PDA

View Full Version : The next Step......

TheRich23
29th Apr 2009, 18:24
FI or IR??? Im right in the middle of my CPL and looking to my next step. Im considering taking the FI course and postponing my IR for 6,9 maybe 12 months in order for job prospects to improve. This way I can earn 'a little' and build my hours whilst making myself more appealing to future employers. Anyone able to offer some thought into whether this is a good idea? Or would it be best to get the IR 'out of the way' but at the same time financially crippling myself in a time of little employment!!

redsnail
29th Apr 2009, 18:43
It is 6 of one, half a dozen of the other.

Since you're in JAA/EASA land, keep an eye on the time line for the ATPL exams lapsing and finishing your IR.

So, the idea of doing a FI isn't a bad one, so long as there's a chance of some work at the end of it. If there is (and it's genuine work) then it will keep your hand in & begin to get some hours up. If you want to improve your chances of a job after wards, be the most diligent and conscientious student you can be.

If you're cash strapped &/or no real chance of gaining any hours post FI, then put every thing on hold for 9-15 or so months and then hit the IR (Assuming you have "time" in hand for your exams)

AlphaMale
29th Apr 2009, 18:44
Are there that many FI jobs around then?

You may put yourself in a position of having paid for an FI ticket, not finding a job and then putting yourself through an IR next year too. :bored:

TheRich23
29th Apr 2009, 19:19
I have a verbal agreement for a FI position (which is the most I can hope for). Also, having called a few Air Centers, there seems to be a reasonable demand. I only finished my ATPL's last month so have plenty of time to 'play' with. Just drawn by the idea of getting back into some work I think, however low paid, at least im flying... Thanks for the inputs, I think there are positives and negatives for both routes, just a case of weighing them up correctly...

AlphaMale
29th Apr 2009, 20:10
Good luck with the rest of your CPL and I hope the decision you do make works out for you :ok:.

FI before IR does make a lot of sense if you can get an FI job, and would be my ideal path.