PDA

View Full Version : Wait till we get it up...

VH-Cheer Up
3rd May 2009, 02:25
The new V Australia TV commercial features a ladies-only version of the 777 with disco, ladies lounge etc. At the end the heroine sits down, breathless, next to the bearded one and says something positive but unmemorable.

He replies "If you think that's good, wait till we get it up!"

It sounds very sleazy.

Or is he just quietly letting his adoring public know that Little Dicky is starting to feel the strain and takes a lot more attention than it used to?

Runaway Gun
3rd May 2009, 06:50
It sounds like someone has a sense of humour :)

or, someone else hasn't...

bullamakanka
3rd May 2009, 08:27
I think its a top add. It gets my attention every time!!

If you like it or not it does not matter. We are talking about it.

Worrals in the wilds
3rd May 2009, 08:33
As I've said before in the JB discussion, a couple of cute guys wouldn't have gone astray :E
It's advertising. Innuendo sells.
IMHO no more offensive (or realistic) than a million other ads, music videos, weather girls etc etc.
Bulla's right, how long since an airline ad was discussed on here?

forgetabowdit
3rd May 2009, 08:45
Yeah, I like it. I like the reminder that they are no Qantas... The girl in the add is no Deborah Hutton and the cabin crew (a true representation or otherwise) are nothing like the way that Qantas cabin crew are represented in their advertising. And needless to say they are no Jetstar - Magda, the onya girl or black and orange polo shirts on cabin crew are nowhere to be seen...!

Anyway, tacky or not, sleazy or not, it gave me a smile and I heard someone non aviation related talking about it today. They thought it was funny and thought Richard Branson was an 'amazing guy'.

Two things struck me as funny though - the people talking about the add had really very little idea about anything to do with Richard Branson (such is the marketability of him and his brand I guess, but the other thing that still makes me smile (and now I think about it seems like a really good idea for the promotion of V) is that most people I speak to see V as 'Richard Branson's Australian Airline' not Virgin Blue's international airline. Quite a strong but subtle push to reinforce this don't you think... Thats definately how it has been sold in the US of A where obviously VB is unknown and also a model that they dont really want compared to V and its product.

At the end of the day though, with regards to the advertisement and the 'Fly Girls' and getting it up, if it works, they've had a win, if it doesn't, I'm sure it wont be long before they change it... Their little nest egg V Australia would be being verrrry closely monitorred I have NO doubt.

Cheers,

Forgetabowdit

P.S. I did hear that the 'Fly Boy's add has already been shot too...

Worrals in the wilds
3rd May 2009, 09:01
P.S. I did hear that the 'Fly Boy's add has already been shot too...

Capital! ;)
Interesting take on the RB thing, I hadn't picked up on that.

Do you think it's an effort to remove themselves from the VB 'LCC' image? They've certainly been pushing the full service thing.

BrissySparkyCoit
3rd May 2009, 10:21
Makes me cringe. He really is Austin Powers in real ife.

blow.n.gasket
3rd May 2009, 10:24
Teeth and all!:ok:

Arnold E
3rd May 2009, 10:28
I'm with you 100% Bulla:ok: and VH -Cheer -up, get a life!

Taildragger67
3rd May 2009, 10:30
Can't stand Virgin Atlantic (after more than one bad experience) and that one ad is precisely why I will not give my business to the Australian edition.

I prefer a real airline which takes its commitment to customers (and staff), seriously.

Limits my choices these days, I know... :confused:

Arnold E
3rd May 2009, 10:39
You wont give your business to somebody on the basis of one advert? Are you fair dinkum or are you just taking the piss? My god, if we have gone this far down the road of being consevative, then I think I will just go and shoot myself now

Taildragger67
3rd May 2009, 10:51
The basis of one ad, doing nothing to dispel any concern that they have brought the same spin to the local operation as what they have in the London one.

In any case, what do I matter? I'm only an economy-class muppet who pays for his own tickets. I don't do any business travel these days. They really don't need to worry about the likes of me. Hence the ad was all about their premium product.

Anyway, horses for courses. I've flown VS a small number of times and it's been uniformly underwhelming - so not for me. I'll probably end up on VAus some time when they're the cheapest where I want to go but for me (and my boring-old-fart fellow travellers), but on the basis of this ad, I won't be looking forward to it. If it works for you, then great; go for it and I (honestly) wish you a pleasant trip.

Arnold E
3rd May 2009, 11:23
TG67 what are you saying? Are you like me and will fly on any airline that you feel safe on if it comes at the right price? Lets face it, there are some airlines that I wouldn't fly on even if the seat price was zero. The advert actually has very little to do with it, particularly if you are in the industry. Even if you are not in the industry I suspect that people make a choice on how safe they feel and then after that, what airline will I fly on out of the ones I feel happy with? then I may look at the adverts, and only then ,maybe, the catchy one may infulence me if the price is equal.

assasin8
4th May 2009, 07:32
I like the ad... Found it very uplifting...:ok:

QF skywalker
4th May 2009, 08:04
The ad is not that different in it's portrayal of 'fly girls' as the newly released virgin atlantic 25 year anniversary advertisement just a few weeks back.

YouTube - Virgin Atlantic 25-year anniversary TV advert (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7AR2FsPF8w)