PDA

View Full Version : Food

jet_noseover
29th Apr 2009, 21:04
I did some search on this site trying to find receipe for a/the fav meatloaf some of you might have. (Rollingthunder and Connie come to mind...:))

You see, there will be a mini bash (with some on here) in my quarters in a few days and I want to accomodate the request(s).

We are all tired of standing rib roasts, steaks, chicken and chops.
Fishy thingies been out. I can not stand them so will not make'em.

Simple meatloaf with hard boil eggs inside been requested I make. :ugh:

I mix ground beef sirloin and a bit of ground pork, add a bit of apple sauce, chopped onion, raw egg and milk soaked dry crumbs into the combo before baking. Plus the obvious: salt and pepper.

Any other add ons?

Planned on serving it with mashed potatoes, carmelized red onions (in beer) and asparagus.
(And no, I will not butcher it with ketchup when presented). Proper mushroom gravy is acceptable though)

thoughts? Ideas?

Now..vino to accomodate the above is another issue. :}

jimgriff
29th Apr 2009, 21:42
U need a large dash of worcester sauce!
And ground beef and pork - Not minced- there is a difference!

Have a good eve!

jet_noseover
29th Apr 2009, 21:53
Aww, yes.
I forgot about the sauce...One person has allergy to the spice in it. So that option is out.:uhoh:

Rollingthunder
29th Apr 2009, 21:53
Baked Meatloaf with Mushroom Sauce

Ingredients :

1 1/2 lb ground chuck
1 1/2 lb ground pork
1 lrg yellow onion, chopped
1 stalk celery, finely chopped
1/2 lrg green bell pepper, chopped
1/2 x red bell pepper, chopped
2 clv garlic, minced
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1/4 cup ketchup
1 tsp salt
1 tsp white pepper
2 tbl unsalted butter
2 tbl cooking oil
Mushroom Sauce:
8 oz white mushrooms
3 tbl unsalted butter
1/4 cup pan drippings
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp white pepper
2 cup beef broth
2 tbl dry Sherry

Method :
Preheat oven to 350 F. Butter a 12 x 18-inch of aluminum foil. Fold the edges up to make a 8 x 14-inches and place it on a baking sheet. Heat the butter and oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add 1 cup onions, celery, green pepper and saute for 3 minutes. Add the garlic and saute 2 minutes more, than transfer to a large bowl. Add the meat, bread crumbs, ketchup, salt, and pepper. Whisk the eggs until frothy. Add the eggs and mix until all ingredients are in incorporated. Take the meatloaf mixture out of the bowl and shape into a loaf about 12-inches long, 6-inches wide, by 3-inches high. Place the meat loaf in the aluminum box and top with the remaining onions. Bake the meat loaf until it is firm in the center, 45 to 60 minutes. Serve with Mushroom Sauce.

Mushroom Sauce:
Clean the mushrooms and slice vertically, 1/4-inch thick. Melt the 3 tablespoons of butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and saute 4 minutes. Lower heat to low-medium. Add the garlic and saute 4 more minutes. Transfer mushrooms to a bowl, discarding garlic. Heat the drippings in a large skillet over medium heat. Whisk in the flour and white pepper until smooth. Slowly add the beef broth, continue until the sauce thickens. Add the Sherry. Stir in the sauteed mushrooms and cook for 2 minutes.

No eggs.

jet_noseover
29th Apr 2009, 21:57
I knew you'd come around to this one, RT!:ok:

(wanna join us?)

Why no eggs?

I never tried garlic in meatloaf though. Nice one!
Ta

:ok:

Rollingthunder
29th Apr 2009, 22:03
Eggs are not traditional. Go for it if you want. Difficult to handle in the cooking process though. Would go for hard-boiled eggs on the side if really wanted.

OR: Meatloaf Recipes at Food Down Under Recipe Database (http://fooddownunder.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi?q=meatloaf+)

Rollingthunder
29th Apr 2009, 22:05
There are plans for a mini-bash in Brussels.

