PDA

View Full Version : Danny! Where's my second window gone?

twistedenginestarter
25th Sep 2000, 21:44
PPruNe used to be - and I emphasize 'used to be' - your top dog web site in the World.

Numero Uno. Sine qua non.

Why? Because once you'd clicked "Forums" it spawned a second window so you could use the first one for browsing sensible things. In fact you could use the second one for other sensible things.

As of yesterday this seems to have stopped.

I shan't mention this again, Danny, but make sure it's fixed.

OK Nuff said?

cleared2land 27left
25th Sep 2000, 22:20
I noticed that too but also the left hand side of the window with all the links on it has not worked for a few weeks.

Bollocks!
25th Sep 2000, 23:04
Have you tried searching on an individuals posts recently? Crap! It cycles through each forum, displaying an advert per forum, even searching ALL the private forums though not listing postings within them. Takes forever, never used to be like that. Is Danny earning lots from all the extra adverts while you wait. Please fix it Danny!

------------------
...thats another fine mess you've got me into ...

Floppy Link
25th Sep 2000, 23:20
twisted

apologies if this message reads like a 'Hi granny, see this egg? Now get your straw....etc'

go to any of the links on the page, right click with the moose and click on 'open in new window'

once it's open you can use it for whatever you want.

I've got 5 on the go at the mo, very confusing at times but saves waiting for pages to load up

FL

VelvetStrokes
25th Sep 2000, 23:23
Just a thought, but have you tried clicking 'File' 'New' 'Window'. This opens another window which can be used for other things.

TANSTAAFL
26th Sep 2000, 09:59
Gee, if I was Danny I wouldn't be extremely happy at the beginnings of this thread. In fact, I'd prolly want to give you a refund... Oh... You didn't pay anything http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif

Oh, CTRL-N spawns a new window if you're using MicroSoft Explorer. Use it all the time :)

Pom Pax
26th Sep 2000, 14:19
CRTL-N also works with Netscape.

Also if you click forums in the main blurb you get your second page as before, the restriction to same page is only with the side bar

Pom Pax
26th Sep 2000, 14:41
CRTL-N also works with Netscape.

Also if you click forums in the main blurb you get your second page as before, the restriction to same page is only with the side bar

Doors to Automatic
26th Sep 2000, 14:55
Just remember (particularly the originator of this thread) that this is a free service and you have absolutely no right to demand anything. I am sure a polite request or two will have the required results a lot quicker.

Capt PPRuNe
26th Sep 2000, 14:55
The comment about the search cycling through all the forums is bafling. You shouldn't be able to search all the forums at once as the indexes are kept seperately and there should be no menu option to search all forums just each individual forum seperately. I'd like to know more about that.

As for the seperate window idea, as mentioned control-n works in most browsers or right click and open page in new window works fine for 99.9% of browsers.

------------------
Capt PPRuNe
aka Danny Fyne
The Professional Pilots RUmour NEtwork

Bollocks!
26th Sep 2000, 22:53
Danny - you may have mis-understood my earlier posting re cycling through all the forums. It happens when you look at a posting, click on "Who?" to see that individuals details, then click on "Search: All posts by this registered user"

As I said earlier, it is now a very disjointed affair, spending a few seconds looking at each forum (& a different header advert for each one). Clicking on "click here if you do not want to wait any longer (or if your browser does not automatically forward you) only takes you onto the next forum to search, does not stop the process which seemingly has to continue to the bitter end!

------------------
...thats another fine mess you've got me into ...

twistedenginestarter
26th Sep 2000, 22:54
Thanks everyone. PPrune is back to being the Dog's Bollocks Site of The Millennium. I'd like to say more but I'm off to the other window...

Capt PPRuNe
27th Sep 2000, 01:28
Only solution to your problem Mr testicles is not to click on the 'search all posts by this user'. I would recommend that you copy the authors Username and then click on the 'Search' function and enter their details in the appropriate box there and just search the relevant forums... much quicker. That part of the software has always been like that but you are the first person to ever admitting to using that function.

------------------
Capt PPRuNe
aka Danny Fyne

driftdown
27th Sep 2000, 02:57
Like Cleared to Land the nav bar on the left side of my screen has not worked for a while now. Click "on the sentence" at the bottom of the screen and it appears.

Capt PPRuNe
27th Sep 2000, 05:45
If navbar not working then it is probablybecause you have the wrong URL when you try to enter PPRuNe.

Check the URL in your bookmarks/favourites. If it isn't: http://www.pprune.org/ (http://www.pprune.org/) then it may not work properly.

Try clicking on the URL above and it will open the PPRune home page in a new window and then select the 'add to favourites' or 'bookmark this page' or whatever your browser says and you will have the correct URL for entering PPRuNe with the up to dat nav bar.

------------------
Capt PPRuNe
aka Danny Fyne

Lurk R
27th Sep 2000, 08:58
One thing I have noticed in the new format is that the address bar at top of page always shows www.pprune.org (http://www.pprune.org) whereas it used to show the actual page address. In the past I hit the refresh button to see a new post on the same thread; now if I hit refresh, it goes right back to the main screen and I have to select the forum, then thread. Anyone else noticed that?

FE Hoppy
27th Sep 2000, 19:53
danny whynot just re direct the .com address to the .org server then no one will have to change their favorites and all the webmasters with links to pprune wont have to dig into the html?

www.flightcrewinfo.com (http://www.flightcrewinfo.com)
sorry about the plug............