PDA

View Full Version : I'm thinking about Sunday breakfast

Sprogget
2nd May 2009, 21:23
Again.

Here's the juice.

OJ, not concentrate. Coffee, not instant. Then the paper. Then another coffee. Then quite possibly by then, ablutions to be attended to - too much coffee. Then the main event.

Bacon x2 rashers, flu checked. A decent soda farl, black pudding, soft scrambled eggs & brown sauce as I'm a grown up. Then it'll be 7am so time to go get the family up. That'll do for me.:ok:

con-pilot
2nd May 2009, 21:44
Noon. Roll out of bed, shower, get dressed. Go into the bar and make a Bloody Mary. Take Bloody Mary into the kitchen. Tell Chef that you want steak and eggs, 2 inch thick Strip medium rare, eggs easy over, with warm toast and lots of butter, but first a fresh toasted bagel with cream cheese and lox. Go back into the bar and make another Bloody Mary. While drinking the Bloody Mary go outside and get the Sunday Newspaper. Return to bar. Turn on TV to watch the news while reading the paper. Eat bagel. Make another Bloody mary.

Eat steak and eggs, finish last Bloody Mary. Mix a pitcher Mimosas (champagne and orange juice). Go out to the pool area and drink the Mimosas.

Take a nap.

Now that is a Sunday breakfast.

(If and when I ever have a breakfast like that I'll let you know. ;))

flash8
2nd May 2009, 21:53
Hmmmm for me the day always starts the same way at the moment...

Out of bed at 0655 courtesy of R4, 40 pressups, Green Tea, Bowl of Rice (and sometimes some microwaved smoked kippers), Shower, 5KM run, maybe church as its a Sunday (if I can be arsed) and then ready for the day...

And Saturday nights? Sad Internet Git.

Sprogget
2nd May 2009, 21:55
Con:eek:

http://i44.tinypic.com/znvmlw.jpg

This would be the fortune cookie!

CR2
2nd May 2009, 22:18
Wake up, poke wife to see if there is any chance of a poke, then either way coffee and a cig...

:D

Standard Noise
2nd May 2009, 22:29
Full Ulster fer me - soda, tayty, wheaten, black pud, bacon, sausies, 2 fried eggs, beans, mushrooms with HP sauce and a large mug of shipyard tea. Then off out to get the paper with Lucyfer.

On the other hand, if CR2's wife isn't busy.................:E

con-pilot
2nd May 2009, 23:39
Okay, real typical Sunday breakfast, no grandson.

9-ish, roll out of bed, take shower, get dressed, go out and get Sunday Paper. Go back into house and go to the bar, fill glass with ice and pour in Diet Coke, when the weather is cold I have a proper cup of tea with milk and sugar, turn on TV and watch the news while reading the paper.

10-ish, Mrs. C-P comes out of bedroom.

I ask, "What would you like for breakfast dear?"

She informs me of her desire for breakfast and I go into the kitchen and cook her breakfast.

Now, Sunday breakfast when grandson is in residence.

6-ish, sound asleep, then suddenly awakened by small voice.

"Poppa, Poppa," a little louder, "Poppa, Poppa," a lot louder, "POPPA, POPPA, waffles, I want waffles", then "POPPA, POPPA!"

Me, "Migersnorf, muckly, huck, wasser, huh?"

"Poppa, waffles,,,,,,,,you said you'd make waffles."

"Oh, right, waffles, yes, I'll make you some waffles. Now go into the family room and watch TV while I get dressed." Grandson leaves and I roll out of bed. Stagger into the shower and take a long hot shower, get dressed.

Walk over to the wife's side of the bed. "Honey, darling, hello, our grandson wants waffles, are you going to get up?"

Mrs. C-P, "Missywognof, bummerupstaff, whatsthehellisit." (Translation; no I don't think so dear, I'll just lay here for a little while longer, why don't you take care of our darling little grandson and I'll join you later. IN ABOUT FOUR HOURS! Now leave me alone.)

"Yes dear, you have a bit of a lay in and I'll take care of our grandson."

"Migerdog diggsbat, ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ." She will reply.

I go into the bar, get a glass, fill with ice, get a Diet Coke and go into the kitchen. Grandson sees me go into the kitchen, flies off the chair he has been sitting on watching TV and joins me in the kitchen.

"Poppa, can I help?"

"Yes honey, you can help. Get the eggs and the milk out of the refrigerator while I go to the pantry and get everything else."

"Okay Poppa." I turn and go to the pantry and while I'm in the pantry I hear, "Uh Oh."

Go back into the kitchen and clean up broken eggs and split milk off floor. Tell grandson not to worry, it was just an accident. Supervise grandson get more eggs out of the refrigerator. Pull stool up to kitchen counter for grandson to sit on. Make the batter taking turns stirring with grandson. Beat egg white. Grandson helps with the electric beaters.

Clean up semi-beaten eggs off of floor, pick up pieces of broken glass bowl. Tell grandson not to worry, it was just an accident. Get out metal bowl, separate six more eggs, beat egg whites until fluffy and semi-firm. Grandson wants to help fold egg whites into batter.

Pull a back muscle in a feat of unbelievable athletic prowest saving grandson, batter and bowl of egg whites from all crashing onto the floor. Tell grandson not to worry, it was just an accident.

Apologize to grandson for using a bad word.

Can't find waffle iron. After a search I find waffle iron under a sack of potatoes in the pantry. Apologize to grandson for using more bad words. Plug in waffle iron, then go back to the bar to get another Diet Coke, look longingly at a bottle of Scotch. Hear scream from kitchen.

Put ice on very minor burn on grandson's hand, tell him not to touch the waffle iron again, tell grandson not to worry, it was just an accident. Go back into the bar, clean up broken glass and spilled ice.

Make waffles, cover with peanut butter and maple syrup. Place plate on breakfast table in kitchen. Grandson wants to watch cartoons on TV in the family room. Against better judgment set up grandson on chair in family room and get out a TV tray to put plate on. Let dogs in from outside.

Clean up broken plate, waffles, peanut butter, maple syrup and spilled orange juice off of carpet in family room with the help of the dogs. Make more waffles, cover with peanut butter and maple syrup, put plate on breakfast table, tell grandson to eat. Throw dogs back outside.

Apologize to grandson for using a bad word.

Mrs. C-P comes out of bedroom, "What on earth are you doing sitting in the bar drinking a Bloody Mary this early in the morning."

Apologize to Mrs. C-P and grandson for using bad words.

brickhistory
2nd May 2009, 23:47
:ok:

OFSO
3rd May 2009, 07:09
Great, Con-Pilot. The pleasure of having kinder/grand kinder.

Sunday morning: 7 a.m., think relaxed time in bed, maybe some of the other.....

Wake up, go to bathroom, come back, Buster the Cat (weighs 6Kg) is now purring in my spot in the bed beside my wife..

Decide to get up instead (as if I had a choice).

Special K with banana, raisins, coconut and two cups of espresso. Wife gorging on bacon and eggs which smell great.

Sun coming up.... church waiting.

Sunday morning coming down.

Ten West
3rd May 2009, 07:36
Cooking my own breakfast? No thanks.

I'm about to hit the shower then meet up with an "Ops" colleague and head down to Camden Lock.

CAMDEN MARKETS LONDON (http://www.camdenlock.net/index.html)

Peruse all the food stalls in West Yard and see what takes our fancy. :ok:

Sprogget
3rd May 2009, 07:39
Ah West yard, not done that for a few years. Lovely oj pulped in front of you I recall.:ok:

tony draper
3rd May 2009, 07:40
Here's a interesting breakfast menu.:uhoh:
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a194/Deaddogbay/Titanic.jpg

Ten West
3rd May 2009, 07:45
Mmmm.... Gruel! :ok:

Ah West yard, not done that for a few years. Lovely oj pulped in front of you I recall.

Sure is. Then a pint or two in The Hawley Arms or The Good Mixer after lunch.

I'll tell you another good one you'd like: Borough Market, 5 minutes' walk from London Bridge. Fantastic food! whether you eat there or buy stuff to stock up on at home. Sit in the sun, eat brekkie, read the papers (if that sort of thing is your bag).

Lovely! :cool:

Borough Market | Home (http://boroughmarket.org.uk/index.php?pid=1)

Rollingthunder
3rd May 2009, 07:48
Hmm, Gruel,,, I'll pay 1s/3p for that per trip

Nicolaus Silver
3rd May 2009, 07:56
JUICY WONDERING WHAT THE TESTING GUYS HAD FOR BREAKFAST BEFORE BREAKING OPEN THAT NEW AIRBUS IN FRANCE...

The brand spanking new Airbus 340-600, the largest passenger airplane ever built, before the A380, sat in its hangar in Toulouse, France without a single hour of airtime. Enter crew of Aircraft Technologies to conduct pre-delivery tests on the ground, such as engine run-ups, prior to delivery.

The crew taxied the A340-600 to the run-up area. Then they took all four engines to takeoff power with a virtually empty aircraft. Not having read the run-up manuals, they had no clue just how light an empty A340-600 really is.

The takeoff warning horn was blaring away in the cockpit because they had all 4 engines at full power. The aircraft computers thought they were trying to take off but the aircraft had not been configured properly (flaps/slats, etc.) Then one of the crew decided to pull the circuit breaker on the Ground Proximity Sensor to silence the alarm.

This fooled the aircraft into thinking it was in the air.
The computers automatically released all the brakes and set the aircraft rocketing forward. The crew had no idea that this is a safety feature so that pilots can't land with the brakes on.

Not one member of the crew was bright enough to throttle back the engines from their max power setting, so the $200 million brand-new aircraft crashed into a blast barrier, totalling it.

