PDA

View Full Version : Where do I Return my ASIC IF:

PyroTek
29th Apr 2009, 14:49
Hey guys,
I have recently received my renewed ASIC from Aviation ID Australia. However, my current ASIC is a CASA one and expires tomorrow. Now, I would like to know, keeping in mind that AvIDA is the issuing body for CASA, will it be safe to use the handy little reply paid envelope I got with my new ASIC to return my CASA asic to Aviation ID?
Or must I shell out a whole $1.10 (Yes, Harsh economic times) and send my expiring ASIC to CASA?

Thanks
Pyro:ok:

Carambar
29th Apr 2009, 22:47
No need for ASICs at YCAB mate, unless you head off on a Nav to civilisation eg. YBAF :ok:

PyroTek
29th Apr 2009, 23:25
No **** carambar7. I'm on navs now anyway. If you came on MSN more often you'd know that!:ok:

I don't enjoy flaunting my ASIC unless I am required to. (I still don't really enjoy it)

Pyro

YPJT
29th Apr 2009, 23:30
Most ASICs have it printed on the back of the card that it must be returned to the Issuing Body upon expiry or cessation of need to have it. Yes it might cost $1.10 to send it back to CLARC but that is better than risking sending it to Aviation ID Aust who have absolutely no responsibility for it, risking that it gets lost by them, having CASA chase you for the old one, having to complete a stat dec blah blah blah.

PyroTek
29th Apr 2009, 23:44
This is true. Thanks ..

Jabawocky
30th Apr 2009, 00:15
CASA will want it back

Cut it into 2 or 3 pieces and post it. 55cents :ok:

nick2007
30th Apr 2009, 02:55
I sent mine (CASA issued) back to AvID Aust in February. To tell you the truth I didn't even realise that doing so could cause a problem, but I haven't been fined yet so it must be ok (...right?).

I didn't even think of cutting it up.

YPJT
30th Apr 2009, 03:27
Av ID are a good bunch and also now have the contract to process the CASA ASICs anyway so in this instance it's not such a big deal. The scenario I painted before would be absolute worse case.

slice
30th Apr 2009, 05:29
Never returned my CASA ASIC when it expired and it has not been missed! As if CASA have ever been that organized!!:}

DH 200'
30th Apr 2009, 07:31
As YPJT said, send it back to CLARC. I made the mistake of sending it to Av ID in the supplied envelope and have had to sign a stat dec today to keep CASA happy.

No Body
30th Apr 2009, 12:06
And keep the little envelope from Aviation ID Australia - you'll need it to send your new ASIC back two years from now...

tmpffisch
30th Apr 2009, 12:17
And keep the little envelope from Aviation ID Australia - you'll need it to send your new ASIC back two years from now...

Makes sense. First thing I thought of though was "I find it hard enough keeping receipts for long periods of time...." so consider killing two birds with one stone; keep your receipts in the envelope. One day when you can't find it, perhaps it got inadvertantly mailed. At least then you'd know where to look.

ciscodiscocisco
30th Apr 2009, 12:58
Theres no need for those * to have back your asic card i dont even have one dont like CASA much even do i work for them:mad:

Ultralights
30th Apr 2009, 23:25
save your money, a pair of scissors and a garbage can.

Lasiorhinus
30th Apr 2009, 23:45
Whoops... I didnt cut mine up when I sent the first one back to CASA - just popped it in an envelope with a 50 cent stamp and sent it on its merry way back to Canberra.

Oh well - theres probably a small child who's parent works for CASA who now has a collection of hundreds of expired ASICs they use to build card houses out of...

VH-XXX
1st May 2009, 01:32
I renewed mine through that mob in Merimbula and it pretty much got delivered on a white piece of paper. I don't recall mention of it needing to be returned. It's expired anyway, nobody is really going to care, but I guess someone with many hours on their hands might try and counterfeit one based on mine and steal an airliner.

inandout
18th May 2009, 05:56
Do we really need to send them back or have many not, and heard nothing back from them for not sending it back.

The Green Goblin
18th May 2009, 09:25
Never returned mine to CASA, never had a problem. In fact If CASA call me for it, I'll ask for my latest licence with my ICAO English proficiency results that I paid for in Jan and have never received :ok:

Jabawocky
19th May 2009, 00:03
AMAZING !!!!

Someone took some notice to some constructive comments, the CASA ASIC department now send you a reminder letter about 6 weeks out from expiry remindng you to renew.

Now if only you could apply online by declaring that you have not changed and neither has your photographic image changed noticeably in the last two years and they send you a new one! Instead you are not really renewing, you are reapplying!

So we are 50% the way there......how about the next 50% and many folk would be at least semi happy about the BS of an ASIC.

Civil Aviation Safety Authority - Aviation Security Identity Card (ASIC) application (http://www.casa.gov.au/asicrenewal)
Except you have to use MS IE as your browser :ugh:

Bell_Flyer
20th May 2009, 04:15
Jabawocky - are you insinuating that the CASA Board of Directors are so consistently dysfunctional and unable to rein in even the most egregious behaviour by their CEO and management with regards to streamlining ASIC? Are you, by your smirky “AMAZING” post trying to say that there is a disconnect between security of the realm and ASIC? Are you implying that Alfred E Neumann could do a better job? Kindly perish those thoughts at once, please!

Repeat after me – “Airports are safe, secure and monitored by CCTV (unless you are a Hells Angels bikie being bashed to death at Sydney Airport); ASIC is useful (I have not been hijacked even once whilst wearing mine at Birdsville, Fitzroy Crossing, Dubbo and so on); and really, if you are innocent, you have nothing to fear from security laws (unless your name is Haneef)”.

You can pray that ASIC would go away but I don’t think there is a god listening, otherwise mine would have arrived on time and not overlap by a month with the old one.