PDA

View Full Version : CAA UK licence into French Licence - Possible ?

FLT86
29th Apr 2009, 18:42
Hi guys,

I'd like to my training in USA in an JAA approved school.
You have to do everything in USA besides the CPL-IR and MCC that you do in UK.
The ATPL Theory has to be done in USA but with CATS (so JAA).
So therefore, you will get a CAA UK Licence.

Anyone knows if the French CAA will accept, convert and valid the UK CAA Licence into French one ?

It is very important for my decision.

Thank you very much.

BigGrecian
29th Apr 2009, 20:53
You do know that you can do your JAA CPL and part of your JAA IR training in the USA?
It doesn't have to be done in Europe. Skymates (Which it looks like you are talking about don't do it in USA though)

Have you read JAR FCL 1? It will tell you the answer there!
Joint Aviation Authorities (http://www.jaa.nl) - JAR–FCL 1.065

d) For administrative convenience, e.g. revalidation, the licence holder may subsequently transfer a licence issued by the State of licence
issue to another JAA Member State, provided that employment or normal residency is established in that State (see JAR–FCL 1.070). That State would
thereafter become the State of licence issue and would assume the responsibility for licence issue referred to in (a) above.
(e) An applicant shall hold only one JAR– FCL licence (aeroplane) and only one medical certificate at any time.
[Amdt.1, 01.06.00; Amdt.2, 01.08.02; Amdt.3, 01.07.03] JAR–FCL 1.070 Normal residency
Normal residency means the place where a person usually lives for at least 185 days in each calendar year because of personal and occupational ties or, in the case of a person with no occupational ties, because of personal ties
which show close links between that person and the place where she or he is living.

5 RINGS
29th Apr 2009, 21:08
Get your CAA issued licence, then have it validated by the French to fly a F- registered A/C, but do not transfer from CAA to DGAC...you'll regret it...

LH2
29th Apr 2009, 22:14
There is a guy here (France) who got his FAA PPL and is now doing his JAA conversion. As I understood, essentially he needs to do a skills test and a bit of paperwork. If I see him again tomorrow I'll ask him.

FLT86
30th Apr 2009, 08:24
Hello,

Yes BigGrecian, it is Skymates and I know about the CPL and IR but French CAA wants that we do it in Europe.Like this they told me.

5 RINGS, do you know if I can fly with my CAA UK Licence with French airplane ?
The French CAA told me that I have to wait one year before to do it...
Could you confirm me it ? Or I need to convert it in order to fly in France ?
I believe like you that to have CAA UK Licence it is better than French and so on.
Otherwise, I will take a Greek one and convert it into French or English.

LH2, if you can let me know about your friend with the same problem, it will be so helpful !

Thank you guys!

LH2
30th Apr 2009, 18:17
do you know if I can fly with my CAA UK Licence with French airplane ?

Yes you can.

The French CAA told me that I have to wait one year before to do it...

Ask them to quote the relevant bit of legislation where it says so. I for one I'm not aware of such a thing, although I admit I never looked specifically for it. OTOH, it is true that at least on paper they can be rather awkward sometimes so I wouldn't be too surprised if that was true.

The reason why I can affirm that you definitely can fly F-regs on a non-French JAA licence is simply because that's what I did since shortly after I got mine. Matter of fact, never even flew a G-reg until I did my CPL.

I haven't seen the guy in question today. I'll try to find out how he's going about it at the next opportunity.

FLT86
30th Apr 2009, 18:46
Hi !

Thank you !

So, one guy told me that the French CAA will valid my licence to fly with French A/C but the French CAA wrote me it :

"Vous pourrez travailler en France avec votre licence britannique qu'à l'unique condition que celle ci ait été validée conformément à la procédure jointe dans mon premier mail et un an, au moins, après cette validation, vous pourrez alors solliciter un transfert.".

It means that my licence has to be valid by them according to one document that they send me and they explain how to valid it and after one year that I did the validation of the licence, I can ask for a transfer from UK to FR.
But at this point, it is much more better to keep CAA UK licence and to fly with a valid licence in France if you have this opportunity.
Anyway, where there is a job, I will go there. Better to get hours and experience.

Thank you !!!
PS : Let me know when you can about your friend.