PDA

View Full Version : Virtual love

maximus610
3rd May 2009, 10:27
Have an weird experience.Had added to my facebook's friend list a girl I had never known before.Had spoken for 6 months but quite shallow.For the last 4 weeks we've spoken everyday, even talked via Skype.Now I'm going to meet her in 2 weeks.(we live in different countries).
What can I say?Just fell in love like a boy.Don't know what to expect.It's just because I've never seen her before and have fallen in love already.
Did anyone have the same experience?
Will appreciate some advice regarding disappointing moments if any will appear.

Thnks

Mxms

Lon More
3rd May 2009, 10:32
Might in realitybe a 55 year old, hairy arsed, Polish coal miner.

Take a large pot of Vaseline, you might need it if you can't run fast enough

hellsbrink
3rd May 2009, 10:36
Been there, done that.

Don't go to visit with any expectations apart from being friends, that way you won't be let down if things aren't all hot and sweaty sex sessions. You don't know what she REALLY expects and you might be wanting too much so just play things easy, you'll find out within an hour or so what the "deal" is.

But it can work, why do you think I ended up in Belgium.

Avtrician
3rd May 2009, 10:37
Be very very careful, you could be on the receiving end of a scam. You wouldnt be the first to get caught, and certainly wont be the last..

Moira
3rd May 2009, 10:37
why do you think I ended up in Belgium
Lovely country, nice beer collection, wonderful people, ... ? :E

Storminnorm
3rd May 2009, 10:39
Send her a photo of yourself in your "Birthday suit."
Request same from her. Study photo very carefully.
(That's if you get a return one.) Digitally "Enhanced?"

srobarts
3rd May 2009, 10:43
I met my now wife in an AOL chatroom some 14yrs ago. Chats were a real meeting of minds, so we progressed to phone calls and agreed to meet. I suggested that she was chaperoned so her friend could verify I was not a weirdo. Do as much research as possible to verify identity and meet in public place at first. Our first meeting was as though we had known each other for years.

From my experience the strength of our marriage is we became friends first and then the physical side was allowed to develop. I am extremely lucky.

Good luck.

OFSO
3rd May 2009, 10:52
Similar thing, SRobarts. I "met" my wife like that, talked on the phone for some weeks, became friends, then went to visit her in person. Clicked first time.

Been together for fifteen years now, and very contented.

Progress slowly, keep "cut-outs" and "fall-backs" in place, don't agree to meet anyone in a dark alleyway, and you'll be fine.

P.S. Advice from a friend regarding Internet Brides: don't go for a far-eastern girl, pick a Russian.

Reasons:

- They can do the housekeeping on 50 pounds a month
- They come with a full set of winter clothing
- They never want to return home so you don't get stuck with expensive air fares

hellsbrink
3rd May 2009, 10:53
Lovely country, nice beer collection, wonderful people, ... ? http://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/evil.gif

Certainly one wonderful person

Storminnorm
3rd May 2009, 10:55
And they can wrestle bears? OFSO.

OFSO
3rd May 2009, 13:47
And they can wrestle bears? OFSO.

My second wife could - 'n did - wrestle moose, esp. after a couple of Molsons or a bottle of rum. Gone back to BC long long ago.

lomapaseo
3rd May 2009, 13:55
Meetings by wire are often surprising in person. Be prepared.

I also think I'm in love with Raiboe but I'm afraid to meet him in person lest I be disapponted :hmm:

Storminnorm
3rd May 2009, 16:14
lomapaseo, don't meet him, meet me instead, then you're
SURE to be disappointed!!! Cuts out the middleman.

Radar66
3rd May 2009, 17:09
Met him through this site! :ok:

I believe that I'm right in saying that there are also a number of other 'PPRuNe couples'. But have also made lots of friends through online dating sites - we'd already verified that we had lots in common, humour included. One of them is also a ppruner and I'm now lucky enough to count him amongst my closest pals. ;)

Just be wise and street savvy and try not to go in with too much of high expectations. Oft 'online chemistry' doesn't translate through to real life chemistry. Go with the mindset of if nothing else, at least you've made a good close friend, and anything on top of that will be a bonus. Good luck! :)

Noah Zark.
3rd May 2009, 17:35
They never want to return home

Could be a drawback! ;)

V2-OMG!
3rd May 2009, 21:06
Hmmmmmmm......almost did meet someone once - until he started talking about a great investment opportunity and said I could be "in" for 50 grand or so.

I thought he was interested in my mind (and errrrrr.....maybe body).

My self-esteem is now bankrupt. :{

Mostly Harmless
4th May 2009, 00:10
Be sure to use a firewall. You don't want to catch a computer virus.

