his contract and maybe play him on the reserve team only. I have no idea what he was thinking. You could understand Barca players rolling on the ground to try and get an injury time advantage, but Chelsea needed the absolute minimum of injury time added. His behaviour at the end was that of a real rolemodel to younger kids ...NOT! and clearly an attempt to put all the blame on the ref when Drogba new he had fu***d his team up.

The ref went to pieces after his wrong red card decision on Barca, which leads me to my last point. When oh when are they going to bring in video reffing to football. It has worked for years in Rugby, US football, Basketball etc tec. There is so much riding on some of these games now. It is not like 30 years ago. These decisions can cost a club tens of millions, as Chelsea found out last night, when two 100% handballs by Barca players in their own box were not awarded. Video reffing does not ruin the flow of a game and only needs to be applied on critical decisons. Can someone explain why we do not have it?

wiggy
Hope the same Barca team ( with a few forced defensive changes of course) turn up in Rome on the 27th

including the Barca player who should never have been sent off.

qwertyplop
7th May 2009, 08:40
Can't understand why he's not on the transfer list this morning. He's clearly a talented player, why does he not let his feet do the talking?

Ronaldo is another one, my 7 year old is more mature.

:mad:

Sprogget
7th May 2009, 08:46
If I were the Chelsea owner, regardless of Drogba's worth, I would have him sat on the bench for the entire remainder of his contract and maybe play him on the reserve team only.

Then you would be cutting your nose off to spite your face. Set an example & let everyone else in or play a proven goalscorer? Hmmm, I wonder which Mr. Abramovich would prefer.

Chelsea are a riot of indisciplne I agree, from Cashley Cole to Terry the Thug & Michael Ball-ache & especially Drogba. But bench the guy? naive in the extreme to say that.

Ken Wells
7th May 2009, 08:53
I already commented on this under "Latest News on Footy" thread

Getting back to the footy theme, I am now watching J Terry in tears and Drogba behaving like a spoilt brat live on TV.

Amazingly Drogba almost attacking the referee over an Armpit ball not Handball.
He then turned to the camera LIVE and screamed "it is a f&*king disgrace" live on air. He is a F&*cking Disgrace.
As he spent most of the game on the ground again, how would he know????

Come on Barcelona in the final!!!

Drogba turned to the camera like a WILD animal and screamed "it is a f&*king disgrace" knowing it was a live world wide broadcast. According to today’s Telegraph, he then had another go at the ref in the tunnel.

This cheating lump has got to be disciplined. Even the TV pundits tried to play it down by quoting the emotion, the frustration. Sorry don't see aggressive neanderthal actions like that in Rugby.

John Terry is quoted as supporting Drogba's behaviour, no surprise there then Kettle, Pot, Black etc. Temp Manager Guus Hiddink even tried to explain this savage out burst as emotion!

If Drogba wants referees to be more Foul aware , he should spend less time diving at the ground. This is what happens when a player cries Wolf once too often. If he broke a leg no one would even notice, as he spends so much time on the deck simulating pain, he should be sponsored by NUROFEN!!

This is why football is now a broken sport, from Joey Barton to Winking Ronaldo. Big salaries small brains.

WAGS and NAGS:

On the back page of the Sports section, there is a piece on J Terry’s wife now wanting to compete in dressage. I hope she doesn’t take her Mother with her, ‘cause the trophies will probably disappear

henry crun
7th May 2009, 09:02
I have a question that one of you soccer fans may be able to answer.

Any incident the least bit controversial, and the referee is surrounded by a mob of players questioning his decision.

Why is this allowed ?

racedo
7th May 2009, 09:16
Any incident the least bit controversial, and the referee is surrounded by a mob of players questioning his decision.

Why is this allowed ?

Its NOT. You are not necessarily trying to get the ref to change their decision here but trying to influence the next decision the ref makes.

Ref taking out Yellow card for each time they surround him and book 5 players stops it happening very quickly as next time you send them off.

Bill16STN
7th May 2009, 09:30
We've been talking about this subject of "simulated injury" here at work & have decided that the best course of action for the authorities to take would be to expand on the rule that the player has to go off the pitch to come back on.

So with this in mind; should a player hit the floor & then proceed to roll around in agony, then therefore he MUST be severely injured & require medical assistance / injury appraisal? Therefore he should have to leave the field of play for a minimum period of time, maybe either 5 or 10 minutes – time limit to be enforced by the fourth official. His club would of course be able to make an immediate & permanent substitution (from their current allocation of substitutes) within this time period.

So basically just call their bluff!?!

This could maybe make the “little dears” think about what they are doing?
The managers would then apply some pressure onto the “little dears” to stop this?
It would obviously be in the best interest of the “little dears” as they seem so prone to injury, stress, exhaustion & “burn out” so that it would (or should?) get the backing of the managers who so regularly bemoan “fixture congestion” & the fact that their “little dears” are SO tired that they couldn’t possibly play 2 games a week …..

Just a thought?

Sprogget
7th May 2009, 09:36
...And a good one. Properly injured players don't roll around. They lie still.

qwertyplop
7th May 2009, 09:44
Football365.com - The Real Disgrace Was Didier Drogba - Mailbox - Football365 News (http://www.football365.com/mailbox/story/0,17033,8744_5292666,00.html)

Interesting discussion about Karma.....

henry crun
7th May 2009, 09:44
Thank you racedo, the only time I watch soccer is the very brief clips that are shown on my sports news, so I just see what I described, not the outcome that you have explained.

SINGAPURCANAC
7th May 2009, 09:48
There is no Champions league without Liverpool,Porto or Partizan.
only true champions could represent this Champion League.
:ok:

racedo
7th May 2009, 10:08
There is no Champions league without Liverpool,Porto or Partizan.
only true champions could represent this Champion League.

Liverpool haven't won English League since 1989 so how should they be in as Champions ?????????

qwertyplop
7th May 2009, 10:34
So the multiple champions of England and Europe playing the champions elect of Spain (and also one of the top 6 clubs in Europe with numerous European trophies) does not constitute the cream of European football?

