PDA

View Full Version : FROL and use of transceiver

Back Pressure
30th Apr 2009, 09:13
I've searched high & low through CASA & DOTARS etc websites for this info but found virtually nothing...my question is:

As a holder of a FROL, am I entitled (or permitted) to use a transceiver to transmit whilst NOT flying ? I ask this as I have, on a number of occasions, seen and heard (VHF receiver) potentially dangerous situations which may have benefited from a brief broadcast to the relevant traffic.

Factual case: night at YMMB CTAF(R), aircraft approaches from southwest, no calls on 118.1, proceeds to enter circuit and starts doing touch&go's, all with no transmissions whatsoever - obviously not good. Traffic calls inbound from the north, receives no response from circuit traffic, so may well assume circuit empty. Does a FROL permit me (on the ground, off-airport) to warn the inbound traffic of the no-radio ?? If I did so warn, would I have transgressed some regulation ?

Hope this isn't too stupid a question, but hey, I'm only GFPT :{

YPJT
30th Apr 2009, 09:23
Don't sell yourself short mate. Its good to see that sort of situational awareness regardless of your licence. I'm sure if I was flying into an aerodrome I would like to have at least a mental picture of what else is in the circuit.
I see the problem being, that you have to identify yourself on the radio. You are not a CA/GRS or UNICOM but hey, why not walk over and stand next to the aircraft you usually fly and use that callsign? :}

Back Pressure
30th Apr 2009, 09:40
YPJT, thanks for the ego boost :ok:

That was my big worry - how would I identify myself ? I can't go and stand next to my usual plane - I live 2 k's away, and can see & hear almost everything that goes on in the circuit. Maybe I could just pretend that I'm in the LH seat prior to start ??? Except that the school knows I ain't doing NVFR endo...so if word got around...

I suppose if I helped avert a tragedy, I'd be a hero, otherwise I'd be in front of a beak without a leg to stand on...

BP

triton140
30th Apr 2009, 10:08
Pilots operate under a Class Licence, which is set out in detail here (http://www.comlaw.gov.au/ComLaw/Legislation/LegislativeInstrument1.nsf/framelodgmentattachments/A2ABBAF6BE1EF3A5CA2571DF0014B025).

Seems like your situation fits the "aeronautical mobile station" definition - so if you have a FROL you should be OK, provided you identify yourself "using a form of identification that clearly identifies the station". I guess that's the same rule our instructors operate under when they send us solo and keep in touch on the handheld transceiver.

There are confusing frequency limitations, but seems if it's mentioned in AIP it's OK!