Might be better called the Sproutbash.:ok::}:)

Flash2001
29th Apr 2009, 22:16
RT

If no eggs, why are they mentioned under "Method"?

After an excellent landing you can use the airplane again!

Solid Rust Twotter
29th Apr 2009, 22:24
For two lbs of ground beef/pork use a handfull of coriander seeds and about 5-6 cloves. Pound in a mortar and pestle and add to the meat. Couple of spoons of fresh chopped parsley, couple of chopped tomatoes and plenty of slightly caramelised onions. Salt and pepper to taste, couple of mashed chicken livers for richness and a cup or two of bread crumbs (not soaked). Dash of Worcestershire sauce and mix it all well. Add your boiled eggs and do as you would for your standard meat loaf.

pigboat
29th Apr 2009, 22:34
That site is in Oz. You'll have to bake it upside down for it to work in the Northern hemisphere jetsy.:p

Lon More
29th Apr 2009, 22:43
Comprehensive instructions there, RT. Is it compulsory to eat it by a dashboard light?

jet_noseover
29th Apr 2009, 22:47
Heh, Piggy!!! will do. I might even try to bake the goods while the full moon is on. :)

RT, I was going to mention the loaf be served with the brusselsprouts, but hear many folks here do not care for those...Personally...I love'em.

SRT..hmm..I think the meatloaf I'll make, be a combo of all suggestions. I'll put all of the ingriediences recomended. From all of you.

(I'll have some beef stew and ribs on stand-by if the garbage-loaf is a disaster)

:)

I thought the egg will keep the meat "together" if added. No splitting or meat cracking when backed???

I'll be in NL next month..Amsterdam...anyone for a bashy-thingy?

eliptic
29th Apr 2009, 23:01
mix in some boiled garlic rice:ok:and instead of milk take crème fraiche.

henry crun
29th Apr 2009, 23:13
jimgriff: I had always assumed that ground and minced meat were different names for the same thing, and google would indicate that to be so.

Please tell me what you understand the difference to be.

brickhistory
29th Apr 2009, 23:22
Lon, I'm glad I'm not the only one who cottoned to that.

I would do anything for food, but I won't do that...

jet_noseover
30th Apr 2009, 00:30
Uhmmm...I put rice into the mix when preparing stuffed cabbage or peppers.
This one be just a meatloaf

G-CPTN
30th Apr 2009, 00:39
I'm no expert, but, having researched ground and minced meat I can see that there is a difference.
I don't know exactly how a meat grinder is constructed or how it works, but, if you took regular minced meat and then put it into a 'liquidiser' or blender and ran it until the meat was 'mush' or a paste rather than strands of meat muscle then you would have ground meat.
I suspect that meat prepared for sausage-making is ground rather than minced (presumably to disguise any less-than-savoury pieces that are included).

I suppose an alternative (if you only have a normal mincer) would be to repeat the mincing process by passing the minced meat though again (or several times) until the required consistency is achieved.

jet_noseover
30th Apr 2009, 00:52
Oiii. PoP

Yer be a definite engineer!! :)
I just asked for a decent meatloaf recepie... Not how the grinders work...:ugh::)

I just loves ya!!!!

DC Meatloaf
30th Apr 2009, 02:01
Ah, a topic close to my heart.

Lately, I've been preferring a "Mexican" variant (no idea if anyone south of the border has ever really tried this, though) -- mainly because my wife makes a mean salsa, though we've tried it with various canned salsas and they work fine, too.

I'm not sure of quantities...we sort of improvise and add as much as the spirit moves us. But it's something like:

1 lb of ground beef (that's like what, 230kg or 17 stone or something?) :8
12 tortilla chips, crushed
1 cup of salsa (roasted pepper salsas seem to work well)
1 egg
Cayenne or Chili Powder
Garlic (powder is fine)

Mix thoroughly, mold into log, bake at 375 F (8000 C?) for 45 minutes.

