PDA

View Full Version : How green is green ?

Jofm5
30th Apr 2009, 05:11
The new electric C1: Electric CitroŽn C1 car is ready, but government grants are not - Times Online (http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/transport/article6194754.ece)

So for £16,800 you can buy a Citreon C1 electric car that can drive you up to 70 miles after you have charged it for 7 hours (cost 90p approx).

After all the emissions producing the vehicle and the electricity to charge it for 1 seventy mile trip I would not be surprised if its less environmently friendly than a standard 2 litre saloon.

It would be interesting to actually compare CO2 per mile (or equivalent environmental impact).

sitigeltfel
30th Apr 2009, 06:01
When I hear people talking about these so called "green" vehicles I snarl at the hypocrisy of it all. They do not want to hear about the toxic batteries that will be very difficult to dispose of at the end of their life. Also the hybrids that waste more fuel lugging around part redundant electric motors and batteries than they will ever save, the Toyota Pious being the worst example. I pity the ignorant third or fourth owners who get lumbered with these when they expire, it will cost them a fortune to scrap. :ugh:

tio540
30th Apr 2009, 06:04
The clean, green electricity used to charge the Citroen comes from a dirty smelly coal fired power station. The green left have yet to grasp this fact.

The Toyota Hybrid costs 50% more than the Corolla, to save 4 litres/100 km in fuel. The batteries cost about $3000 USD to replace. Ouch.:bored:

Windy Militant
30th Apr 2009, 10:27
Thought the Froggies were big on Nukes, so low CO≤.
I'm more concerned about the fast charge system for electric cars. How thick is the cable going to be and where are they going to put the charging points? Nowhere near the petrol pumps I hope or things could get really exciting.
What happened to the compressed air cars they were going to have in Paris? A far better Idea, no heavy metals to dispose of like batteries and all the catalytic converters currently going into land fill. :}

forget
30th Apr 2009, 10:33
What happened to the compressed air cars they were going to have in Paris?

Eh :confused: Simple physics tells me that could never work. Go on - prove me wrong.

Sprogget
30th Apr 2009, 10:36
Anyone who shells out 16-8 on A Shitroen wnats their bumps felt in any event. It's a well known fact any Brand new french car is worth 75p after a thousand miles. That is if it makes a thousand miles.:)

dakkg651
30th Apr 2009, 12:39
Sprogget.

What a blatant piece of exageration.

I cannot believe that any French car can be worth anywhere near 75p.

Mind you, I think that anyone calling themselves British should be prosecuted for treason if caught owning one.

frostbite
30th Apr 2009, 14:40
Is there anything about the green/global warming/climate change agendas that isn't a total or partial con?

Storminnorm
30th Apr 2009, 14:45
Yes there is, but I'm forbidden to tell you! OK?

(Buy shares in alternative power companies, OK?)

'Nuff said, nudge nudge.

Burnt Fishtrousers
30th Apr 2009, 16:25
So lets get this right a normal C1 costs about 7k, you can fill it up anywhere, get good fuel consumption, drive as far as you like.An electric one costs 17K you have to charge it up, it can only do 70miles between charges and presumably its got pi$$ poor luggage space and has a calendar for a speedo

French cars are notoriously prone to electrical problems ..... so they market an electric car ...it will be a non starter ....literally ..and you will have to get a guy from Moulinex to fix it

Dushan
30th Apr 2009, 16:32
"Honey, I feel the contractions coming. I think we should head for the hospital."

"Sorry, but you better hold of for another 6 hours, I just started charging the C1-Electric. You know how far the hospital is."