PDA

View Full Version : Con-Pilot......This One's For You!

V2-OMG!
28th Apr 2009, 03:49
Ahhhhh.....the devilish grin.....the steeley-eyed stare of a bomber pilot, the brussels sprouts, and best of all.... "Did I really make love to a girl on top of a barrage balloon? Where is the balloon? Where is the girl? The lust of men seldom, if ever, appear in official military histories".......it could only be you.

Now, for those of us who don't have a clue what a barrage balloon is, could you please elaborate?

http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL1942/12014112/21796710/362711751.jpg

Howard Hughes
28th Apr 2009, 03:54
A barrage balloon? Isn't that some kind of prophylactic device for 'BIG' men?:E

Lightning6
28th Apr 2009, 03:58
Ahhhhh.....the devilish grin.....the steeley-eyed stare of a bomber pilot, the brussels sprouts, and best of all.... "Did I really make love to a girl on top of a barrage balloon? Where is the balloon? Where is the girl? The lust of men seldom, if ever, appear in official military histories".......it could only be you.

Now, for those of us who don't have a clue what a barrage balloon is, could you please elaborate?

http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL1942/12014112/21796710/362711751.jpg

Have a look here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barrage_balloon).

Brussels Sprouts are delicious if they are cooked right. :ok:

Rwy in Sight
28th Apr 2009, 05:11
And very unhealthy and difficult to digest.

Rwy in Sight

PS Baloon ... girls?

Lightning6
28th Apr 2009, 05:25
The only unhealthy about them is to the people around you a few hours after. :)

vapilot2004
28th Apr 2009, 05:44
Very nice OP!

We boil ours in chicken stock. Are we alone in that?

V2-OMG!
28th Apr 2009, 05:47
Have a look here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barrage_balloon).

Interesting. I wonder if it would be akin to a water bed; pump once, coast twice?

Pinky the pilot
28th Apr 2009, 05:47
Ban brussels sprouts!!:yuk:

Lightning6
28th Apr 2009, 05:55
Very nice OP!

We boil ours in chicken stock. Are we alone in that?

I'll give that a try (Sorry Con). Pinky the pilot...You don't know what you're missing. :) I like Balsamic Vinegar or Worcestershire Sauce on mine.

Lightning6
28th Apr 2009, 06:03
Interesting. I wonder if it would be akin to a water bed; pump once, coast twice?

Interesting thought!!

kiwi chick
28th Apr 2009, 07:25
:yuk::yuk::yuk::yuk::yuk::yuk:

You people are not sane.

Brussel Sprouts should be allowed to become extinct.

Whirlygig
28th Apr 2009, 07:39
75% of the UK's brussel sprouts are grown within a 10 mile radius of Cardington Sheds, home of the airship and many a barrage balloon.

This may not be a coincidence. :}

As a Bedfordshire lass, one is rather partial to Brussels Sprouts. :ok:

Cheers

Whirls

goudie
28th Apr 2009, 08:06
75% of the UK's brussel sprouts are grown within a 10 mile radius of Cardington Sheds,

Ah! So that's where the gas came from, for those balloons. Explains everything.

MadsDad
28th Apr 2009, 09:22
Brussels Sprouts. Best boiled, left to cool then fried as part of Bubble and Squeak.

Nobody (hopefully) cooks Brussels Sprouts like my mum used to - boiled for an hour or two with Bicarbonate of Soda added to the water. Ended up with a luminous green mush :yuk: - it would have made a good paint for fluorescent signs. MadsMum always cooked hers a lot less (and without the bicarb). I'll never forget the occasion at dinner when my dad said 'I much prefer the veg the way MadsMum cooks it' to my mother. You could have cut the atmosphere with a blunt axe and I don't think she forgave him to the day he died.

ArthurR
28th Apr 2009, 09:30
Now there's an interesting thought:
Plate full of sprouts, + woman,+ inflated barrage balloon.
Who needs a water bed :E

Howard Hughes
28th Apr 2009, 09:43
As a Bedfordshire lass, one is rather partial to Brussels Sprouts.
And what about barrage balloons?;)

hellsbrink
28th Apr 2009, 10:58
All fields of Brussels Sprouts should be designated as nuclear bomb testing grounds

RJM
28th Apr 2009, 11:09
I thought they had been - mutant little cabbages... :yuk:

MagnusP
28th Apr 2009, 11:10
When my daughter was at nursery school, a friend told her sprouts were horrible, so she refused to eat them. We said she could have baby cabbages instead :E and she still loves them to this day. She's now 28 and a nursery nurse; wonder if she tries the same trick at work . . .

Cook very lightly, drain, toss with some finely chopped & fried pancetta. Yum.

hellsbrink
28th Apr 2009, 11:25
Cook very lightly, drain, toss with some finely chopped & fried pancetta

Then throw in bin and have a bacon sarnie instead

corsair
28th Apr 2009, 11:44
Christmas dinner, Mother encourages child to eat her Brussels sprouts. 'But I don't like Brussels sprouts' wails the child. 'Don't be silly dear, no one likes
Brussels sprouts. It's just traditional'.

kiwi chick
28th Apr 2009, 11:53
Haha! It's the one thing I will never EVER make my girls eat... :ok:

Peter Fanelli
28th Apr 2009, 11:59
Funny how everyone who claims they are good seems to hide them behind various sauces or other flavors.

Brussels Sprouts SUCK!

parabellum
28th Apr 2009, 12:04
On their own, OK, but a little melted butter and some cracked black pepper, perfect!!!