Goes great with garlic mashed potatoes. :ok:

jet_noseover
30th Apr 2009, 02:15
Ha,,DC Meatloaf..that sounds like something I'd want to use it for an aperitif. .. the 99% skim sirloin...something like a tartar steak ... would be,,
Nice..
No (po)tattos tho with the combo..

but will try the goods with the tortilla chips. love'em too!!:ok:

V2-OMG!
30th Apr 2009, 02:16
To prevent all the yucky beef fat from saturating the bottom two inches of your loaf, do this:

Buy an aluminum loaf pan and punch little holes on the bottom and sides with a nail or skewer. Place on a wire cooling rack placed on a larger pan.
Voila! All the fat will drip into the larger pan. Your loaf will be leaner, healthier, and tastier!

My favourite recipe is the brown-sugar meatloaf from "The Bridges of Madison County" cookbook. Damn....that movie always makes me cry.
"This kind of certainty comes but once in a lifetime. " :{

http://cookbookjunkie.*************/2005/10/and-oscar-goes-to.html

Have fun at the bash proonies!

Rollingthunder
30th Apr 2009, 02:18
If no eggs, why are they mentioned under "Method"?

Nicely caught. I shall have to talk to the staff.

jet_noseover
30th Apr 2009, 02:28
eliptic..I never put garlic into meatloaf before...but I trust you..

Off it went...3 cloves..big ones..(smashed/grinded)

I am mixin' the goods now. If it taste like shy.e...it's your fault. :)

V2 that calls on god...I love thy idea with the alluminum pan.:ok:
but I can never cook with sweet thingies.. sugary thing are ...well... not to my liking..even fruits be kinda, no go..I'll take rubarb tho..:)

Is rhubarb fruit or a veggy?

What does the honour-able Tonn-the sailor say?

RJM
30th Apr 2009, 02:52
Cook is presently away, and this morning I was forced, again, to prepare my own breakfast. And wash the dishes - life's hell, but I'm up to it.

Anyway...

Not wanting to complicate the dishwashing, I used a small electric teflon-coated skillet.

Cook has responsibility for keeping up provisions too, so the cupboard is fairly bare at this stage.

So, to business.

Turn the skillet on to about 80% of full power.

Crack four eggs into the skillet. Whoosh them around with an egg slice until a uniform yellow is obtained.

Now, the magic bit, discovered by me due to limited choice of additives:

Take the piece of Parmesan cheese from the back of the refrigerator and cut four or five thin (2mm) slices from it. Lay the slices onto the now bubbling egg mixture.

Then, visit the herb garden. Cook maintains a small herb garden, in which parsley is abundant, but boring, so I broke off some tiny branches of thyme. I know what it is from a previous interview about herbs with Cook.

I had on me a snap blade paper cutter which I used to cut the thyme up on the breadboard.

Sprinkle the thyme pieces over the now nearly cooked egg mix, and fold it over while it is still a bit sloppy on top (not my idea - I got the hint from a newspaper).

Retrieve the plate from under the hot tap (wasteful of energy, but an allowable luxury for the lone chef. An alternative, if the plate fits, is to use the plate upside down as a lid for the frying pan for a few minutes and heat it up that way, but be careful as it heats up quickly).

Pick up folded-over omelet with egg slice and transfer to plate.

Eat with a fork.

Total dishes - fork, plate, egg slice and wipe skillet.

Ingredients - 4 eggs, Parmesan cheese and thyme

Time start to plate - about 4 minutes if process is properly coordinated

Cost - low (thyme free!)

I mention this dish because of the interesting combined taste of the thyme and the Parmesan cheese.

I'll certainly tell Cook about it on her much anticipated return. I should mention that she doubles as a sleeping partner (as a matter of fact we went through a perfunctory ceremony a few years ago to make that official), and quite apart from anything else she keeps the bed warm these cold nights. I have to admit that on very chilly nights I generally find something to keep me up for a while after 'Cook' has gone to bed. That way I don't have to deal with cold sheets.

It's all about effective planning.