SoundBarrier
4th May 2009, 03:09
Go on max, tell us how it went!! Go on! :)

dany4kin
4th May 2009, 03:16
I had a similar thing once, girl sounded just WONDERFUL on the phone. Agreed to meet for bit of light hearted shopping with her sister.

My first words on meeting her were,

'It's not you is it?'

True story...

Make sure you don't wake up in a bath of ice with a kidney missing....

Fox Mulder
We all want to accept the story about the guy who woke up in a bath full of ice with his kidney stolen as an urban legend and sure there is no official evidence of such a crime in the USA. However, the theory about urban legends states that there is always some sort of truth behind such stories. It is either the truth that there "are" organ thefts in real world or the truth that strangers must be approached with caution.

Not really....
</SPAN>

RJM
4th May 2009, 06:29
I'm surprised. I met a very nice lady via "pine" - a primitive text thing on university internets in 1990. We've met often, and are very good friends. I thought that was rare, but not so, I'm pleased to hear.

SoundBarrier
5th May 2009, 00:46
One wonders if maximus610 is lying in a bath - missing a kidney :sad:

Howard Hughes
5th May 2009, 02:13
Met Mrs Hughes online, a great way to meet people!:ok:

Reaches around to check kidneys...:ooh:

kiwi chick
5th May 2009, 06:39
Oft 'online chemistry' doesn't translate through to real life

Let's not all panic yet... he said he's meeting her in two weeks so we still have a couple of days up our sleeve.... :hmm:

Max, I say just go into it not expecting anything, make clear your intentions from the start, and if there's fireworks then YAYE!!

If not, take it for what it was and know that at least you tried - and will not be wondering "what if?" for years to come.

Good luck :ok:

olliew
5th May 2009, 14:37
It worked for me. As Srobarts said; "Chats were a real meeting of minds", Then we met and now we're getting married. Perhaps I just got very lucky but at least it proves it can happen. I was never short of female frinds but it took t'internet to stumble across the person that I never thought I would be so fortunate to meet.

cockney steve
5th May 2009, 17:11
Meh, maybe I'm too old-fashioned / cautious / shy / reserved......but I'd be embarrassed to do this "internet dating" thing :uhoh:

I know my kids do and in fact the daughter's current partner was met through instant chat and he was one of her brother's contacts :confused:

Ah, well suppose that's why i'm on my tod.....practicing hermit /recluse.

srobarts
5th May 2009, 19:18
cockney steve, don't regard it as internet dating, think if it as a way of meeting people. My wife and I entered the chat room we met in simply to chat with others, neither of us were trying to find someone. If you go with the express intent of finding someone you may well be disappointed. If you go to meet people, then who knows you may well find people you can be friends with and perhaps, just perhaps someone you meet may just be the someone special. Don't go looking it will find you if it is right.

One very good friend of mine met his wife on a flight from Italy to SA.

In our insular society we are not exposed enough to meeting opportunities to find that someone special. Internet is just another way of meeting more people.

Be brave go and meet some people....

vonbag
5th May 2009, 19:27
OK, sorry if this is against the majority stream:
Got this contact about 6 years ago. A Lady from Italy; we shared the same interest (the one of hers, one of the tens of mine). We finally fixed this appointment in Verona. There I found out she was almost larger than I was tall.

Such is life: various.

blackace
5th May 2009, 23:28
I was sent a link to a download called utherverse, its like an adults only second life, its 3D hedonism online. All the chicks look good, but then so do all the men. I wandered around for a while but thought it real sad that life has come to this, plus my fingers hurt because the ATL+F key got hit far too many times.

Beats anything on the WII though :)

Plus, I got some names and numbers.

blackace
5th May 2009, 23:31
Met Mrs Hughes online, a great way to meet people!

Sorry Howard, could not resist.

kiwi chick
6th May 2009, 10:59
But where did you meet Howard? :\

dany4kin
6th May 2009, 11:24
plus my fingers hurt because the ATL+F key got hit far too many times

That was absolutely hilarious, still chuckling now... :)

Binoculars
6th May 2009, 13:47
I've been lucky, or perhaps thorough enough, to have formed two liaisons online, both starting off with innocent and curious chat, progressing through a meeting of minds, then feeling safe with flirting and finally a decision that we knew each other well enough to meet and take the rest from there.

Both were fabulous experiences, and all I can put it down to is to maintain one rule above all; ALWAYS be truthful in what you are saying to somebody online. What, after all, is the point of lying? Oh what a tangled web we weave etc; you will be caught out eventually. If you paint yourself as something less than you really are you are reducing the chances of disappointment.