So passing through all stages of the competition and knockout games to get to the final means nothing?

FFS.

angels
7th May 2009, 11:16
Liverpool haven't won English League since 1989 so how should they be in as Champions ?????????

The bulk of the sides in the 'Champions' League aren't champions of their domestic leagues! EG Barcelona....

wiggy
7th May 2009, 12:07
""Hope the same Barca team ( with a few forced defensive changes of course) turn up in Rome on the 27th"

including the Barca player who should never have been sent off."

That's fine by me as long as the same logic applies to United, meaning Fletcher can play.....

Ken Wells
7th May 2009, 14:15
I have a question that one of you soccer fans may be able to answer.

Why is this allowed ?

As previous posts, that's the point, it's not!!!. We have a weak FA not willing to support referees and bow to the pressure of the money men.

UEFA is not much better, when referees try to be firm they are criticised by winging managers, who protest only when the ruling is against them. Sir Alec is a past master at this.

Everyone agrees that the players need to be hit where it hurts most, in the wallet. Match bans do not work, we have seen Terry and others activley look to be booked, to clear the path for bigger future games.

If Ballack and Drogba got 1 year wages fine for their childish, tribal behaviour last night, they might think twice before doing it again.

Cheat or dive or swear at the ref and lose the cars! it might just work. Altghough after a while Rooney and Barton might even owe the FA money!!!!!!!!!

Krystal n chips
7th May 2009, 16:52
Well according to the Chelsea manager, it was not the lack of scoring goals that caused Chelsea to erm, lose...it was a "conspiracy".....so, a new slant on the grassy knoll version then.....or the invisible lizards from Mars who kept the ball out of the net...take your pick here...no shortage of conspiracy theories after all......:rolleyes:

And according to the followers at work, it seems that Man Utd have asked for a red card to be overturned on "compassionate grounds"....awww:{

Large packet of Kleenex please for the players........and a large bucket for the rest of us to go.....:yuk: into. Tis indeed, a "beautiful" game.....:mad:

racedo
10th May 2009, 21:01
Suggestions are that at last WC the Carragher family.....uncle and cousin of one Jamie became well know to Ma of one Chelsea footballer with initials JT in the back of a camper van.

This of course is an alledged "rumour" shared out by members of the Gerrard / Rooney and Carragher familes shortly after said event.

Sprogget
10th May 2009, 21:54
Yeah? I hoped he checked his pockets after. Come to think of it, I hope she did too.:rolleyes:

qwertyplop
16th May 2009, 16:06
One week to go - who are your picks for Championship football next season?

I would say;

West Bromwich Albion
Middlesbrough
Newcastle

What's the deal with Newcastle - EVERYONE seems to want them to go down....

StaceyF
16th May 2009, 16:11
The problem with them staying up is that everyone will think Shearer is God......sometimes a dose of healthy reality is better for everyone all round.

qwertyplop
16th May 2009, 16:15
Agreed, as a club they've had this coming for a while in terms of how they sack managers, the overblown view of themselves as a 'big club', the whole stupid hysteria around Keegan and Shearer as something akin to the second coming.........they have the look of Leeds about them.

Time overdue for a slight readjustment in their own view of the club and the realisation that 50000 crowds don't qualify you for top flight football. It takes a whole lot more and they are at the bottom of a very steep learning curve I think.....

Storminnorm
16th May 2009, 16:28
The Toon wil go Doon!!!
Sorry, that's how it is.
But they'll be back!!!

Richard Taylor
17th May 2009, 20:05
There's a distinct lack of pace on the field just now. Owen (the injury-prone one of today, who has lost about 5yds of pace) & Viduka cannot go by opposition defenders. Martens is the only one with pace, but all of their main forwards have been injured this season. Smith, Butt in midfield the same - a lack of pace.

I do think they will go down, with WBA. And I think Middlesbrough will also fall.

Big Tudor
17th May 2009, 20:18
West Brom are gone.
Boro can only stay up on statistics (never the firmest foundation), although not totally unheard of.
Newcastle - not sure about this one. They have to win at Villa, that goes without saying. However, their fate does somewhat rest in the hands of Man Utd. Hull need to beat Utd to be certain of staying up. Does Sir Alec field a 2nd team, mindful of the Champions League final? Or does he play for the victory? Newcastle have superior goal difference to Hull so even a draw could save the Toon.

As Paris-Dakar has said, maybe a spell out of the top flight will get some perspective back on Tyneside. The thing to be careful of is that the drop can sometimes be further than you think. Leeds, Leicester, Notts Forest, Southampton & Charlton can all vouch for that.

And there is also the fact that if NUFC go down Sunderland will stay up. And that is probably more than any Geordie can take :ouch:

racedo
17th May 2009, 21:03
I think Boro and Newcastle will join WBA.

Man Utd will field a very weakened team next weekend but even their weakened team could get a result.

Newcastle and Boro have to win away and just don't see that happening.

eticket
17th May 2009, 21:14
Words that are just not supposed to go together.

"Peterborough United and Newcastle United are playing in the same league next season".

A Cambridge supporter now looking forward to a fifth season of non-league football. :(

Sprogget
17th May 2009, 21:29
Hull won't beat manure no matter what team Sir fields. Newcastle needed to score a few more and ship a few less.

If I were a geordie, I'd be fuming at the commitment of more than one or two players & despairing of any manager who believed they could harness the thug Barton. Still it just goes to show that you don't advance by sacking managers.

Buster Hyman
17th May 2009, 22:04
Now, would it be fair to say that watching the FA Cup final, there will be Chelski supporters and the rest of the free world???:E

Sprogget
17th May 2009, 22:09
Fellaini still looks like Bruno from Fame.:}

reynoldsno1
17th May 2009, 23:00
So when is the premiership going to be renamed the 'four-team tournament'?

Avitor
17th May 2009, 23:29
Hull need to beat Man U reserves next week and they will survive, not beyond them.