Next week: Short cuts with tea bags

jet_noseover
30th Apr 2009, 02:58
I hate you RJM...:}:}:):)

Yer stealing my meatloaf for yer omlet.. bastarewed...!!!

ok, have at it..

I am almost done here..still concidering on the salsa to put in there...

hey, put some chard in yer omlet..:ok:

RJM
30th Apr 2009, 03:01
I mean no disrespect to your meatloaf, noseover. In fact I've printed it out and will see if cook can produce it on her return.

What is 'chard'? Not 'chard'onnay, surely? :uhoh:

jet_noseover
30th Apr 2009, 03:05
good stuff is chard:

WHFoods: Swiss chard (http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=16)

so is the chard-onnay...

Ich bin addicted to both..:ok: :)

Ozzy
30th Apr 2009, 03:15
a couple a points here. good on using the non stick skillet, just wipe it with kitchen towel after wards and no need to wash it. second, and it uses another utensil, whisk yer eggs in a bowl, then add salt and pepper and a wee drappie of water, trust me the result will be perfect.

Ozzy

tinpis
30th Apr 2009, 03:16
Chard= Silver Beet

Try a lil splash of water when yer beat the eggs.
Likes anchovies ........

RJM
30th Apr 2009, 03:22
Thanks Ozzy and tinpis. I'll try adding a bit of water, but into the skillet. Not keen to increase the dishwashing task by a third.

Bear in mind too, I'm not after a Phd in cookery, just trying to get by until the help's back. :cool:

Ozzy
30th Apr 2009, 03:23
Ha, alright, call out for pizza then ye big jessie:}

RJM
30th Apr 2009, 03:26
I'll have to when I run out of eggs :(

tinpis
30th Apr 2009, 03:34
Nice chilled bottle of fizz
and...
Eggs Benedict Recipe - Taste.com.au (http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/11187/eggs+benedict)

jet_noseover
30th Apr 2009, 03:38
Please bring Con-pilot on..........that will teach ya'll

Um... lifting...
30th Apr 2009, 04:44
Best scrambled eggs on the planet (in my view) are served at Bills... Sydney. Yes, tinnie... the best (and that ain't the jetlag talking...). I think it's the half-cup of cream per 3 eggs, gently pushing them about for not too long and serving the lot atop thickly-sliced, buttered wholemeal toast what does it... that and a cup of coffee... none o' yer insipid English tea... a drink for old women that is...

Atlas Shrugged
30th Apr 2009, 05:15
YouTube - egg song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNndX9qua1o)

Matari
30th Apr 2009, 05:39
DC:

Lately, I've been preferring a "Mexican" variant (no idea if anyone south of the border has ever really tried this, though)What you are describing is basically "Chiles Rellenos", which is spicy meatloaf (or anything else handy), stuffed and cooked in large, preferably poblano, peppers. Try it next time...sabrosos! http://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/thumbs.gif

kiwi chick
30th Apr 2009, 05:48
Jetsy, garlic definitely :ok: :ok:

I swear by it in meatloaf, I also usually add just a touch of curry powder as well.

Enjoy, I am sure it will be fabulous!! :ok:

kiwi chick
30th Apr 2009, 06:02
I'll have to when I run out of eggs

Hahahaha!! :D :D Perfect! Spoken like a true (temporary) batchelor.

DC Meatloaf
30th Apr 2009, 06:23
Hi Matari,

I've had lots of chili relleno (I grew up in LA) but I've never had any that resembled the meatloaf I described above. :)

I've had them with Anaheim peppers, Poblanos, beer-battered, buttermilk-battered, stuffed with cheese, stuffed with chicken, but I don't think I've ever had them stuffed with the dense brick of vaguely mexican meatloaf I described above. Probably worth a shot, though. :ok:

Good mexican food is one of the things I miss most about living in LA. In 10+ years out here in DC, we've managed to find a couple of decent places, but there's nowhere near the variety and accessibility of really good, Baja-style (none of this Tex-Mex) mexican food that we took for granted in LA. Sigh.

