View Full Version : Edinburgh's Runway problem

Big_Mooney
8th Jun 2001, 18:33
Can anyone actually explain why the big cheeses at Edinburgh Airport haven't ( after all the money spent on the main terminal)spent any money on building simple taxiways which would extend all the way to the end of the runway, so that a/c don't have to wait at the hold point until there's enough time to backtrack then turn around, and take off. In the summer time, departing aircraft line up on the taxi ways waiting for enough space to backtrack, ATC must be pulling their hair out. If these taxiways exsisted, a/c could ( If needed ) drive up to the top and depart quicker, saving fuel & saving time. All there is is grass there so even the guy who mows the grass will be pleased.. and all this could be done without disrupting the airport..Honest guv.

Max Angle
8th Jun 2001, 20:14
It's simple. BAA are more interested in building shops and cafes in the airport than putting money into anything that actually helps get a/c off the ground. EDI is a total joke for an airport that busy, they need full length taxiways now and a control tower that allows the ATC guys to see both ends of the runway.

I believe a little while ago the major airline customers got together and told BAA at EDI that they were now going to backtrack every departure and use full length for every landing rather than trying to make the turn-offs. Howls of protest from BAA about flow rate etc. Well build a proper taxiway was the response from the airlines!. The sooner the better.

PAXboy
9th Jun 2001, 03:25
I have been through EDI 13 times this year and departed from there on Friday 8th.

I have wondered not just about the limited taxiway access to the runway but the taxiways around the apron.

The parallel taxiway (where it runs between the main apron area and the main runway) bisects the main entry/access at the eastern end. So, machines waiting enter/depart the cargo and (what I call) turbo prop area, have to wait for a machine to land, so that the machines waiting for departure can clear the taxiway, so that they can THEN get in or out.

From a pax's observering point in the bright new terminal (that costs a fortune everytime we want to use one of the damm shops or buy a drink)it all looks barmy!

------------------
A window seat on the sunny side of the aircraft, please!