PDA

View Full Version : Piper PA32 wiring diagram

winglit
3rd May 2009, 14:42
Hi folks,

Is there anyone that can help me with this 1973 Cherokee Six? It has landed at my local airport with an electrical fire and I have been asked to lend a hand in fixing it.

I'm an overseas station engineer, B1 & B2, working on big jets. I have very little GA experience, but this Piper is N reg and I also have an A&P.

The owner has a maintenance CD, but it doesn't have any wiring diagrams on it. I need to find out why the 60A alternator CB keeps tripping. With the battery master switch to off, there is a dead short from the CB to earth, but with it switched on it has 12V!

That has really confused me and without a wiring diagram I'm just stabbing in the dark. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

NutLoose
3rd May 2009, 15:17
What model number and serial and I will see what I can do.

Section X in the maint cd should have them at start

Akitomo
3rd May 2009, 15:52
Hi winglit.

You may be able to get the one at

Bomar Flying Service: Downloads / Piper SE Service / Maintenance Manuals (http://www.bomar.biz/download.php?list.65)

Hope it would work! :)

FYI: It's free!!

stevef
3rd May 2009, 16:33
Those split Bat/Alt switches aren't very reliable; I'd look at that to start off with. I've stripped u/s ones down and the amount of contact arcing is an eye-opener. Much the same as an in-flight fire, I guess. :eek:
I'd look at the ammeter connections as well in case something's touching them.
Like you say, a circuit diagram would help; I can't remember the Cherokee 6 electrical system but it's probably not much different from most light aircraft layouts.

aquamon
8th May 2009, 15:50
I agree, check ammeter. But then, Cherokees are known alternator eaters. The only time I have had to fix fire (smoke) in a piper was a pressurized PA31 and that was because some goon placed the alt. output wire on the turbocharged exhaust!

winglit
9th May 2009, 13:08
Thanks for the help guys. That Bomar flying service link was a godsend.

The dead short to earth was a red herring brought on by my crap multimeter. These new digital ones really do give false readings as they have hardly no internal resistance. I wish I could have an old AVO like we used to use in the airforce!

After replacing the the CB, alternator and fixing some bad wiring he was good to go.

Cheers

kevkevkel
31st Jan 2014, 10:16
Hi Akitmo,

back a few years ago you put up the following linkin response to anwiring problem: http://www.bomar.biz/download.php?list.65

I have been trying n successfully to download it. Can you assist please.

In a nutshell I am building a Long Ez and have got a Rochester instrument cluster comprising fuel pressures, oil pressure & temperature and ammeter.

My question is how to wire in the ammeter and whether it needs to have a shunt included in the circuit. If so, will a generic shunt from Aircraft Spruce fit the bill?

Thanks in anticipation

Kevin Kelly
Kevkevkel (at) yahoo (dot) com

NutLoose
1st Feb 2014, 13:53
Do you know what the cluster is out of?

Might help

http://download.mdhelicopters.com/ETM/pdf/500storage/service_bulletins/hn177.pdf

kevkevkel
8th Feb 2014, 09:57
Thanks. Problem solved. No shunt required.

Best wishes

KK