Effluent Man
18th May 2009, 09:15
Remember St.Kev's outburst against Sir Alex ? "I would just love it if they fail". Payback time?

passy777
18th May 2009, 09:32
And there is also the fact that if NUFC go down Sunderland will stay up. And that is probably more than any Geordie can take

Ouch!!!!

The reality hurts though. I have committed myself to baring my ar$e in Fenwicks window if the toon stays up and that isn't a pretty sight I might add.

Leeds UTD are testament that no club is too big to go down and Newcastle have a worrying similarity to the Yorkshire club. I fear the worst for them I really do!:{

Sprogget
18th May 2009, 11:37
Because Keegan is not a good manager, tactically or emotionally. Ashley at least saw that, unlike the hordes of NUFC fans who inexplicably hold him up to be the messiah.

The fact that they could only get Kinnear speaks volumes about the state of that club. I bet even Les Reed turned it down:}

Blacksheep
18th May 2009, 11:50
Newcastle and Boro have to win away and just don't see that happening.Boro often pull big surprises at away games; its their home performance that has always let them down.

Effluent Man
18th May 2009, 14:08
'Boro don't just have to win away.Assuming Hull lose to Man U Boro need to gain 5 in goal difference on them.4 would put them level on GD but because they have scored fewer than Hull they need the extra goal.
So,assuming Newcastle lose to Villa,if Hull lost 2-0 'Boro would still need to beat West Ham by three clear goals to avoid the drop.Technically it's possible for 'Boro to survive,but that's all.

SpringHeeledJack
18th May 2009, 15:28
So when is the premiership going to be renamed the 'four-team tournament'?

It effectively is already..... A sort of Harlem Globe Trotters against all the lemons. It's always going to happen when nigh on unlimited cash is splashed out by individuals and/or groups. The fans can also take full blame, selling their souls for the next galactico that can be bought to 'strengthen the squad' etc from abroad. Result!

However, the only result is an overpriced entertainment experience, where a few teams are overly dominant against lesser teams that are effectively playing in another league. These dominant teams are effectively androgynous with no character (only that bestowed upon them by the faithful) that are designed to play against the other dominants from around europe and for that matter the world, where football is played. I appear to be a lone voice chanting against the wind, but i don't see the leagues becoming 'healthy' again until home talent is encouraged and played and the fans support their home team, rather than some multi-national sporting company wet dream :mad:

Regards

SHJ

Ancient Observer
18th May 2009, 15:59
Why do so many of the posts on here refer to Soccer? This thread is supposed to be about football, so we should be talking about the plucky London Irish, and the very lucky Leicester Tigers.
All these references to the Sky business game, soccer, should be somewhere else.

BombayDuck
18th May 2009, 18:25
Strangely, some of the rules that I feel should be implemented come from the Indian Premier League - the dog-and-pony-show masquerading as a cricket tournament currently taking place in South Africa (yes, the Indian Premier League!).

The rules:

1) No more than four foreign players at any time on the field for one team (and a maximum of eight in the entire squad)

2) At least one under-22 player per playing XI (and a minimum of four in each squad) and four per squad.

3) At least (I think) two players from the catchment area (the state hosting the team and its neighbours) in the playing XI and four per squad.

This has resulted in a LOT of local talent getting exposure to international powerhouses, and having a chance to demonstrate that they can be good enough at the top level. No one had heard about players like Shadab Jakati before he started dismissing A-list batsmen.

I suppose the EPL does have such rules in place, but they are too slack.

racedo
18th May 2009, 21:59
so we should be talking about the plucky London Irish, and the very lucky Leicester Tigers.

Was there :ok:

Love the Ref Link where you can hear what the ref says the whole way through the game.

Kinky Boots
18th May 2009, 22:05
I was there too. Shame about not taking the penalties:= But roll on next season!

N707ZS
19th May 2009, 07:21
Heard Fly-be might dedicate G-ECOK! To Shearer to celebrate all the medals and trophies that he has won :uhoh:

Spelling yellow card eek!

passy777
19th May 2009, 08:26
Heard Fly-be might dedicate G-ECOK! to Shearer to celibrate all the medals and trophies that he has wone

There certainly won't be any trophies and medals on offer here for spelling.:rolleyes:

Richard Taylor
19th May 2009, 18:13
Religation more like! :}

er340790
19th May 2009, 20:38
Just going to say what a GREAT JOB Tony Pulis, his guys and the supporters did at Stoke this season. 122.6db at the Britannia recorded last Saturday - no other UK crowd has ever got above 100db.

BBC - Stoke & Staffordshire - Radio Stoke - Potters fans sing 'cum on feel the noize' (http://www.bbc.co.uk/stoke/content/articles/2009/05/18/stokes_loudest_fans_feature.shtml)

Nice too for the Midlands to be getting Birmingham and Wolves back. I've never got used to there being no Derby, Notts Forest, Coventry and Leicester in the Prem.

Long-term prediction is for Burton Albion to advance to the Prem by 2012/13 with Coors gettingsome real sponsorship behind them. You saw it here.

Andy_S
20th May 2009, 10:47
Nice too for the Midlands to be getting Birmingham, Wolves and Sheffield Utd back.

Unless I've missed something, Sheff Utd aren't back in the Premiership. At least not yet. And I'm not convinced they're in the Midlands either.

Sprogget
25th May 2009, 12:13
I wonder who will be the next Tyneside messiah. Ant or Dec?

er340790
25th May 2009, 12:19
I predict that Man U will win by 4 points on 90 and that Newcastle, M/boro and WBA will drop.

I further predict that despite avoiding the drop, Sunderland's Sbragia will resign and Hull's Phil Brown will say something fantastically stupid like "losing to Man Utd is the biggest thing I have ever done in my football career."

God, I'm good!

dollydaydream
25th May 2009, 17:33
There is a certain 'Messiah' in Lancashire who has just steered Burnley to a return to the Premiership after 33 years!
Well done you Clarets!:D:D:D

StaceyF
25th May 2009, 17:38
Drogba should be banned for a whole season for "referee abuse".
Appalling scenes at the end......and I couldn't agree with you more.

