PDA

View Full Version : AVG free 8.5

allthatglitters
3rd May 2009, 01:52
Something strange happened, AVG free 8.5 downloaded the routine update, during the update installation said it had to reboot to continue, not convenient at that time so 20 minutes later rebooted. When the computer was up and running AVG had gone from the tray and an empty icon on the desktop, empty programme file, completely gone. Just reinstalled it and now just updated it.

Fun Police
7th May 2009, 22:43
strange.
i am no wizard so i cannot suggest anything. i am having issues with 8.5though, and i just downloaded (and paid for 2 yrs) and when i check for updates i always get "access to the server failed" or some such.
is there a way to fix this?
thanks in advance
FP

jimtherev
7th May 2009, 22:58
Always? Or are you set to update when every other person in the universe is doing so too? I've switched from 9 a.m. to midday BST and had few failures since then.

Fun Police
7th May 2009, 23:24
don't think so. i have been trying to update manually.

Tarq57
8th May 2009, 01:08
FP, you've paid for it. How about raising a support ticket, or at least asking on their forum?
I've read quite a few posts like yours. Seems maybe there is not enough bandwidth on the servers for the number of users they have.

Fun Police
8th May 2009, 01:49
i'll try to get on to one of their forums and see what kind of luck i have, thanks.
it didn't occur to me that there would be a forum. funny, i guess as there is a forum for aviation types, why not one for computer nerds (people:8)?
cheers
FP

Tarq57
8th May 2009, 02:51
Caution. Browsing too many computer help forums can bring out your inner nerd.:8:8:8:8:8

mustpost
8th May 2009, 06:11
Tarq57 agree:D, but in reply to original post exactly same circs, same thing, same day! Re-installed 8.0...

Fun Police
8th May 2009, 20:28
so, as suggested upon checking out the wisdom offered by the nerds i found this thread:
AVG Free Forum :: AVG 8.5 Free Edition :: AVG 8.5 Free Edition updation problem: Receiving error "connection with update server has failed" (http://freeforum.avg.com/read.php?12,184760,backpage=,sv=)
and half way down the page is a remedy that worked for me.
no wonder they won against the jocks!:ok: