PDA

View Full Version : What Happens When Idiots Run the Asylum

qwertyplop
29th Apr 2009, 09:20
BBC NEWS | UK | Northern Ireland | Airport security 'humiliated' man (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/northern_ireland/8024169.stm)

Says it all really....

DB6
29th Apr 2009, 09:37
I understand the IQ testing for these people is pretty strict. More than 10 and you have no chance of employment, 5 or under is definite management material.
There is a job to be done and when you meet normal, cordial security people it's fine but I get the impression they slipped through the initial selection process and will get nowhere. The tossers in the article have probably been commended by the homunculi in charge.

fireflybob
29th Apr 2009, 09:39
Whatever happened to "common sense"?

Management is doing things right, leadership is doing the right thing. You really couldn't dream some of this stuff up for a Fawlty Towers sketch or even Yes Minister.

skyloone
29th Apr 2009, 10:02
You might have an idea there. How about a list of cringing security episodes done in true David Brent style. I reckon it'd be quite popular viewing. Could throw in a few very serious and importatnt political security announcements by the powers that be...

Have a friend who's quadraplegic... they wanted to take his wheelchair seat cushion away because its made of gel. Could do a p**s take on the stand off that would'nt have been.. perhaps a sit off. We had a laugh about it later but the stress caused at the time was not really what was required.

PS. Operating out of a German airport this week..... as crew, take any amount of liquids via crew search.. rather refreshing !!

remoak
29th Apr 2009, 10:20
On the other hand... the security guy was following what we can assume are pretty strict instructions and was almost certainly having his actions recorded on CCTV. He wouldn't have known about splints and their use, and couldn't possibly have predicted the outcome of removing them for the guy concerned.

I agree that security can be anal, but anger should really be directed at the fools that make the rules, not the hapless individuals who have to carry them out. Even the good ones are between a rock and a hard place, with very little discretion allowed them.

BOAC
29th Apr 2009, 10:25
He wouldn't have known about splints and their use, and couldn't possibly have predicted the outcome of removing them for the guy concerned.??????????????????????? I assume that was an attempt at sick humour?

Bigmouth
29th Apr 2009, 10:39
... the security guy was following what we can assume are pretty strict instructions...
'Cause using your head certainly isn't an option anymore, is it. "I vaz only taking orderz."

Blacksheep
29th Apr 2009, 12:01
...then there were the conscientious chaps who x-rayed my wallet when I passed from the arrival gate to the transit lounge in Brisbane. It is quite possible I was carrying a small thermo-nuclear device. :ugh:

ShyTorque
29th Apr 2009, 12:09
the security guy was following what we can assume are pretty strict instructions

Some tried using that excuse at the Nurenburg trials. :hmm:

One Outsider
29th Apr 2009, 12:23
Some people just have a control fetish and use any excuse to tell others what to do and how to behave. Usually under some phoney pretext.

SpringHeeledJack
29th Apr 2009, 12:39
There is a job to be done and when you meet normal, cordial security people it's fine but I get the impression they slipped through the initial selection process and will get nowhere.

Amen to that !

It is said that much can be seen of a persons character when they are put in a position of influence and power, and sadly a great many show themselves to be lacking in many areas of human goodness/intelligence. I wonder how 'stupid' these security people are in their private lives ? People 'get into character' in many jobs, it comes with the territory, but when it involves non-sensical behaviour towards 'customers', well draw your own conclusions.. :hmm:

Regards

SHJ

Roger Sofarover
29th Apr 2009, 12:49
remoak

You cannot be serious.

He wouldn't have known about splints and their use, and couldn't possibly have predicted the outcome of removing them for the guy concerned.

I have never worn splints, neither has anybody in my family, I am not sure I have ever touched a pair of splints, however, I reckon when I see people wearing them, who are clearly walking with great difficulty, I would predict that the outcome of taking them off somebody would be that they would have great difficulty and pain in standing let alone walking without them.

The chap concerned is obviously very honest, when subjected to such humiliation he should have fallen over going through the machine and claimed for a back or neck injury. Now that would have been a lot more than 1500.

airborne_artist
29th Apr 2009, 12:57
He wouldn't have known about splints and their use, and couldn't possibly have predicted the outcome of removing them for the guy concerned.Which would explain his IQ of -9, then?

What tosh - a guy who can't walk properly has metal rods round his legs - they are clearly there for a reason, and not some kind of bizarre body piercing. The security knobber could have a) called a supervisor and left him with the problem b) asked the passenger about his splints or c) used his brain and helped the guy through.

He chose d) be a senseless idiot :ugh:

qwertyplop
29th Apr 2009, 13:02
I suspect it was done simply because it could be done.

No other reason will have entered the cretins head.