British mentality to a tee.

I'd wager if the overpaid namby pamby boys that play for the English national side displayed one tenth of the passion and will to win that Drogba exhibited then we might not be the laughing stock of the soccer world.

He was p1$$ed off because he wanted to win; a difficult concept for an English-born footballer to comprehend, granted, but true nonetheless.

And anyway, if leaked pictures of Rooney are anything to go by, Man Utd might need a dose of Drogba's passion on Wednesday:

http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/2058/rooneybigpic.jpg

N707ZS
25th May 2009, 17:53
Says it all.
YouTube - Cheer up Alan Shearer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bHOLvyBVs8)

PaperTiger
25th May 2009, 17:59
Why do so many of the posts on here refer to Soccer? This thread is supposed to be about football...Possibly because that's the game played with the feet ? Feel free to start your own thread about handball though.

:p

Nigd3
26th May 2009, 10:03
Andy S

You were/are correct and Sheff Utd won't be in the premiership, not next season anyway.

One very happy Burnley fan :ok::)

Andy_S
26th May 2009, 11:42
One very happy Sheff Wednesday fan :E :E :ok:

Iain Wilson
26th May 2009, 11:55
Stacey
So that`s your explanation for those disgusting scenes at the end of the match? You might want to bear in mind that this kind of petulant nonsense percolates down through the ranks to football at the most junior i.e. school level, where the example manifests itself amongst youngsters who copy their "heroes". Frankly, I couldn`t care less about his "passion" or "committment to win". Much of so called top- flight soccer is peopled by individuals who are but a ball hair away from the criminal courts and displays of this kind of agression simply confirm my and others belief that it is not only our Parliamentary system that need investigating. The breathtaking salaries and media status with which they are accredited simply coccoon them from the real world where if we behaved in a fasion similiar to that displayed after that match would find ourselves charged under the criminal law.
These people are simply taking the p*ss out of their clubs season ticket holders and others who pay good money to be "entertained"

Jofm5
26th May 2009, 15:03
Iain,

You make reference to the disgusting scenes at the end of the match, there were more disgusting scenes within the match that provoked the situation in the first place. Whilst there is no excusing the antics of the chelsea players - you can at least sympathise with the complete farce of decisions made (or rather not made) by the officials within the game that has lead to the situation.

If you want to diffuse this sort of situation happening again then technology to enforce decisions should be used. You cannot tell a person that has made football their life not to get passionate about the outcome of such a high profile game but they will be alot more accepting on being the losing side if they consider they were beating in a fair manner - which clearly was not the case in this instance.

I see Ballack, Drogba and Chelsea FC are up on charges for bringing the game into disrepute - but the referee should be up on similar charges also for his complete incompetence.

And before you say I am biased - I am a Spurs Season ticket holder and wanted Barca to win anyway.

Sprogget
26th May 2009, 15:10
Resident IT wonk backs technology in football!:hmm:

Why? I haven't noticed anyone saying cricket has become more colourful for it, except maybe the bloody Australians! Far better to have dodgy refs than reliable computers, it adds spice to the game & gives us something to talk about in the pub. Every sport should have it's bogeymen, referees are football's. Leave them be.

Ken Wells
26th May 2009, 18:39
I see Ballack, Drogba and Chelsea FC are up on charges for bringing the game into disrepute - but the referee should be up on similar charges also for his complete incompetence.

What a load of twaddle, never seen a ref fall over a blade of grass, cry whinge. Have tantrums, cheat, spit swear behave like a big wet teenage girls blouse and abuse their privileged over paid over rated status of a Neanderthal tribal twonk with the limited intelligence of John Prescott and the life style of a thieving expensed up MP!!!!!

Fine the buggers a years salary not the club don't penalise the idiot fans.

Hurt these tossers where in hurts not in the empty head but the full pocket!!!!

And stop calling them heros. Heros are the guys and gals that come back from Hellmand and Bagdad not soccer louts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nuff said

Jofm5
26th May 2009, 21:33
I got sprogget being personal and calling me names and Ken thinking if he writes in Big letters it must be true. Such an enlightening debate....

Sprogget:

Putting my IT background behind me - the appalling refereeing decisions have a much wider impact than something to talk about in the pub - e.g. you could say spurs were denied champions league football a few years ago because of the ridiculous decision over disallowing Pedro Mendes's goal as if it had of been given the win against Man UTD would have put Spurs in 4th.

Rather than discounting technology when the whole of the sport is calling for it - it would be more productive to discuss how if it was brought in how it could be implemented and what it would be restricted to - I agree with balance of mistakes can even itself out most of the times but in some instances it is better the referee asks for an informed decision from the 4th official who can see it from various angles in the replay's that are already available to them.

Ken:

You dont watch much football if you have never seen a ref have a tantrum - it happens quite often and it has been known for a ref to send himself off (in lower leagues) for unsportsmanly conduct.

Each club is charged with the responsibility of ensuring that their players play in a sporting fashion - the fact that Drogba came back on to the pitch after having been substitued should have been prevented by the club - hence they have been charged with not fulfilling their duties.

llondel
26th May 2009, 21:37
If Spurs had finished fourth that year, the space-time continuum would have compensated by letting Arsenal win the Champions League and push Spurs out of the qualifying. As a Spurs fan you'd probably find that a worse outcome than finishing fifth.:}

Sprogget
26th May 2009, 21:50
the whole of the sport is calling for it Come off it, you know the whole of the sport?:}

Llonel, it didnt though, did it? As I recall, the last time the Arse got near it, Lehman the unstable was marched off after 17 minutes followed by a good whipping & a trophyless period ever since. Still, in Arsene you trust eh?

Jofm5
26th May 2009, 22:10
Ok sprogget....

The FA want it, Uefa want it, Referees Want it, Teams and Team Managers want it - The majority of fans want it....

Ok so not quite *everyone* but the majority, FIFA dont want/cant agree on it so it has not happened yet - just a matter of time.

