PDA

View Full Version : It's Official - The UK Has Gone Insane

notmyC150v2
29th Apr 2009, 23:27
Saw this today in the Courier Mail. Has the UK really gone this crazy?

Top Gear may have to hire female, ethnic presenters

April 30, 2009 12:00am
POPULAR boy-racer TV show Top Gear may be forced to hire new presenters as part of a government push to make the show more gender and ethnically balanced.

This week the Equality Bill was introduced into Britain which encourages employers to take "positive action" to widen diversity in the public sector workforce.

Top Gear, along with a number of shows funded by the BBC, now fall under the Bill.

Is Top Gear too blokey? Have your sayThere has been pressure on the boys who review their mechanical toys to change, with a leading academic earlier this month saying that the BBC should employ more women to help make shows such as Top Gear "female-friendly", reports the Daily Mail.

Dr Louise Livesey, tutor in sociology and women's studies at Oxford, accused Top Gear of 'entrenched, institutional sexism'.

As well as being hosted by Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond and James May, the car show has a 'boys' club' production team and fewer female than male guests, it was claimed.

But Top Gear executive producer Andy Wilman claimed it was 'utter drivel' to suggest that the show excluded women, saying: "If the show is allegedly female-unfriendly, why is almost half the audience female?

"Secondly, if we are to have a female presenter just to represent the sexes, then by that logic Loose Women needs a bloke in the line-up pretty sharpish.

"I actually believe these sorts of mandates are patronising to women viewers, because they assume that women can't enjoy a show's presenters on merit, but can only appreciate a program if spoken to by one of their own sex."

Lancelot37
29th Apr 2009, 23:46
This country has gone daft and you can blame the Labour Government. They sit and think of such things instead of running the country. How pathetic.

The P.C brigade want shooting.

There will be a dictate to say that there must be a man to present the programme "Women's Hour" next.

Chesty Morgan
29th Apr 2009, 23:56
And to further highlight the idiocy there is a minister for women and equality. Where's the minister for men and equality?

Seems rather sexist to me. And a total waste of time.

What's wrong with hiring people for their ability and ignoring the fact that they may or may not have boobs and or testicles that may or may not be a colour other than white?

Whirlygig
30th Apr 2009, 00:02
But Top Gear executive producer Andy Wilman claimed it was 'utter drivel' to suggest that the show excluded women, saying: "If the show is allegedly female-unfriendly, why is almost half the audience female?
That'll be because the ticket office vet the applicants to ensure an equal number. A male friend of mine had two tickets booked once and was told when booking that the other ticket was meant for a woman so they could show audience equality.

Cheers

Whirls

tony draper
30th Apr 2009, 00:06
That German bird who featured in a couple of episode was alright,although she's probably the wrong colour.:rolleyes:

Overdrive
30th Apr 2009, 01:08
That German bird who featured in a couple of episode was alright,although she's probably the wrong colour.:rolleyes:

...and ate meat, and wasn't a dyke.

antic81
30th Apr 2009, 01:12
And was German...:}

Overdrive
30th Apr 2009, 01:23
And didn't weave baskets from sustainable renewable stock...

brickhistory
30th Apr 2009, 01:24
The P.C brigade want shooting.

Sorry, you lot gave that right away.

Voluntarily.

So who're really the insane ones?

See you in the "Guns" thread...

The PM
30th Apr 2009, 02:03
On the off chance that anyone associated with Top Gear reads proon, here is my take on how to deal with this situation.

Invite the good Dr Louise Livesey on as the weekly guest on the "Star in a reasonably priced car" segment, but instead of Clarkson doing the interview, have Keely Hazel or some other impossibly large breasted page 3 type on as a guest presenter.I'd watch........... :ok:

Captain Sand Dune
30th Apr 2009, 03:09
Which yet again proves that one is only sexist if one's a bloke, and one is only racist if one's a white caucasian.

