View Full Version : Bahrain plane spotter imprisoned

Radar Contact
3rd May 2009, 15:04
Latest move from the sand pit - An Indian amateur sandpit spotter who works for BAS was arrested and imprisoned for 10 days just because he took pictures of the ATC Tower and aircraft landing/taking off. I guess Bahrain CAA does not know there is something called Google Earth of which you can see everything ... btw, new signs put up which has no photography all over them .:ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh: Till when are we going to keep going backwards?

Che Guevara
3rd May 2009, 18:07
Ridiculous and sad.
Interesting to see what happens at their proposed Airshow...:rolleyes:

Mike.Park
3rd May 2009, 18:20
His crime? A passion for photography & aeroplanes.

This from a country that wants to host an airshow next year. An airshow where photography is banned perhaps?

Very sad indeed.

Mephistopheles
3rd May 2009, 18:26
Unfortunately this may have been something to do with the Yanks complaining to the Bahrain airport police, cuz I remember some years ago one of our F/Os got into some hot water photographing one of our A/C landing & was questionned by the Yanks & finally had to delete the photos. At the time the Bahrain airpory police were very apologetic but said that they had to keep the Yanks happy!!!

Togalk
3rd May 2009, 18:56
When I worked in Bahrain in 1999 one of my colleagues had a friend visiting from the US. The friend had spent the day out sightseeing and taking pictures of all the "lovely" Bahrain landmarks, when he was picked up by a couple of Navy boys and was told they needed all his film to make sure he hadn't taken pictures of anything sensitive. They promised he would get his film back, he never did. Nothing has changed. Actually Bahrain seems to be regressing.