PDA

View Full Version : IR Stuff

helipeek
29th Apr 2009, 11:42
Has anyone got a view on the best text to read before starting an IR course, I'm plodding though RANT with mixed results.

Ed Thrust IV
29th Apr 2009, 11:54
Check your PMs

Whirlygig
29th Apr 2009, 12:13
This might be a useful topic for other people, so why constrain input to private messages?

Cheers

Whirls

helipeek
29th Apr 2009, 12:16
Sorry! I don't understand what that means!

Whirlygig
29th Apr 2009, 12:19
Helipeek, you asked a question which another poster replied by asking you to check your private messages i.e. that poster has replied to your question in such a manner that no-one else can see the answer, yet we all know you have a private message!

The point is, if there is information to share, it should be shared on the open forum if it's thought that other people might benefit!

If you're not sure what a PM is, look in the top right hand corner of the screen and you'll see the number of unread messages you have!

Cheers

Whirls

helipeek
29th Apr 2009, 12:21
I'll check, thank you.

L2driver
30th Apr 2009, 02:51
Check these links:

http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/aviation/instrument_flying_handbook/media/FAA-H-8083-15A-Chapters%201-4.pdf

http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/aviation/instrument_flying_handbook/media/FAA-H-8083-15A-Chapters%205-7.pdf

http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/aviation/instrument_flying_handbook/media/FAA-H-8083-15A-Chapters%208-11.pdf

The files are large, so right-click and select "Save link as..."

212man
30th Apr 2009, 04:29
I'm plodding though RANT with mixed results.

Bear in mind that there are two distinct areas to the IR training - the actual instrument flying, independant of any procedures or navigation, then the use of navaids for navigation and following procedures. RANT is purely for the latter and I would suggest is a very good tool for learning.

helipeek
5th May 2009, 15:36
thanks guys I'll bear all the info in mind whilst I acrry on RANTing.

R22 HEAVY
19th Jun 2009, 21:49
Anyone got any nuggets of information which may help one's instrument flying, especially ILSs.

Thank you.

JaredYng
19th Jun 2009, 21:55
I couldn't hep but notice your user name! I made the joke on my IFR x-c after my instructor filled us up with too much fuel that we would just tell clearance delivery "Helicopter 7193U Heavy is ready to copy"

As far as tips/suggestions....hmm

Are you using FAA plates or Jepp?(I used and like FAA, plus they're free to print!) Either way, don't be afraid to highlight things on those plates that help you such as your minimum altitudes, FAF, time and so forth.

Also, collective friction is your friend!

Revolutionary
19th Jun 2009, 22:49
On the ILS, pay particular attention to the section of the approach plate where it gives you a rate of descent to go with your groundspeed.

It's easy to fall into the trap of chasing the glideslope needle with lots of pitch and collective inputs, distracting you and causing you to get off track on the localizer.

Instead, focus on establishing the given speed (90 knots or less -you're a helicopter!) and rate of descent as best as you can; the resulting glideslope will be stable and you'll be able to maintain it with a minimum of pitch and power inputs. Keep cross-checking your speed and rate of descent in conjunction with your glideslope needle.

Having taken care of the hard part -the glideslope, you will now have the time and the brain power available to take care of the easy part -following the localizer.

alouette3
19th Jun 2009, 22:59
As you get closer the localizer needle becomes more sensitive. It is easier to "bracket" the on course heading than chase the needle. Towards the end your corrrections should be very minimal. Also, when attempting to bracket, keep the wind in mind and apply offset accordingly. All this while staying on the glide slope. Wheeww!!!:) . Just relax, scan and make smooth corrections.
Alt3.