Ozzy
30th Apr 2009, 03:37
This week the Equality Bill was introduced into Britain which encourages employers to take "positive action" to widen diversity in the public sector workforce.

Please tell me this is a joke. Please, please, please, oh God, tell me this is not actual policy.

People can do the job or they cannot, end of story. fcuk racism, sexism, etc no one should be hired, employed etc based on ethnicity.

Ozzy

PS "Which yet again proves that one is only sexist if one's a bloke, and one is only racist if one's a white caucasian." Aye right

RJM
30th Apr 2009, 03:48
It's Official - The UK Has Gone Insane

We knew that when it gave up the American colonies!

Ozzy
30th Apr 2009, 03:56
We knew that when it gave up the American colonies!

I am with you RJM let's order a pizza!!

sitigeltfel
30th Apr 2009, 06:44
I reckon James May is a bit girly.

Oh, and what about the ITV chat show "Loose Women"? If they want an example of overt sexism, look no further.

This idiocy confirms the need for a massive cull of those on the public payroll, starting with the muppets who come up with this drivel.

Asper
30th Apr 2009, 07:20
My pet chicken applied for the job, and was turned down because she only layed white eggs. Just because she is a plumber doesn't mean she should be treated like this.

I am not happy, and will sue anyone.

Sprogget
30th Apr 2009, 07:36
The utter drivel is the article. Let's look at the 'facts'.

1) It's the Daily Mail. Therefore almost certainly a load of flowering bo****ks.
2) A Bill has become law. Apparently.
3) Some talkig head academic is wheeled out to accuse a show of sexism
4) Journo therefore states the show may be required...a connection is made.
5) Specualtion on the part of the journo as to what the show may have to do
6) Exasperated producer is forced to defend his show against this non story.
7) The outrage train pulls into the station, half or dozen or so Ppruners climb aboard.

To be honest, if you read & believe the Daily Mail, you probably deserve your high blood pressure. Just because it's not plastered in tits, doesn't make it any less of a comic than the Sun.

Romeo Oscar Golf
30th Apr 2009, 07:47
Now don't get your knickers in a twist boys. First of all the Courier Mail is a "well known and trusted quality newspaper" in Brisbane QLD. My son's a policeman there and confirms the papers "honesty and political neutrality"-:rolleyes:(they're currently running a strong anti police campaign). Have a look at their web page and make your own judgment, a cross between the Sun and the Daily Mail perhaps.
The aims of the Equality Bill are not unreasonable....
Summary of the Bill

Make provision to require Ministers of the Crown and others when making strategic decisions about the exercise of their functions to have regard to the desirability of reducing socio-economic inequalities; to reform and harmonise equality law and restate the greater part of the enactments relating to discrimination and harassment related to certain personal characteristics; to enable certain employers to be required to publish information about the differences in pay between male and female employees; to prohibit victimisation in certain circumstances; to require the exercise of certain functions to be with regard to the need to eliminate discrimination and other prohibited conduct; to enable duties to be imposed in relation to the exercise of public procurement functions; to increase equality of opportunity; and for connected purposes

Any tampering with the editorial rights and judgments of programme makers will be unaffected by this Bill assuming that the programmes/shows are not outrageously offensive. Might hurt Ross or Brand but will not affect Top Gear or Loose Women.
My opinion only.:)

30th Apr 2009, 09:45
The aims of the Equality Bill are not unreasonable....

It won't be the bill that is the problem, but it's how the people actually enforcing the bill go about doing it that will matter.

The human rights act isn't unreasonable on paper, but when it can be used to stop foreign nations who are convicted sex offenders and murderers from being deported, there is something wrong, and I can see the equality bill being used the same way.

A serial sex offender from Sierra Leone has been allowed to stay in Britain after a judge ruled that deporting him would breach his human rights

Justice secretary Jack Straw has promised to "robustly" challenge the ruling not to deport the killer of head teacher Phillip Lawrence.
He has attempted to dispel the claim that the Human Rights Act prohibits the government from deporting Learco Chindamo, saying the fault lies with EU law.

