PDA

View Full Version : Opportunities for a CPL in UK

Okavango
2nd May 2009, 21:59
Hi. What opportunities are there for a bare CPL (no instructor rating or IR) in the UK - paid or unpaid - basically just to keep up there.

hingey
2nd May 2009, 22:52
Aerial photography, parachute dropping (some places need IR) and scenic pleasure flights are possibilities. Depends how many hours you have. But I don't know of anywhere taking on people so not many I think is the accurate answer to your question!

h

Okavango
3rd May 2009, 08:49
Yeah - most local parachute clubs seem to want minimum 1000hrs for insurance purposes and also usually a lot of tail dragger experience in that, at least IMC rated and ideally type rated on whatever they operate. Not much then!! Doesn't seem to be much in the way of scenic ops (at least in the north west). Basically I just want to find something that I can do 'professionally' that will allow me to fly.

wangus
3rd May 2009, 10:10
Unfortunately, based on my experience of last 14 months, with a CPL, Multi IR, (and as of yet, a useles MCC), there will be nothing on offer for a CPL on it's own unless you are extremely lucky. Over 400 applications, I still haven't received my tenth acknowledgement.

Okavango
3rd May 2009, 12:20
How about glider towing? Is there any potential there - do you need a CPL or is this kind of operation just kept in-house to club members with a PPL?

Obs cop
3rd May 2009, 18:25
Okavango,

Certainly you could tow gliders as a CPL, however PPL's can tow gliders, don't cost anything to pay and most clubs run on a shoe string.

Whilst you could conceivably get some hours as a tuggie, the overwhelming probability is that you wouldn't get paid, instead you would pay to be a member of the club.

Worth a shot though if just to keep current and enjoy the flying.

Regards,
Obs

MIKECR
3rd May 2009, 22:05
Try the British Gliding Assosciation website where you'll find a map with your local clubs. I've posted the link below. Personally, I think you stand more of a chance getting some tugging than para dropping. I currently do a bit of both and have found that the para clubs generally require extra experience in terms of hours, as well as some sort of instrument qualification(IR or IMC rating). As for pay, there's no money to be made im afraid. Some of the bigger clubs(para as well as gliding) do pay a small amount but generally most clubs will only pay you a bacon buttie and a cup of coffee...:(

British Gliding Association - UK Map (http://www.gliding.co.uk/findaclub/ukmap.htm)

Finals19
4th May 2009, 10:38
Para clubs will require an IMC or IR and some solid experience. Mainly due to the amount of hours you will fly on a busy day and the unpredictable UK wx. A few ops have exemptions to operate into class A to drop over head as well. As mentioned, most don't pay, or you might get your lunch or petrol covered. Its a lot more demanding than some might think - a twelve hour day and 6+ flight hours of up-down-up-down is not unusual.