Nick Riviera
27th May 2009, 12:24
Sprogget

Take it you are a Spurs fan? Always gets me laughing when you guys taunt Arsenal for a lack of success. No seriously, keep going, it's very funny.

Sprogget
27th May 2009, 14:34
Ok, no problem:

Nick, turn over to BBC1, at 7:30 tonight; Eastenders is on.:rolleyes:

Ken Wells
27th May 2009, 16:43
You dont watch much football if you have never seen a ref have a tantrum - it happens quite often and it has been known for a ref to send himself off (in lower leagues) for unsportsmanly conduct

We are not talking about lower leagues, but professionals at the top of their game.

In this case the intellectually challenged Team Captains should have been in more control; not joining in like common yards dogs.

Clubs will protect their investment. Fine the buggers hard-personaly six month; 12 month wages. Reinvest the fines back into education at Lower leagues and stop pi&&&ing about.

This will never stop untill examples are made of these wasters!!!

Every one says it, take a leaf out of Rugby :ok:RESPECT :ok:for the ref is paramount.

If the argument is incorrect decisions, then radio up the ref, Time out, Sin Bin. TV confrimation from diffent angles! The diving would start to stop and fine all players for bad language by sending the :mad:cretins off!!

For F88cks sake get real, adhere to the rules.:ugh:

Viva Barcelona anyway tonight!!!:ok:

goatface
27th May 2009, 20:51
As a lifelong (English) Barcelona supporter I'd just like to say how nice it was to see Man Utd put in their place by a far better team.

With only the Premiership (of the significant trophies) to their name, it's obviously time for a clear out at Old Trafford, starting with Sir Alex's P.A - her tactical nous has got to be in serious doubt....

In the interim, may I wish all Man Utd supporters delayed flights home and to be seriously overcharged during their time in Rome.:E

Sprogget
27th May 2009, 20:55
Hmmm, world champs (!) charity shield, prem league winners, not a terrible season really. World Champions though Mwa hahaaaaa!

I heard Madame Tussauds are interested in signing Berbatov...:rolleyes:

tony draper
27th May 2009, 21:16
Well they can hardly claim they was robbed, they had rings run round em by a far better side on the night.
:cool:

Seldomfitforpurpose
27th May 2009, 21:55
Ah, the Great British trait of envy, it's our speciality.

INNflight
27th May 2009, 22:05
http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs099.snc1/4744_115725748312_654403312_2576039_1936710_n.jpg

:E

Rule3
27th May 2009, 23:03
INNflight and goatface.
As an Australian who has been fortunate enough to watch some great games during the Champions League, and believe that the better team won on the night , I find your posts offensive. I suggest you both grow up , and or get a life or better still shut up.:ok::ok:

Seldomfitforpurpose
27th May 2009, 23:06
Rule3

The question you need to ask those two losers is which team they actually support and then it will become abundantly clear.............as I said the Great British trait of envy is now being demonstrated on PPrune as we type.......:p

Forkandles
27th May 2009, 23:09
goatface, there are many, many people who would agree with you, but as a red, I happen to think you are a bit of a knob.

An english Barcelona fan? That's worse than being a cockney red, you hoop.

Carry on!

Jofm5
28th May 2009, 01:00
Rule3: I think you need to wake up a bit - the banter between rival fans is part of the sport.

Forkandles: It does happen - my gf's boy is both a barcelona and an arsenal fan - terrible state of affairs - some may say cause henry went to barca - I personally put it down to some traumatic experience in his early years - like being brought up by an arsenal fan.

Scary stuff

Buster Hyman
28th May 2009, 01:32
I'm gutted. I feel awful that we knocked Man U out of the FA Cup now....

:E

Krystal n chips
28th May 2009, 04:40
Look on the bright side here......the normal population of South and West Manchester have been spared the gridlock that the proposed "victory" :yuk: parade would have induced......counselling will, no doubt, be made available for the clinically brain dead ( as shown live on the BBC News last night ) others and for whom the fact that Man Utd played a game of football against Barcelona and lost the match is far too simple a concept to grasp. :E

Arch Stanton
28th May 2009, 08:14
Ken Wells for example.

This will never stop untill examples are made of these wasters!!!
Every one says it, take a leaf out of Rugby RESPECT for the ref is paramount.

Why come onto a football thread and insult football. You obviously still have a very big chip on your shoulder
after being picked last for the playground football team.

Don't try and compare Rugby players behaviour to football,they are totally different games.

One bad refereeing decision in football can lead to a goal, and one goal is enough to win or lose a match.
In Rugby decisions are far simpler and the outcome of that decision is not as critical to the game. How often
do you see television presenters going over a refereeing decision again and again, it just doesn't happen
in Rugby.

A decision made by a football referee is never that simple, was it a foul or just a strong tackle, did
he get the ball first or the man, was it offside or not, the list goes on.

Seldomfitforpurpose
28th May 2009, 10:19
Arch,

Not quite sure what you are trying to say but if you think football has got it right with regards to all matters referee and rugby has got it wrong I think you really need to lie down in a dark place for a while :rolleyes:

As an avid football fan I am sickened week in and week out at the verbal abuse hurled at match officials by players and playing staff. I have the greatest sympathy with ref's and linesmen who have but a split second to make their decision. Each decision will inevitably wind up 11 players, 1 set of playing staff, 1 manager and half the crowd and the poor old official has almost no recourse to technology to help him out.

Contrast that with rugby, the respect shown to match officials and the innovative uses of technology and if you cant see that the two sports are worlds apart then I would suggest your head has gotten wedged somewhere dark and odorous.

Just a thought, at last nights game there was a total alcohol ban in force prior to, during and after the match. If I go to watch my local team, Bath, once inside the ground I can get a beer prior to the match, I can get a beer during the match and I can stand on the terrace alongside the opposition supporters and drink my beer and enjoy good natured banter.

Whilst football is my first love there is no doubt which sport has got it's act together and which one is still living in the dark ages.

MagnusP
28th May 2009, 10:31
Decent match last night, & the best (and my preferred) team won. Semi-finals gave me grief, though, as I'm a fan of both Barca and Arsenal.

A usenet "me too" to seldomfitforpurpose. Arch Stanton must be watching the wrong game if he thinks refs' decisions in rugby can't have an immediate and direct impact on the result. Let's see, Ireland 14, England 13, and a penalty decision couldn't have affected the outcome? :ugh:

Arch Stanton
28th May 2009, 10:38
Hi Seldom

just thoroughly sick of people criticising football by trying to make the same old irrelevant comparisons with rugby. Why not criticise rugby players for not having the same attitude as golfers, or ice hockey players for not showing the same respect as polo players.

Rugby players are no different to footballers, they are desperate to win, and if the referees decision in rugby was as arbitary and crucial to the outcome as in football they would behave the same way.

Of the top flight rugby players I have met, none were interested in criticising football, it was irrelevant to them. The same can't be said of local club players whose only sporting ability seems to be carrying a large beer gut at speed.

Arch Stanton
28th May 2009, 10:46
Let's see, Ireland 14, England 13, and a penalty decision couldn't have affected the outcome?

Ah, the usual old 14, 13 score eh? . I forgot rugby matches are usually settled by one point.

And why is it half the rugby fans think their home team is England playing at Twickenham? If the game is so much better to watch than football why don't they support a club team like I do.

Storminnorm
28th May 2009, 10:46
Well done Barca!! Good game, Good result.
Hard luck Man Utd. Should've tried harder.

Think the Manager is past it now.

MagnusP
28th May 2009, 11:44
Arch: 14-13 was an example of where a single decision could have an impact on the result of a major game. Sure, there are 43-6 results in rugby, but there a 4-1 results in soccer.

Sniping at the beer bellies of club rugby fans is pointless. Did you actually see some of the overweight fans in Rome last night?

As for the relevancy or otherwise of one sport to the other sport's players or fans, are you seriously claiming that you can only follow one sport? I support both soccer (Hearts) and Rugby Union - I was a club member, but it folded and I now follow Edinburgh rugby.

No-one here except you seems to be making comparisons between soccer and rugby; the comparisons are between the behaviour of some of their players.

Iain Wilson
28th May 2009, 11:54
Seldomfit
Well said indeed . You saved me the trouble of replying to Arch Stanton. As a life long rugby supporter and one time (mediocre ) player, abuse of match officials simply didn`t enter the equation. Ten yards back for every remark soon gives the opposition an unassailable advantage. And please, spare me the old chestnut about passion. Your own country played their guts out in 2 Rugby World Cup finals winning one and losing the other. At no stage did I recall open abuse of the officials. Cracking games both. The England team were a credit to their country, supporters and the game in general, even in the face of a correctly disputed try. So it can be done.
Maybe its a cultural thing......

Ken Wells
28th May 2009, 17:27
One bad refereeing decision in football can lead to a goal, and one goal is enough to win or lose a match.
In Rugby decisions are far simpler and the outcome of that decision is not as critical to the game. How often
do you see television presenters going over a refereeing decision again and again, it just doesn't happen
in Rugby.

A decision made by a football referee is never that simple, was it a foul or just a strong tackle, did
he get the ball first or the man, was it offside or not, the list goes on.

Simple as your posting!!! What a load of tosh!

StaceyF
28th May 2009, 17:38
You dont watch much football if you have never seen a ref have a tantrum - it happens quite often and it has been known for a ref to send himself off (in lower leagues) for unsportsmanly conduct.

Not a tantrum by any means but does anyone remember the referee a few years ago who was caught on camera jumping in celebration with his arms in the air when Liverpool scored in a match he was the supposedly impartial adjudicator?

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

StaceyF
28th May 2009, 17:43
As a mere female who watched it, and with no axe to grind either way because I think all such footballers are overpaid monkeys, Man Utd didn't turn up.

They were outplayed, end of.

As for Scholes, that shocker of a challenge that got him yellow carded was always a straight red.......but by then I guess the referee was feeling sorry for them.

Any side that can afford to substitute Henry knows they're cruising. :hmm:

Capt.KAOS
28th May 2009, 19:57
Finally proof that Messi is a much better player than this irritating d!ckhead Ronaldo...

Ken Wells
28th May 2009, 20:15
As a mere female who watched it, and with no axe to grind either way because I think all such footballers are overpaid monkeys, Man Utd didn't turn up.

Regardles of gender, I cannot disagree with a word you say!!

Bang on.

Sprogget
28th May 2009, 20:21
As for Scholes, that shocker of a challenge that got him yellow carded was always a straight red.......but by then I guess the referee was feeling sorry for them.

Legend that he is, Scholes could only ever tackle like a hummer with four flat tyres.

I see open top bus tours of Manchester are half price this weekend.:}

Ancient Observer
29th May 2009, 10:11
"61, never again"

anyone recognise that, eh??

Buster Hyman
29th May 2009, 12:35
Did they play the kids again? :p

Anyway, never mind that Euro trash...FA Cup weekend!!!!:ok::ok::ok::ok:

barry lloyd
29th May 2009, 13:50
Buster:

Anyway, never mind that Euro trash

Toffees not playing in Europe next year then?

Despite being a red, I'll be cheering for them tomorrow, and I know many others will be too - good luck! :ok:

rvv500
29th May 2009, 16:48
Very much past it. With just a PL [ 3 in a row ], Carling Cup, World Club Championship and Community Shield Win plus final of CL and Semi Final of FA Cup, not to mention 11 PL's in 17 years, with two times 3 in a row, the Manager's really past it. Under the same definition, I guess the other teams in UK should all be well past it.

Sprogget
29th May 2009, 18:42
A selection of comments from a road haulage board one frequents, for your delectation:

We need a price for 2000 'Champions' banners from Old Trafford to Burnley landfill site. Please call traffic & ask for Wayne or Rio.

I have a full load of tissues avaliable for any Man United fans that may be in need after last night. Better luck next year!!!!!

