PDA

View Full Version : ryanair advice

gnc
30th Apr 2009, 17:21
hello, i have just booked a flight too portugal on ryanair, wasnt as cheap as lead to believe but thats that. can anybody give advice on any other way i can get away without paying any other hidden costs like online booking etc. any help would be appreciated.

geof.

davidjohnson6
30th Apr 2009, 18:18
Take only hand luggage

Do not even think about trying to check in anywhere other than online

Get yourself an Electron card - the Halifax or the Post Office do these

When you want to book a flight, start monitoring the prices on the airline website about 6 months in advance on a daily basis. A few months prior to flight date, the price for a few days will come down to something cheap before rising back up again

Do not buy insurance from the airline website

Do not take musical instruments, gold clubs or anything large and bulky with you

Only book if you are certain you will not want to change the time / date of the flight

Make sure you know where the departure and destination airports are in relation to where you live and where you want to visit - some are only a few km from the city centre, while others are over 100 km and require expensive ground transport

Bring your own food and drink with you - do not buy food / drink either at an airport or on a plane

Do not choose priority boarding - be prepared to sit wherever you can find a seat in the scrum that is called boarding.

raffele
30th Apr 2009, 18:41
I agree with davidjohnson6's advice, however as we're still not allowed to take liquids through security, unless you plan to separate a 500ml bottle of water into 5 100ml bottles for screening, you might just have to bear airport rip off prices for drinks!

One other thing - on the insurance front, its not so much a case of don't buy it, more make sure you've removed it from the booking. I honestly can't believe Ryanair can legally get away with automatically adding insurance to a booking...

Tim00
30th Apr 2009, 19:52
To avoid buying water (if the bu**ers are going to take if off you, then morally they should supply free replacement IMO), take an empty bottle through security.

I go through Stansted about 6 times/year, & there's drinking fountains at the satellite gates. There's also one immediately after security on the left by the toilets, however it's currently inaccessible owing to building works. Ask. There's also one in baggage reclaim on the way back.

At Gatwick, they seem to have blanked off some of the fountains. I received amazing service there last year: asked a nice chap wearing a dayglow BAA 'helper' jacket where I could get drinking water since the fountain had been blanked off. He offered to get me a (free) bottle of water from their staff area, however he came back full of apologies saying they'd run out. Several minutes later, he came up to me as I was standing around; not only had he got me a sealed bottle from somewhere, but he's walked the floor 'till he found me. Really nice of him.

PAXboy
30th Apr 2009, 20:17
gnc... can anybody give advice on any other way i can ...Read this thread:
http://www.pprune.org/passengers-slf-self-loading-freight/345056-ryanair-questions-comments-bouquets-brickbats-merged.html

Welcome to the forum, you will probably find that most of the questions on most of the topics have already got a thread. Further, check the FAQ which remains at the top of the forum topic listing.

Avman
30th Apr 2009, 22:30
If you booked Ryanair it's already too late for advice! :}

al446
1st May 2009, 10:40
Quite simple, AVOID RYANAIR.