PDA

View Full Version : Delta flying to Abuja

asacrj
28th Apr 2009, 22:05
New service to Abuja, Nigeria, starts in June
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
April 28, 2009

Delta will launch direct flights between Abuja, Nigeria, and New York-JFK, via Dakar, Senegal, starting June 11, pending Nigerian government approval. The flight, which starts with twice-weekly flights, will move to three times weekly in July, and will be the only direct service from Nigeria’s capital city to the U.S.
“We are delighted to add Abuja to our industry-leading Africa network,” said Bobby Bryan-commercial manager for West and East Africa. “Our Abuja service will be the second city Delta serves in Nigeria and will further strengthen commercial ties and opportunities between Nigeria and the U.S. We have already seen high demand for our nonstop service between Lagos and Atlanta, and as a result we will upgrade the aircraft on that route to a Boeing 777-200 aircraft this summer.”

I still remember so many people critizing the transport minister for wanting newer airplanes on the Abuja route. Some even went ahead and said Delta should pull out of Nigeria and Nigerians will regret it. Some said the minister was stupid and was just looking for his botton line. So much hate for no reason. I guess Delta do need Nigeria after all. Watch out Abuja a very nice B777 is coming your way

Mr. Smith
29th Apr 2009, 02:20
Alot of people fail to realize money talks. At the end of the day if it is making you money, all prejudices will be placed aside. It's that simple. Hopefully this upgrade will provide better baggage allowance and rid Nigerians of the missing bags syndrome that was gettig more and more common w/ Delta.

soggyboxers
29th Apr 2009, 12:24
What it won't of course provide, is decent standards of cabin service. $7 for a beer or a small bottle of wine :yuk:

If travelling with an infant Delta deems it safe enough that it is held in the parent's arms rather than providing a child seat belt :ugh:

Arik
29th Apr 2009, 17:28
Whilst Arik are looking to do the reverse ...

Arik (no relation to the airline!)

TonyWilliams
29th Apr 2009, 17:56
Watch out Abuja a very nice B777 is coming your way

You don't think it'll be the most clapped out 777 they can find?

By the way, having flown on the DAL-767 between LOS-ATL, I was embarrassed on my first crossing at how trashed the plane became over the 12 hours. I apologized collectively, and was told by the FA that was the way it always is. I have never seen such a mess left in any plane ever. Sad.:(

NIJASEA
30th Apr 2009, 08:07
TW,
I have seen a lot worse than our Nigerian pax lack of cleanliness of the cabin/lavs on long haul flights but I feel your shame at the situation.
Try getting pax asking for the toilet for british/canadian passport holders or pax not understanding the fact the toilet seat is meant for sitting not squatting. All respect to the cabin crew.
An Airline would have to be barmy to put a new state of the art aircraft on routes to destinations where pax hygiene and cleanliness is a problem.
If Delta can bring a B777 with state of the art IFE and enough leg room in economy then, I dont feel the age of the aircraft should have any relevance.

Ibhayi
30th Apr 2009, 16:20
I think the argument that one should dictate to the airline what aircraft they fly is nuts but lets be honest. They fly crap there because they can. Places like Nigeria and Angola are cash cows for the airlines, the BA high J was nicknamed the Lagos configuration. The fares are through the roof so if one does consider which are the most valuable passengers then yeah they should get the best planes.

fabso
17th May 2009, 13:16
Flown ATL-LOS-ATL full flight, nice service per cabin crew, but was disappointed with the equipment used on this route...B767-300ER. Seats were very uncomfortable(especially for tall pple) in addition to unavailability of individual IFEs. Would hope thi route also gets a much deserved equipment upgrade like its proposed for ABV.