RJM
30th Apr 2009, 09:49
Aaarrgh!

There are only one or two words in that 'summary of the Bill' with less than three syllables - guaranteed to set off any bullsh*t detector!

Mr Grimsdale
30th Apr 2009, 10:17

She could always get made up like the Black and White Minstrels.:}

hightower1986
30th Apr 2009, 11:46
Just the change the subject slightly, I love the fact Clarkson wants to put Snipers on bridges above motorways to take out the slow drivers! Genius!
Oh and if females didnt want to watch it then turn over or dont watch it!
But im sure most women like them all in my family fnd the show hilarious and completely un offensive to women in anyway shape or form! But they stilll cant drive! :}

Storminnorm
30th Apr 2009, 11:58
How the FACK could they have a female presenter on Top Gear?
EVERYONE knows that, on occasion, a car MAY have to be
REVERSED!!!!
Women are totally USELESS at reversing cars!!!
How embarrassing would that be, when the woman had to get out
of the car for one of the male presenters to carry out a reversing
manoeuver???

Len Ganley
30th Apr 2009, 12:04
The charming Vicky Butler-Henderson could be the perfect answer.
Fit bird that can drive.

Sprogget
30th Apr 2009, 12:06
Fat is spelt with an 'a'.

oldshuck
30th Apr 2009, 12:11
May I suggest Kate Humble she seems to be in everything else these days

Storminnorm
30th Apr 2009, 12:12
NEVER seen her REVERSE though have we???
All right going forwards, BUT Reversing???

Naaaahhhhhhh!!!

Either of 'em!!!

angels
30th Apr 2009, 12:38
Totally agree about the German Doris.

Not much of a driver though, she only took a Trannie round the Nurburgring (sp) in 10 minutes 9 seconds.....:}

gibbs
30th Apr 2009, 12:57
Ok, so a new presenter has to be female and ethnic. Two spring to mind immediately Konnie Huq and Angelica Bell (IMHO):ooh:

Sprogget
30th Apr 2009, 13:05
I know someone who's had a drive on Konnie Huq...

SMT Member
30th Apr 2009, 13:07
One has devised a cunning plan!

Suggest Keira Knightly is dipped gently in (sustainably produced, carbon neutral) chocolate and placed on the bonnet of the Toyota HiLux. She would also come in handy at the various Top Gear challenges, particularly those in warmer climates where a bikini (or less) would be the attire of choice for any bonny lass.

There you go, ethnic and gender diversity sorted.

Captain Stable
30th Apr 2009, 13:19
Ooooh Konnie Huq.... :\ :ok:

Darn it - no cold shower available.

:ooh:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xXEss4cDElg&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xXEss4cDElg&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Blacksheep
30th Apr 2009, 14:05
Was wandering through the Palace of Westminster when I spotted a scarf in a glass cabinet. This scarf...

http://www.hastingspress.co.uk/history/pics/scarf.jpg

Then there's this statue of Falkland. With a repair to his broken sword...

http://lifepeeragesact.parliament.uk/image.php?FileID=466312285.jpg

Don't worry ladies, you're nearly there. :)

Worrals in the wilds
30th Apr 2009, 14:11
If they think Top Gear's too blokey it's probably lucky they don't broadcast The Footy Show (Rugby League edition) in the UK :hmm:

Do the new guidelines apply to strip shows? Could be alarming...

Agree with Romeo Oscar Golf on the quality of the Courier Mail, except the Daily Mail is probably a better paper :eek:. Only worth buying for the telly guide.

er340790
30th Apr 2009, 14:31
I don't think Top Gear's sexist.

And anyway, women shouldn't worry their pretty little heads about it.

P.S. If that Misha Husein off BBC World fancies a go, I hereby volunteer to interview her.