david1300
30th Apr 2009, 07:06
Quote: "Meatloaf, help"

Maybe this should have been posted in a Rock and Roll forum, I doubt he reads PPrune :ok:

But it's OK, I let him know and he should be along like a Bat Out of Hell any minute. But I guess in JetBlast Everything is Permitted, even though I sometimes Read 'em and Weep; but good Meatloaf (and maybe Nocturnal Pleasure resulting in 45 Seconds of Ecstasy) is probably More Than You Deserve, but again, Two out of Three Ain't Bad.

RJM
30th Apr 2009, 09:59
Well I could get another cook in, but she might not blend well with the original when she turns up. :ouch:

TURIN
30th Apr 2009, 10:39

Drop the egg slice.

Just wiz the eggs (and S & P, water etc) around the pan with the fork. Lift the edges and let the egg run under. Just before the whole thing sets grab the pan handle (like you would an aircraft door handle IE with fingers and thumb on top) and slide/tip the whole lot on your plate flipping the end over to produce the perfect finish. :ok:

(Apologies for the aviation reference on JB) :ouch:

RJM
30th Apr 2009, 10:53
Thank you, TURIN. You're obviously a deep thinker.

I've run a successful simulation of your proposal and will introduce the procedure tomorrow morning.

I'll apply the time saved to extend my sleeping in, and will consider putting the egg slice on eBay. :p

PS: Before you suggest it, I have considered getting rid of the plate, but the frypan is a) pretty hot and b) eating out of it robs the meal of its culinary chic.

MagnusP
30th Apr 2009, 11:29
Duck eggs, mushrooms, Hooters Hot Sauce.

Only down side is that you really need a bowl to get the eggs to mix properly.

Mr Grimsdale
30th Apr 2009, 12:00
Duck eggs, mushrooms, Hooters Hot Sauce.

Are you sure you didn't miss out a comma between the hooters and the hot sauce? Sounds like a definite improvement in my humble opinion.:}

cockney steve
30th Apr 2009, 12:04
[QUOTE][Only down side is that you really need a bowl to get the eggs to mix properly./QUOTE]
stuck-up insular things, they duckeggs, dunno why, as they don't have a brain-cell between them. :}

Chesty Morgan
30th Apr 2009, 12:22

A fork?! And a plate?!:=

Simply fold in half twice so you have a nice wedge, pick up and eat. Any leakage simply falls on to the floor, which is what it's for.

No need for a fork or a plate. Lick egg slice clean, same for the skillet obviously when it's cooled.

Glamgirl
30th Apr 2009, 12:55
You could use a plastic fork for stirring and then eating (just rinse under tap in between to lower your salmonella content). These come free from various establishments, and won't scratch the teflon pan (avoiding any disiplinary action on Cook's return)

Use a paper plate. Straight into (recycling) bin when finished

Gg

RJM
30th Apr 2009, 13:42
Ignoring for a moment the avant-garde practices of a dining minimilist like Chesty (to whom more power), I have to say, Glamgirl, that I'm disappointed at the slightly flippant, even sarcastic tone of your response in this serious matter (my breakfast).

Moreover, this talk of plastic cutlery, taken home from cheap eateries no less, demeans not only the high standards of JB, and of our good selves GG, but the very concept of haute cuisine. :=

As to the licking of utensils, perhaps that should remain a 'post secret', along with the question of domestic discipline in the M household... :ooh:

eliptic
1st May 2009, 10:16
Jetsy

If it taste like shy.e...it's your fault.

So? how was the dinner?

Foss
1st May 2009, 11:40
DC
230kg of meat, thats two small children, minced.

Apart from that problem, I put in chillies, tabasco and Brown Sauce.

MagnusP
1st May 2009, 11:53
Same as everyone else's basic recipe, but I add ground cumin.

And rhubarb is a vegetable.

