PDA

View Full Version : A320 Taxiing out N-1 Engine for fuel saving

jefADDAC
28th Apr 2009, 13:41
Hello,

I'd like to know if some airlines practice the N-1 engine taxiing out for fuel saving.
I saw a Vueling A320 with only one engine running last week in Barcelona when taxiing out to holding point 07R.
With my airline we only cut off engine 2 after landing.
Let us know what do you think of it and what is your experience regarding solo engine taxi procedures.

Jef A320 Captain
and former member of ADDAC see : www.addac.fr (http://www.addac.fr)
French "think tank" for sustainable developpment in civil aviation
welcome to new members (pilots, ATC, cabin crews, engineers ..)

PGA
28th Apr 2009, 18:33
Works fine unless you have to stop somewhere on an uphill slope, you could need around 45% N1 to get going again, therefore a little anticipation is required by the PF.

Our procedure comes down to:

After brakes release the Y elec pump comes on to prevent the PTU from running. Normal pushback and #1 engine start. We follow the normal after start procedures, however we DON'T run the after start checklist.

Yet again, normal taxi out, taking into account slopes and jetblast etc. When engine #2 is started the PNF handles all the switching etc, when the engine is stable, and the engine mode sel is back in normal and the APU switched off, the PF / PNF resume their normal duties again and the after start checklist is completed, from there onwards it's operation normal again.

The reason we don't run the after start checks is becomes of, amongst others the status page.

Works well in places like MAD/CDG/BCN/AMS and does save anywhere between 50 / 100 kg's per taxi out, depending on taxi length of course, not much, but with an x amount of sectors a day it does add up. However not to be used during LVO's, slippery and/or icing conditions and not with engines which haven't run in the last 6 hours.