I have a small load about the size of a large silver cup to go from Manchester to Barcelona one way trip only no return load. customer has warned the collection point is a bit messi. speak to a guy call henry before you arrive

We have an open top bus unexpectedly available in Manchester today if anyone can give us something local. Carries straps, blocks, bunting & scarves.

Backload required must collect from Rome, must be able to carry 40,000 persons and lots of flags, destination London (as that`s where they all come from) !!!!!!

Buster Hyman
30th May 2009, 09:48
Oh yes, we're there...possibly just making up the numbers until the business end of the Premier League gets going! :E

Effluent Man
30th May 2009, 12:51
As a disinterested (not uninterested) neutral it was clear to me that United had one bad game.I think on three out of four occasions they would have won against Barca.Those who knock them fail to remember them burying highly rated Roma 7-1. On that night everything went right for them,it happens,As regards supporting foreign teams I have always supported Ajax simply because in my youth they had a magical player by the name of Cruyff.

Storminnorm
30th May 2009, 13:31
Rvv500,HaHa HAAAA !!!!
Still reckon Fergies PAST it now.
The reds were totally out played.
Didn't know what to do next.
Most expensive load of cr*p ever took to the field.

Good game to watch though. HeeHeeHee.

rvv500
30th May 2009, 13:55
Lots of bitterness and no common sense or knowledge of game, I see.

Storminnorm
30th May 2009, 14:01
Right on both counts rvv.
Still,enough sense NOT to be a Manure Utd supporter though.

rvv500
30th May 2009, 14:03
Poor sap, stew in your bitterness.

Storminnorm
30th May 2009, 14:07
Support Stalybridge Celtic mate.
Then you really know how to suffer.( Although they did finish
6th in the Blue Square North league last season.)

Buster Hyman
30th May 2009, 16:11
:mad:Bastar*:mad:mongrels:mad:WEBB:mad:Russians :mad:

IB4138
30th May 2009, 16:43
Support Stalybridge Celtic mate.

Support them!

It's worse than that norm. :eek:

My mother's uncle made me a life member 55 years ago. :ooh:

StaceyF
30th May 2009, 16:49
Support them!

It's worse than that norm. :eek:

My mother's uncle made me a life member 55 years ago. :ooh:

Ha! It could be even worse, you could live here and have to live with the local rag's incessant chest-puffing, flag-waving crap every year about how both the local sides are nailed-on certainties for promotion.

The rag has two reporters, one for each team, and the day before either side plays they give their "expert" prediction on the outcome.

In the seven years I've been reading it, neither has ever once predicted a defeat.

:ugh::ugh::ugh:

Lon More
30th May 2009, 16:56
Couldn't be othered this afternoon. Switched on ITV two hours after the programme began expecting to watch the final few minutes and the bloody thing still hadn't begun!!!!!

If i wanted to watch a load of musical bollix I could have switched to the Arts Channel. Made BBC1's F1 coverage look inspired

ORAC
30th May 2009, 21:37
DEJECTED MAN UTD FANS MAKE LONG JOURNEY BACK TO SURREY (http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/sport/sport-headlines/dejected-man-utd-fans-make-long-journey-back-to-surrey-200905291791/)

THOUSANDS of despondent Manchester United supporters returned to the Home Counties last night after the club's Champions League final defeat in Rome.

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/images/stories/romhol2.jpg
It was a very special trip for United's army of Audrey Hepburn fans

Carrying nothing more than some truffle oil, a tin of Calabrian tuna and a bottle of really lovely Tuscan red, the United fans said if it wasn't for the glorious detail in the Trevi Fountain the whole trip would have been a total disaster.

Godalming based-supporter Julian Cook said: "I've been a die-hard fan since they started winning things, so I was terribly miffed at the end.

"But then we came across this gorgeous little trattoria just off the Via Della Vicenza that did the most exquisite Asparago di Veneto. I felt like Audrey Hepburn in Roman Holiday."

But Martin Bishop, from Dorking, accused champions Barcelona of cheating. "They kept hanging on to the ball and wouldn't give it back. It was just so blatant."

He added: "I was really very angry at the time, but then I thought of all that wonderful Catalan architecture and found it within myself to forgive them."

Uefa president Michel Platini hailed the game as, 'a triumph for the sponsors, hospitality suites, television residual broadcast revenue and, to some extent, Barcelona'.

Meanwhile the Catalan club made history by fielding the first Champion's League winner grown from a petri dish.

Barca coach Ian Guardiola, said: "When he came to us as a boy, Messi was no bigger than my thumb. But bathing him daily in monkey-brain growth serum grew him into the unstoppable dwarf he is today."

Krystal n chips
31st May 2009, 04:34
This is confusing me ( not difficult I know ).....as one always thought a loan had to be repaid......and if this little loophole exists, why can't the rest of us mere mortals / mugs who pay tax benefit from it?

Football stars plan to dodge 50p tax rate - Times Online (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/article6395778.ece)

If, however, the above does actually come to pass, then I assume all those dedicated fans will have no objection to paying out to support "the team"...and be happy with the fact said team members are doing a credible "snouts in trough" impression at their expense.....sadly, the answer is probably yes I suspect.

There is one nice little oxymoron in the above though....the bit about "excercising players minds".....possible, but an unlikely precedent one feels..:E

ORAC
31st May 2009, 06:57
There are always ways around taxes. Sportspersons & Entertainers.
(http://www.vistra.com/userfiles/files/Sheets/Sports_Persons_and_Entertainers.pdf)

Taxman Goes After Image Rights (http://www.footballeconomy.com/archive/archive_2009_apr_03.htm)

Akrapovic
31st May 2009, 15:59
Rugby is a thugs' game played by gentlemen
Football is a gentelmen's game played by thugs
Ra-ra-ra - I wear massive scarfs, mustard coloured trousers and can't get excited about anything, Oh, and I call rugby 'rugger'

Sorry, I'm none of the above, but no football thread on pprune would be complete if there wasn't some nobend harping on about rugby . . .

Just doing my bit !

Rugby fans have missed out after the footy season we've just had - magic!

