PDA

View Full Version : Pilots centralized in JAA land?

YVRKid
29th Apr 2009, 08:05
Knowing forum users' eager desire to tell newbs to "search" I want to affirm that I have done several days of searching on these and other forums. :\:ok:

My question comes from an outsider (Canadian) looking to enter aviation life in Europe. I've yet to start training, but I'm curious. With a JAA ATPL (issued by a country that complies with JAR-FCL 1 [told you I researched]) are you basically confined to the country of issue, due to language barriers/mild xenophobia? I know techincally speaking with a JAR-FCL ATPL you're allowed to be hired in any JAA country under the mutual agreement, but being a native English speaker, and being moderately good in French, am I confined basically to jobs in the UK, maybe even France? Or is it 'easy' for English speakers to go elsewhere (ie. Eastern Europe, Spain etc) to find work?

Thanks,
Matthew

hightower1986
29th Apr 2009, 09:09
I reckon it would be no issue but obviously beneficial to the carrier if you spoke the native issue, im no expert on the matter, only going from the whole English is the language of aviation theory. Why you fancying Europe anyway Canadian job prospects poor also or change of scenery!? I think the JAA/JAR one is valid europe wide. Yeah people on here are eager to pounce on anything that has already been discussed, but they still read about it and complain! Just wait for the comments!

tigermagicjohn
29th Apr 2009, 09:40
I think you will struggle with work permit.
That is more the problem. Also I know example in Scandinavien countries they require you speak a nordic language at many of the airlines.

YVRKid
29th Apr 2009, 11:30
Just for the record I have an EU (British) Passport, so no problems there. I'm just curious as to the general atmosphere with regards to flying in countries other than the UK.