DC Meatloaf
1st May 2009, 17:11
Thanks, Foss. Never did get the hang of the metric system. Or, er, stones.

david1300
2nd May 2009, 04:41
@foss and DCN: "...230kg of meat, thats two small children, minced."

230kg = 506 lbs = 7 to 8 smallish children, or 2.875 average adults. Glad you are not calculating TOW with 'small children' on board.

Lon More
2nd May 2009, 09:41
Any leakage simply falls on to the floor, which is what it's for.

Keep your dogs hungry and thirsty. Throw a couple of glasses of water on the floor as well. Kitchen floor licked clean

in medieval banquets the plates were made of bread IIRC. Sops up the gravy, and if you use your Swiss army knife attatchments, zero washing up.

RJM
2nd May 2009, 10:12
Those were the days, Lonmore.

Storminnorm
2nd May 2009, 15:36
Bread plates? Known as "Trenchers", Hence expression "Trenchermen,"
or chaps that enjoyed their food so much that they even ate the "Trencher".

Rollingthunder
3rd May 2009, 18:11
Minced lamb, panchetta (can't forget to not mention the bacon), leeks, potatoes, onions, garlic, butter, olive oil, chicken stock, various herbs, assiago cheese, garden tomatoes, good crusty bread.

Any master chefs out there?

Oops, got merged New general category?

Foss
3rd May 2009, 18:51
I'll admit to it just once.
Veggie (sort of) snack I make a bucket of.

Two cups of basmati rice, boil, do not walk away and forget it.
Start slicing a couple of onions, fine as you like.
Slice a couple of fresh chillies.
Treat onions and chillies as pic'n'mix while you scrabble eggs, 2 or 3.
Make a skinny omelette, check rice, cut omelette into little bits.
You can be chefy and roll the omelette up and make ribbons, if you've banged your head.
Get frozen sweetcorn and peas in a mug, add boiling water.
Strain these using your fingers, see banged head.
(non veggie bit - you're making bacon too and looking at ham)
Slice spring onions, loads of them.
Rescue the rice because you've been watching TV and doing all the above.

Rice, onions, chillies, fried egg, sweetcorn, peas, bacon, ham, combine all in a wok stick in some peanut butter, spring onions at the end.

If you're on the ball, make sweet and sour sauce, which is pretty much vinegar, sugar and ketchup.
1/3 cup white or rice vinegar
4 tablespoons brown sugar (or a splash of coke as well)
1 tablespoon ketchup
more tabasco
1 teaspoon soy sauce (I use more)
2 teaspoons cornstarch mixed with 4 teaspoons water
(I don't usually bother with the cornstarch)

Sweet and sour ham fried rice - love it.

Juud
3rd May 2009, 19:18
Irish Nasi Goreng? :confused:

http://ikadici.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/nasgor.jpg

Rollingthunder
3rd May 2009, 19:27
I count twelve peas. Those who only got eleven missed the one in the upper left.

Isn't Nasi a bad word?

jet_noseover
3rd May 2009, 19:48
eliptic,

The meatloaf turned just fabulous. Thank you!
Yes, always better the next day.
I used fresh minced garlic (I love garlic, just never put it in my meatloaf before), thanks Kiwi Chick.:ok:...and a splash of salsa.

Also, prior to baking the loaf, I boiled eggs (hard) and burried them inside the batter. Great visual effect when you cut it/present it. :)
The goods were served with mushroom gravy, mashed potatoes and green peas. All enjoyed. Best complement for the chef is when the guests ask for seconds and leave their plates licked clean. Mission accomplished!

Foss, maaan...you sure are after my heart. I put tabasco, hot sauces on just about anything. Including apples.:ugh:
Often have chillies, hot gardinera as side dish.

Judd,
The dish you posted looks a bit like what here might be called a risotto

Foss
3rd May 2009, 21:16
Aye Juud that's pretty much it. How'd you get in my house? Make a load of it, then every sinner comes in the house eats it. Bowl here, bowl there, next thing you are making another batch.