Storminnorm
31st May 2009, 16:07
I REALLY enjoyed the Cup Final.
Why can't some of the tossers play like they did yesterday
when they play for England though?
(Well, the few English that were playing.)

(Good game rugger,wot!)

hellsbrink
31st May 2009, 19:13
Sorry, I'm none of the above, but no football thread on PPRuNe would be complete if there wasn't some nobend harping on about rugby . . .

"Rugby FOOTBALL" perchance?

A proper sport, not like watching 22 grown men running around in their underwear whilst kicking a pig's bladder...........

llondel
31st May 2009, 19:36
Rugby football, a game played by men with odd-shaped balls.

Give blood, play rugby.

It's not the winning that counts, it's the taking apart.

Akrapovic
1st Jun 2009, 09:34
Here they come . . . .

Ahhh the irony ! :rolleyes:

llondel
1st Jun 2009, 12:15
I used to hate rugby at school, then I got put in the bottom group in the third year. All of a sudden it was fun, because I was one of the biggest and fastest in the group and could flatten people on my way to the try line. That year we also managed to flatten the teacher in the muddiest part of the field once, perfectly legally and in accordance with the rules. He would occasionally grab the ball and call on one team to bind on, trying to teach some proper rugby tactics. Then he'd stop the game and berate them for not doing it fast enough, pointing out that if they're too slow, the opposition would pile in and tackle. So a group of us arranged a practical demonstration for the next time he did it :}

Arch Stanton
1st Jun 2009, 17:20
There, you didn't have to wait long!

Krystal n chips
11th Jun 2009, 17:02
OK. I admit I detest the "beautiful game"....and for many reasons. However, this, as the title says, is a prime reason why.

BBC SPORT | Football | My Club | M | Man Utd | Man Utd accept £80m Ronaldo bid (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/man_utd/8094720.stm)

So a football player is now valued...to use the accounting term...at £80m.:ugh:

Er, NO......NO apologies for saying so but as I say, I find the valuation obscene.....NO human being can be valued in such a manner and even more so one whose sole attribute is to kick a football around for a living...and that's it.

Reality....remind me again of the meaning of ther term "credit crunch" and the word recession ......

tony draper
11th Jun 2009, 17:11
We are already seeing signs of corruption in Footy,bribery throwing games ect,won't be long before the Football like Boxing belongs to the Mafia if it doesn't already,when there is the amount of money floating around the sharks appear.
:uhoh:

G-CPTN
11th Jun 2009, 17:23
Of that £80 million - who gets what?

Years ago (and I mean several decades), I believe that the footballer received (about) 10% of the price paid as a 'bonus' (I doubt whether this still applies today). Then there was the agent (or at least, then there possibly wasn't an agent, though of course, there are such vultures today).
Tales of 'payments' to the individuals (managers) involved have been rife in recent years - I'm not suggesting that Sir Alex is involved in such affairs.

So how much has Ronaldo cost Real Madrid - and how much will ManU receive?

BombayDuck
11th Jun 2009, 19:50
On the footballing side, a friend sends me an email:

Goodbye Ronaldo. May you be as successful as your predecessor was after he shifted to Real and may you win twice as many trophies as he.

Sprogget
11th Jun 2009, 20:07
Witnesses at the scene of the Ronaldo crash say he was only lightly tapped by a car from behind, when all of the sudden the car flipped over and rolled ten times. It then span around on the spot for two minutes, then all the wheels fell off and it caught fire.

With Ronaldo on his way to Madrid, Sir Alex Ferguson has announced that he's looking for somebody to replace him. At a press conference he said, "I'm looking for an experienced attacker, someone who doesn't let stubborn defences stop him getting into the box".

Top of his list at the moment is John Leslie.

Cptn, under FA rules the player receives 10% of the transfer fee, within uk to uk transfers. Internationally, I have no idea.

As a lifelong football fan, I would echo Krystal's view that in an economic boom, never mind a global recession, this transfer fee is obscene. Absolutely disgusting.

traveler
11th Jun 2009, 21:53
Income was posted ... 9 million per year ... for 5 years. .. (45 mil is a 'nice contract')

Now, I'm not sure about Real Madrid's books but .. it's been posted to be in debt.
I have no problem with large rewards (unless it's tax-money) for top entertainers, as long as the company can afford it.
Ticket sales, merchandising, TV rights, the Doll, FIFA money .. whatever, If the market system works .. go for it.
(I just really hope they're enjoying the hell out of it .. coz they should !)

racedo
11th Jun 2009, 21:57
Rules on transfer depend on whether the club sell him or the player requests a transfer.

A club selling him on then player normally gets 10% however when player request one he generally get nothing. In this case player requested right to speak with Real Madrid hence he requesting it so believe he will get nothing of the fee from Man Utd.

IainB
12th Jun 2009, 10:43
Rumoured to be young Tom Daley from Plymouth.

Already suitably experienced at international level.

rhythm method
12th Jun 2009, 10:52
Ah... but can he wink as well? :}

Sprogget
17th Jun 2009, 11:30
http://i43.tinypic.com/bxtva.jpg

Buster Hyman
17th Jun 2009, 12:45
It's VJ day again down here!
(Victory over Japan!) (http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2009/06/17/1244918083501.html)

sitigeltfel
17th Jun 2009, 13:07
A variation on a well used theme but...... :D

YouTube - Newcastle United Relegation Downfall Parody (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYrLSMQy35E)

Jofm5
19th Jun 2009, 23:49
So Setanta has lost its rights to next years Premier league coverage - the writing must be on the wall for them now.

I dont like to see any company go under but there coverage was way over priced and below par.

Jofm5
24th Jun 2009, 00:45
As I suspected it did not take long, Setanta ceased transmissions in the UK at 6pm Tuesday and went into administration.

Well ESPN won the tender for their premier league slots, it will be interesting to see how that pans out - Not sure will happen with the England Away fixtures - the FA is looking for someone to step in to take over the £100m contract. Hopefully we can get those back on a channel that is free to all as it should be.