The 'operative' concerned will no doubt have justified it to himself and the idiots around him, I bet the payment was made on the basis of no fault admitted around the process but rather an apology for any 'misunderstanding'.

airborne_artist
29th Apr 2009, 13:09
couldn't possibly have predicted the outcome of removing them

If I can't predict the outcome of an action, I don't do it...is that why I have an IQ >10?

qwertyplop
29th Apr 2009, 13:20
I'd privately prosecute the cretin in civil law for his actions, I certainly would not have taken the money and I certainly would have milked this to the max.

These ass's have to learn, this was an opportunity missed.

silverhawk
29th Apr 2009, 14:25
This intrusion is where the terrorists win.

They interrupt our normal lives

And we let them.

Solar
29th Apr 2009, 14:28
What happens to the security bloke that instigated this? If the 1500 was taken out of his pocket he might and I stress might wake up. He probably got promotion though.

SLF3b
29th Apr 2009, 16:14
Went through security at Luxor with a bottle of mineral water. Him (wagging finger) 'No'. Me (shrugging shoulders) 'come on'. Him (miming with a grin) 'drink some'. Took a swig and smiled back. Him 'welcome to Egypt'.

Which is the third world?

qwertyplop
29th Apr 2009, 16:32
When things like this happen like they do in the UK in so many areas of public life, one really wonders if we are witnessing the 'last days' of Rome.

Can anyone really and honestly remember it any better? This idea of people working towards what they think the state wants was rather endemic of Germany in the 1930's and 40's.

Pound to a penny this idiot thought he was completely justified and that the state would thank him for his glorious actions.

Standard Noise
29th Apr 2009, 18:11
Whatever happened to "common sense"?
It doesn't visit the Aldergrove asylum anymore, it got bored with having the door slammed shut in it's face.

Belfast have my personal accolade as the only security in the world that can be more beligerent and unthinking than Gatwick.
They are mostly good guys, but there are a couple who are complete arses.
No, they're all complete arses at Aldergrove. On the 'Belfast' thread in 'Airports', I get slated for saying that Belfast City is a better airport to use. One of the main reasons is that the security guys at Belfast City are much better than the tits at Aldergrove.

BladePilot
29th Apr 2009, 19:59
who was this muppet? name and shame I say, name and shame!

actually thinking about it I've offended the Muppets, sorry guys great show:)

Captain Stable
29th Apr 2009, 21:17
I do recall watching a bunch of squaddies who were, for whatever reason, boarding their (Mil) transport from the civvy side rather than the Mil side @ BFS.

Each and very one of them had to put his SA80 through the scanner - presumably so it could be X-rayed to ensure it wasn't concealing some sort of weapon... :ooh: :confused:

Roger Sofarover
30th Apr 2009, 04:21
Stable

That happened to me, and you know the funniest thing, they were doing it on the mil side! An RAF policeman insisted we put our SA80's through the x ray machine. I had to take my survival knife off my flying suit before going through the scanner! WTF. It made us laugh for a long time though, the copper could not see the humour in it.

Captain Stable
30th Apr 2009, 08:01
Roger, yep - the knife in the growbag was also a prob for me on occasions.

I also recall @ BFS taking my sidearm out of the holster, putting it in the glove compartment of my car, going in, walking through the scanner, going back out to my car, putting the sidearm back in the holster and driving on through... :uhoh:

mickjoebill
30th Apr 2009, 10:00
Each and very one of them had to put his SA80 through the scanner - presumably so it could be X-rayed to ensure it wasn't concealing some sort of weapon...

I take it troops don't walk around airports with loaded weapons. So maybe the xray confirmed that no bullets went on board?

Watched some long bearded important looking orthodox priests in flowing robes pass through security in an Eastern European airport a few months ago.
One priest had a bloody great meat ax size of a brass crucifix hanging around his neck.
I wondered if it would be confiscated as a potential weapon..it wasn't.
But security did give him a reverently executed once over with the metal detector and when it went off near the crucifix they smiled weakly and let him through.
I mused that he could have had a weapon taped underneath his robes behind that crucifix! or have I been watched one too many Matt Damon movies?

Mickjoebill

Captain Stable
30th Apr 2009, 10:38
I take it troops don't walk around airports with loaded weapons. So maybe the xray confirmed that no bullets went on board?You take it wrong - we're talking about Belfast when things were still - how shall I put it? - exciting. And bullets most certainly went on board. The SA80 is not a lot of use without them. Being made of recycled baked bean tins, it's not even much use for hitting people round the head with.

OFSO
30th Apr 2009, 19:17
My wife flew back via Gatwick this afternoon. Her knee brace (tight 'rubber' bandage as worn by footballers, tennis-players, skiiers and my wife ) "set off" detector. Lady scanner operator went ape. Even when she saw it was a knee brace, she had to "manually inspect it".

She asked my wife "got anything sharp on you ?"

Fixing her with a grim and steely look, my wife said "yes - my tongue".