More eggs?

tony draper
3rd May 2009, 07:57
It's all just to much bother on a Sunday morn,soft boiled egg in me blue china egg cup and some soldiers I reckon.
:)

Ten West
3rd May 2009, 08:00
I'd head down to Blake's (opposite the theatre) if I were in Newcastle on such a lovely day as this.
Or a stroll along the quayside maybe? Although there's not as much to see there as there used to be.

tony draper
3rd May 2009, 08:09
Indeed as sprogs the quayside on a Sunday Morning was a must,first a pint of Sasparilla at the herbalist on Gateshead High Street of course.
Used to be a cafe in Newcastle famed for its all day Breakfast,even made it on to television news,bacon eggs sausage black pud mushies beans tomato and of course fried bread,tried it a couple of time but thought it represented quantity rather than quality as it weren't very well cooked IMHO.
:)

Ten West
3rd May 2009, 08:25
I used to like having Sunday lunch in that pub that's built into the cliffs in on the South side of the Tyne estuary.

Can't remember what it was called, possibly Marsden Grotto, but all you could see from above was a car park with a small entrance to the lift. You'd get in the lift, go down and come out in the pub.
The dining room was pretty much on the beach! Eating dinner with the sea just a few metres away was a nice place to be.

I once found a great cafe in Whitley Bay that I used to frequent for brekkie too. In the shopping street, pretty much opposite the auction rooms. Again, the name escapes me though.

sitigeltfel
3rd May 2009, 08:39
Ah, the great British fry up breakfast. Its been keeping heart surgeons in business for decades.

Straight black tea for me on wakening then a pain au raisin with coffee after a trip to the boulangerie.

L'aviateur
3rd May 2009, 08:40
I'm still in bed, so I think i'll just wait for lunch.

Snow_Owl
3rd May 2009, 09:34
You just know that you will be missing one ingredient for the perfect cooked breakfast so if possible head down to a Little Chef restaurant.
Their Olypmic breakfast is amazing!

lexxity
3rd May 2009, 10:00
Ah Sunday Breakfast.

Rise to shouts of MUMMMMMMMMYYYYY! MUUUMMMMMYYYY! MMMUUMMMMMYYYY!

Quick cuddle then the dogs start whining and banging around.

If a lazy day head downstairs in PJ's and slippers.

Put dogs out. Get their Breakfast ready. Three bowls of biscuits and a large bowl of water.

Get dogs back in.

Make Leo's breakfast. Have him shout at me because he wanted Jam not the nutella Mummy though to treat him with. Mummy, can I have my telly on please?

Maje own toast and large brew of tea. Finally sit down with same and have Leo want to eat half of what I have, dogs want other half. Make another brew and consider lack of full breakfast a diet.

G-CPTN
3rd May 2009, 11:01
Marsden Grotto used to be our favourite place for lunch on New Year's Day (a trip to the coast was de rigeur for NYD).

Standard Noise
3rd May 2009, 14:40
Ah, the great British fry up breakfast. Its been keeping heart surgeons in business for decades.

a pain au raisin with coffee

2 things.......
1 - In these difficult times we need to keep people in employment.
2 - That's what I call elevenses.

No soda this morning, had to make do with toast, but the mushrooms were home grown Portobellos fresh from the crop in my garage. Nice.

RJM
3rd May 2009, 16:34
Mr Draper, is that menu genuine? Unless it were left with the printer, you would think that cardboard would not have survived the setback which RMS Titanic suffered on 14th April 1912.

RJM
3rd May 2009, 16:44
Menu served at the Cafe Voisin, 261, rue St. Honore, Paris.
December 25, 1870
99th Day of the Siege
Franco-Prussian War

Following the emptying of the Paris Zoo

HORS D' OEUVRES
Stuffed Donkey's Head - Sardines

SOUPS
Elephant Consomme

ENTREES
Roast Camel English Style

ROASTS
Haunch of Wolf, Venison Sauce
Cat flanked by Rats
Watercress Salad
Antelope Terrine with Truffles

SIDE DISHES
Rice Cake with Jam

DESSERTS
Gruyere Cheese

WINES
Sherry Mouton Rothschild 1864
La Tour Blanche 1861 Roman Conti 1858
Ch. Palmer 1864 Bellenger frappe
Grand Porto 1827

Source: The Art of French Cooking, by B. Winer

tony draper
3rd May 2009, 17:15
The caption claimed so Mr RMJ,it said menu picked up by rescue craft,it didn't elabortate
:uhoh:

Ten West
3rd May 2009, 17:25
Menu served at the Cafe Voisin, 261, rue St. Honore, Paris.
December 25, 1870
99th Day of the Siege
Franco-Prussian War

And I bet it was still cheaper than the "Olympic Breakfast" at a Little Thief. :*

...Three bowls of biscuits and a large bowl of water.

Sounds like my kinda brekky! :}

...but the mushrooms were home grown Portobellos fresh from the crop in my garage. Nice.

I'll have to try some from the crop growing in the leaky boot carpet of my car. :\