I put tabasco, hot sauces on just about anything. Including apples.
Often have chillies, hot gardinera as side dish.
Fraid so JS, I put chillies in everything.
But if you mention them, this will drift into yet another chilli sauce thread.

Rollingthunder
3rd May 2009, 21:30
this will drift into yet another chilli sauce thread.

No, just the Food Thread

Rollingthunder
3rd May 2009, 21:33
Hmm.... Nigella on now on the Food Thread ummm...TV Channel

Nice boobs, nice waist, poor legs.

Good food tho'

Rossian
3rd May 2009, 21:39
Yes, RT, but as Henry the eighth said of one of his wives, "an arse to build a Kingdom on". Allegedly
The Ancient Mariner

jet_noseover
3rd May 2009, 21:46
Hey RT, do you like tartar steak?
I was requested to make it for apetizer tonight. Again!:ok:

Recently served:

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j183/jetmarg/allsavedpics/Florida-jan09-002.jpg

Have ground sirloin, raw egg yolk, chopped onion, paprika, salt, pepper, maggi, chopped pickle, some horseradish, olive oil...what else?

Rollingthunder
3rd May 2009, 21:56
http://www.whatgeekseat.com/wordpress/pictures/steak_tartar.jpg

Anthony Bourdain's Steak Tartare
Yield: 6

Recipe Courtesy Anthony Bourdain, Anthony Bourdain's Les Halles Cookbook

"Les Halles, the restaurant, was pretty much created to serve this dish. The key to a successful steak tartare is fresh beef, freshly hand-chopped at the very last minute and mixed tableside. A home meat grinder with a fairly wide mesh blade is nice to have, but you can and should use a very sharp knife and simply chop and chop and chop until fine. The texture will be superior. And do not dare use a food processor on this dish - you?ll utterly destroy it."
Ingredients:
Steak Tartare
2 egg yolks
2 tbsp Dijon mustard (28 g)
4 anchovy filets, finely chopped
2 tsp ketchup (10 g)
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce (5 g)
Tabasco sauce, to taste
Freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup salad (i.e., corn or soy) oil (56 ml)
1 oz Cognac (28 ml)
1 small onion, freshly and finely chopped
2 oz capers, rinsed (56 g)
2 oz cornichons, finely chopped (56 g)
4 sprigs of flat parsley, finely chopped
1 1/4 lb. fresh sirloin, finely chopped (560 g)
French fries, optional
4 slices fine quality white bread, toasted, quartered, for toast points

Directions:
Steak Tartare
Place the egg yolks in a large stainless-steel bowl and add the mustard and anchovies. Mix well, then add the ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, Tabasco, and pepper and mix well again. Slowly whisk in the oil, then add the Cognac and mix again. Fold in the onion, capers, cornichons, and parsley.
Add the chopped meat to the bowl and mix well using a spoon or your hands. Divide the meat evenly among the six chilled dinner plates and, using a ring mold or spatula, form it into disks on the plates. Serve immediately with French fries and toasted bread points.

Foss
3rd May 2009, 22:46
Anthony Bourdain is a headcase. I've got his books. Mental knife wielding nutter, but very funny with it. In a dangerous sort of way.

But, not keen on tartare. :yuk:

Crayon
16th Sep 2009, 01:49
Ok, RT..Do not get too excited but I made home made spaghetti sauce.

Instead of your typical ground sirloin I chopped polish sausage (the real/smoked stuff). Sauteed it, got rid of the fat, added fresh chopped onion, mushrooms, carrots, bell peppers (red/green/orange and yellow), plenty of garlic and of course home grown tomatoes (skinned). Fresh chard and cale - chopped - at the end of the simmering with lots of black pepper, lemon juice (squeezed lemon) and sea salt. Maggi seasoning too.

Served over 100% wheat pasta with parmasian cheese and garlic/home baked bread. Italian salad with dijon mustard dressing (home made too).

Delish! All loved it but I wonder how the rest of you make it if from scratch?

Additional ingridients?