I have met a couple of bitches on my time on the net too; it's not foolproof. But if you have developed enough life skills to be able to see through shallowness and embrace honesty there are some wonderful people out there, and the internet is a perfect place to meet them and develop a long term friendship. Or even more.

vonbag
6th May 2009, 14:22
Binoculars,
Good pieces of advice! I like like your optimism, too. :D

kiwi chick
7th May 2009, 06:59
Yeah, Binos, that was pretty succinct and accurate.

I still think that no matter how well you seem to get on with someone online, you NEED to meet them in person as soon as you can - because like it or not, physical attraction speaks volumes.

I firmly believe if there is none - you're doomed. :rolleyes:

Binoculars
7th May 2009, 08:43
That's what webcams are for, Chicky! :)

goudie
7th May 2009, 10:05
I have a friend, long divorced, who went on the net hoping to meet a future partner. After some trial and error, and surprises, (he was amazed at how quickly most women were willing to jump into bed) He met the perfect partner. I know it's a cliche but they really were made for each other. He's 72, she's 10 years younger and they do make a lovely couple.

Evanelpus
7th May 2009, 10:38
Ah, well suppose that's why i'm on my tod.....practicing hermit /recluse

Is this cockney rhyming slang for some deviant act I've not heard of?

OFSO
7th May 2009, 11:38
Car-prang secretary bites off boss's todger

A Sin Chew Daily eyewatering report
By Lester Haines (http://forms.theregister.co.uk/mail_author/?story_url=/2009/05/06/car_prang_secretary/) • Get more from this author (http://search.theregister.co.uk/?author=Lester%20Haines)
Posted in Bootnotes (http://www.theregister.co.uk/odds/bootnotes/), 6th May 2009 10:40 GMT

A Singapore woman who hired a private detective to probe her husband's suspected infidelities got more than sufficient material for a divorce when the gumshoe witnessed the chap's secretary accidently bite off his todger.
According to reports in China Press and, we kid you not, the Sin Chew Daily, the 30-year-old woman was orally pleasuring her boss in a parked car in a Singapore park when the vehicle was hit by a reversing van.

The investigator recounted: “On reaching the park, they did not alight from the car. Not long after, the car started to shake violently. After the car was hit by the van, there was a loud scream from the woman whose mouth was covered with blood.”

The private dick called an ambulance which whisked the victim to hospital. The woman "later followed her lover to the hospital with part of the sexual organ".
The detective admitted it was "the first time he had encountered such an incident".
Reports do not note the current state of the man's marriage, nor of his penis. ®

Binoculars
7th May 2009, 12:02
Ahh, memories of one of my favourite books, "The World According to Garp". Or was it Hotel New Hampshire? No, that was Susie the Bear and shagging his sister. A sick puppy, is our Mr. Irving, and perhaps my favourite author. The late Mr Updike thought along similar lines, god rest his soul.

maximus610
28th May 2009, 13:12
So, ladies n gentlemen, I've finally met her...I'm really satisfied with all my expectations.She's a wonderful girl, looks exactly like on the skype's webcam.
Followed your advice, I did some research before on the net about her person and everything matched.:ok:
I'm so happy and want to thanks all of you for your advices.
I'll definitely write down more about this experience later on.

Thnks a lot!

Mxms

Binoculars
28th May 2009, 13:48
I wouldn't normally write such an obvious response, maximus, but I think that's wonderful news and I wish you both well. :ok:

I can only repeat that chatting online is a massively superior way to get to know a person than shouting over dreadful music at a bar, and for those like myself who like time to compose their thoughts rather than attempt to be instantly witty (and I find most of those people to be shallow in the end) it's a peaceful and relaxed way of exchanging opinions.

Good luck!

eticket
28th May 2009, 16:41
Apologies for the thread drift but this could be fun for you to try out together.

So near, yet so far: How British girl is brought together with boyfriend 4,000 miles away in amazing Flickr photo art album | Mail Online (http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1189212/So-near-far-How-British-girl-brought-boyfriend-4-000-miles-away-amazing-Flickr-photo-art-album.html)

carlin
28th May 2009, 17:15
9 years ago i decide to get in to the internet and chat with some girls , and a few visits to the chat room i meet a girl that was in Los Angeles california about 3000 miles apart to where i was ( miami,fl ) 3 months later i decide to go visit at her it was great she was the same person that meet at the chat room.
Now she is my wife to beatiful kids and great life support me in my aviation career.
Go do it my friend.
good luck

carlin:ok:

YHZChick
28th May 2009, 17:24
Glad to hear it went well!

I've been corresponding almost daily with a guy in NYC that I met on a sailing forum. We've never talked on the phone, and I don't even know what he looks like, however he'll be in YHZ in just over a month and we have dinner and drinks planned. Should be interesting, but I don't have any great expectations from it either.

Keep us informed with what happens. how fun!