Romeo Oscar Golf
30th Apr 2009, 14:33
It won't be the bill that is the problem, but it's how the people actually enforcing the bill go about doing it that will matter.

Agreed.

Having reread my post I think it belongs with the "keep fun off the internet" brigade. The rest of the posts and some of the suggestions so far make much better reading. Apologies for taking Jet Blast seriously.
:ok:

EpsilonVaz
30th Apr 2009, 15:13
Time to start voting for who will be the new male presenter on Loose Women.

Captain Stable
30th Apr 2009, 15:17
That's simple - Boy George :}

Romeo Oscar Golf
30th Apr 2009, 15:24
Russell Brand ? :E

Storminnorm
30th Apr 2009, 15:33
Whose that Angus character that presents one of the lunchtime auction
yer junk progs.???
He's a big tart!!! He'll do.

Binoculars
30th Apr 2009, 15:59
Dr Louise Livets? A Ph.D in Sociology? That says all that needs to be said. Why does anybody take any notice? Dr Louise would never have earned an honest dollar in her useless life.

It's about time academia woke up to what the general population has known for decades, if not actually setting it down in so many words.

Sociology is one big wankfest, and a disgrace to those in academia who produce high standard research which may prove useful to society.

silverhawk
30th Apr 2009, 16:02
How far down can we go?

I'm embaressed to be British. Luckily I can call myself Scottish when it suits.

Mr Grimsdale
30th Apr 2009, 16:04
Whose that Angus character that presents one of the lunchtime auction
yer junk progs.???
He's a big tart!!! He'll do.

Erm... sounds like all daytime TV presenters.
Hmm... sounds like all TV presenters.

hellsbrink
30th Apr 2009, 16:34
The arrisholes that dreamt that up tend to forget how many wummin are involved in the production and research staff.

Idiots

Storminnorm
30th Apr 2009, 16:39
Just how many Idiots do they employ then?
Are any of THEM women?

I suppose SOME must be. Should never have given them the vote!!!

GPMG
30th Apr 2009, 16:45
Storm in a tea cup.

You guys are forgetting that the term 'PC'. And Top Gear cannot be used in the same sentance. I tried it just now and the rules of written English do not allow it.

I was typing away and felt a tap on my shoulder (damn plumbers) and when I looked around and then back at the screen, the sentance had been changed.

A show that makes jokes about truck murderers, wizards sleeves and Pork Swords would implode if it had anything girly forced upon it.

N.B Richard Hammond nearly upset the applecart with his new hair do but then offoerd to punch anyone bigger than him if they took the mickey, thus the bloke balance was restored.

chopper2004
30th Apr 2009, 16:51
If push comes to shove, may I suggest the following countermeasures

1) Have female presenters preferably model like presenters in bikinis or lingerie to complement the 3 musketeers!!

2) If race is a an issue, find the younger version of Naomi Campbell or Tyrese banks or Thandie Newton :cool::ok::D

3) question of sexuality then have Lindsey Lohan to present :cool::ok::D

Storminnorm
30th Apr 2009, 17:13
That's sorted that then Chopper! NEXT!!!

hellsbrink
30th Apr 2009, 18:40
Of course, what these muppets suggesting that TG needs a female presenter forget is the small matter of her being "eye candy", and would therefore only be there to attract more male viewers. Ain't as if they would hire Claire Short, is it.

Hmmm, that's a point, why don't they complain about the eye candy that gets hired to read the news/weather instead of it being some old mutt doing that job?

PC idiots, the lot of them

Wingswinger
30th Apr 2009, 21:47
The UK has not gone insane as it is an abstract political concept and as such does not possess any mental capacity, sane or otherwise.

Some of the population of the UK may be insane; we are a nation well-known for having a fair sprinkling of eccentrics amongst us and it is a fine line which separates eccentricity from genuine insanity.

That many of our politicians, local and national, are insane is beyond doubt. :ugh: