PDA

View Full Version : New Book on the history of the Boeing B-17 Fortress with RAF Coastal Command

orionsbelt
1st May 2009, 11:10
My Father was a Flight Engineer flying RAF B17s on 220 sqdn out of the Azores in 1943/44 on Operation Alacarity.

A new book has been written on this Operation by Robert Stitt in Canada with help from Dad and the few remaining crew left alive and is due to be published later this year. The book covers operations by 206 and 220 Sqdn B17s, Hudsons of 233 Sqdn and Wellingtons of 172 and 179 Sqdns

Roberts Quote is shown below

''I'm pleased to advise that my book on the history of the Boeing B-17 Fortress with RAF Coastal Command is to be published later this year.

Copies can be reserved by contacting Mushroom Model Publishing (MMP) at:

- Roger Wallsgrove, 36 Ver Road, Redbourn, Herts AL3 7PE, UK
- by sending an e-mail to Roger Wallsgrove at , or
- by phoning at +44 (0)1582 792126.

Books ordered in advance of publication will be sent post free.

Robert M Stitt
1199 Sutherland Drive
Cowichan Bay, British Columbia
Canada V0R 1N2

Phone: 250-701-9031 ''

This book tells the full story of Operations out of the Azores most of which has been overlooked by other authors. This book puts the record straight, records the U Boat kills and the RAF losses experienced on Operation Alacrity.

Additionally I understand that 206(R) Sqdn are due to reform soon. So this might be of interest to them.

Hope its of interest.

albatross
2nd May 2009, 04:28
Thanks for the info.

Do you know if we can order direct from the author - for we Canadians.

robstitt
3rd May 2009, 21:28
Book is only available direct from the publisher BUT is post-free if pre-ordered.
Regards:
Robert Stitt

robstitt
4th May 2009, 01:46
Adding to the first post, the book covers the entire history of the Boeing B-17 Fortress with RAF Coastal Command, from February 1942 and the brief use of the Fortress I, through anti-U-boat operations from the UK using the Fortress IIA and II until the move to the Azores and, following service in the Azores, its use in the meteorological reconnaissance role until early 1946. Coastal Command squadrons with which the Fortress served included 220, 206, 59, 519, 251 and 521.
Regards:
Robert Stitt