PDA

View Full Version : CAW Canberras

Tim McLelland
29th Apr 2009, 23:20
I spotted a fairly poor quality snapshot of a Canberra B2 from the CAW Manby today. It appears to be painted overall black with dayglow trim.

Anybody out there know if any other pictures exist of this aircraft? Looked fascinating!

T-21
1st May 2009, 18:28
It was WP515 and was the last ? in the old grey/black Bomber Command colours. Would like to see any photo's of CAW Canberras as my father flew them at Strubby from 1963-66.

Brewster Buffalo
1st May 2009, 19:39
WP 514 and 515 two replacements B2s for WD 939 and WD 983 who were diverted off contract..

Web suggests cockpit of 515 still in existence but conflicting on where it is...

Tim McLelland
2nd May 2009, 21:59
Yep, the photographer claims that it's WP515 - it's impossible to tell from the anngle that the photo's taken whether it's overall black (as the phtoographer says) or if the upper surfaces are actually grey.

Photo is of three aircraft overflying Waddington in 1963 - picture by Martin Derry in this month's Model Aircraft Monthly (other two are in standard silver/dayglow colours).

I'd definitely be interested to know more if anyone spots a picture of the aircraft in this paint scheme - very unusual!