View Full Version : BBC1 'Airport' last nught...

swashplate
22nd Jun 2001, 16:51
Just wanted to say:

Excellent decision by Cyprus Airways A310 Capt to prevent ******** pax ('We've got drugs...') from boarding.

Good explanation of decision by Capt as well.

------------------
Live long and Prosper.....

Desk Driver
22nd Jun 2001, 17:10
I missed it what happened?

------------------
-------------------------
You fly em we'll fill em!

Fast Jet Wannabe
23rd Jun 2001, 00:25
Briefly, Desk Driver, 2 middle aged guys joked about having drugs on themselves at check-in. The police were called, they were stripped searched, and found to be clean.

The lovely Maria called the Captain who decided to off-load one of them. When challenged by the camera guy he gave an excellent reasoning of his actions.

According to Maria, "the majority" of the Cyprus Airways Captains would have off-loaded the pax concerned. I guess this was a nice Captain as he only off-loaded one of them!

What are other airline policies regarding this kind of incident? I was surprised to see the Captain actually come all the way to the check-in area to see them!

212man
24th Jun 2001, 01:03
What I couldn't understand was why that bunch of drunken cretins were allowed on the week before.

------------------
Another day in paradise

Locolito
24th Jun 2001, 14:00
Well my reckoning on the drunk irish people is that if she had off loaded some pax then there would have been 50 or 60 pax to rebook aswell as having 60 odd people roaming around the terminal for the rest of the night/day. So basically if she could get them all on then it would save the cyprus airways staff alot of work. Plus none of them were actually a danger i think.

BRgds,
Locolito.

Negative Charlie
25th Jun 2001, 18:15
It was indeed an excellent decision by the Captain not to allow the "drug-smuggling" passenger on board his flight, but why the Hell was he allowed onto the next one? Surely if this sort of decision is to have any effect then it should be applied across the board, i.e. an airline-wide ban rather than a minor inconvenience?

Evanelpus
25th Jun 2001, 19:44
Yeah but doesn't that Maria sort get on your t**s?

If ever there was a case of self promotion this girl suffers from it large!!

Locolito
25th Jun 2001, 22:31
She is a tad on the fickle side but she's ok.

Flap 5
26th Jun 2001, 14:45
The Captain was placed in the rather difficult position of having a TV camera thrust in his face. Under those circumctances he played safe to avoid the inevitable media criticism if he did not.

In fact the police being called, a body search and the threat of being off loaded would have been enough to clarify the seriousness of making such a joke. Actually being off loaded, I believe, was the result of the TV cameras being present.

Natterjack
26th Jun 2001, 20:42
Anyone know the e-mail address of Maria? :)

Mycroft
27th Jun 2001, 01:31
On one of the earlier series that had a pax who said his violin case contained a tommy gun, he then made the mistake of not accepting agent/police annoyance and was dragged of to the cells and I think was then barred