MagnusP
28th Apr 2009, 12:05
Funny how everyone who claims they are good seems to hide them behind various sauces or other flavors.

Well, I claim to like steak as well, but hide it behind salt & pepper; doesn't mean I don't like steak. I like sprouts as they are, but was just suggesting how others might find them more palatable. However, if you have that genetic tweak that makes them taste bitter, nothing will help.

Wod
28th Apr 2009, 13:01
Provided that they have been exposed to frost prior to picking, there's nowt wrong wi' a sprout.

Plain boiled works, as do some of the more sophisticated treatments that have been mentioned. Never had a bad one yet.

Quite what this has to do with the book is beyond me, but so is most of JB.

The SSK
28th Apr 2009, 13:14
Petty regional jealousies, Hellsbrink.

If they were called Antwerp Sprouts you'd love them.

Whirlygig
28th Apr 2009, 13:24
On their own, OK, but a little melted butter and some cracked black pepper, perfect!!!
Parabellum, can I come round to your house for tea please?

Cheers

Whirls

hellsbrink
28th Apr 2009, 13:40
Petty regional jealousies, Hellsbrink.

If they were called Antwerp Sprouts you'd love them.

Rubbish, I'm Scottish and have hated these things with a passion since I was a nipper.

And, considering they are more realistically described as a Dutch invention (as the Dutch were in charge of the area where the sprouts originated) I reckon that gives us a reason to nuke Holland.

Storminnorm
28th Apr 2009, 13:57
I'm never allowed to prepare the "Traditional" dish of yuletide
brussel sprouts.
I'm just irresistably drawn into eating about 2/3 of the damn
things in the RAW condition. I just LOVE them raw. Weird innit????

hellsbrink
28th Apr 2009, 13:59
And no wonder the ozone layer is in such a state when we have people like Norm

Lon More
28th Apr 2009, 14:19
As a Bedfordshire lass,

I thought you came from the posh end of Hants. Whirls? Must be a sprout-free area as 'urricanes 'ardly 'appen.

Used to hate the buggers. now i love them. Same with Horseraish sauce. Now love it on its own

Dutch were in charge of the area where the sprouts originated) I reckon that gives us a reason to nuke Holland Ferck orf Hellsbrink it was under the Spanish. Go nuke them, and chuck a load at Wallonia and the Frogs on the way.

Storminnorm
28th Apr 2009, 14:32
We have the makings of a new culinary delight Lon.
Raw Sprout a la Horseradish!!! Delicious!!!

That's tonight's supper sorted then.

parabellum
28th Apr 2009, 14:50
Certainly Whirls, most welcome, something rather special about going to Australia for tea!:)

con-pilot
28th Apr 2009, 18:58
I see no problem what so ever with Brussels sprouts and barrage balloons.

Just load up baskets full of Brussels sprouts and tie them to the bottom of as many barrage balloons that are left, that can found, that can be made, wait until you have an off shore breeze and cut 'em lose. Then let anybody that wants shoot the balloons down into the water.

Repeat until all the nasty, evil, awful tasting, scourge of mankind Brussels sprouts are eradicated from the face on earth.

See, no problem. :E

Solid Rust Twotter
28th Apr 2009, 19:14
I like them with no embellishment too. I think it's the strong flavour that does it and will happily scoff them raw. Probably a result of drowning my tonsils in Tabasco in the army to add some flavour to the bland tasteless military grub.

They're good lightly steamed and left crunchy then tossed with some crisp fried bacon, a few chives and some olive oil. Pinch of coarse salt and serve cold as a salad.

frostbite
28th Apr 2009, 20:54
I am quite partial to them on occasion and my parrot absolutely adores them.

Lon More
28th Apr 2009, 20:58
tonight's supper sorted then

PHWAAAAAART!

kiwi chick
29th Apr 2009, 00:50
to add some flavour to the bland tasteless military grub.

:D I have never eaten so much Sweet Chilli Sauce in my life... :}

FakePilot
29th Apr 2009, 02:40
Ah, Cabbage Nads, my favorite! My wife stir fries them in some secret sauce with pea pods and mushrooms. Leaves'em nice and crisp.

Peter Fanelli
29th Apr 2009, 02:43
All these hints and all this advice on how to make them more palatable.
You can dress up a turd as much as you want, I still wont eat it!

Lightning6
29th Apr 2009, 03:14
All these hints and all this advice on how to make them more palatable.
You can dress up a turd as much as you want, I still wont eat it!

Do you not eat any food that's not dressed? Lamb with mint sauce, beef with horseradish, pork with apple sauce, turkey with cranberry sauce...need I go on?

V2-OMG!
29th Apr 2009, 03:23
Do you not eat any food that's not dressed?

That is the civilized way, Lightning.

The turkey is also "dressed" vs. "stuffed."

When seated around the Thanksgiving table with my American cousins, it's "Pass the stuffin' please." It kinda grates on my nerves.

gupta
30th Apr 2009, 06:45
Place sprouts in cold water with fist-sized rock.
Bring to the boil, maintain simmer until rock is soft
Throw away sprouts, eat rock.
Fumigate kitchen.

hellsbrink
30th Apr 2009, 13:27
Ferck orf Hellsbrink it was under the Spanish. Go nuke them, and chuck a load at Wallonia and the Frogs on the way.

OK, we'll nuke the Dutch, French AND Spanish then.

After all, the Dutch consume the most of these dried snotballs

parabellum
1st May 2009, 01:39
Well I think we have managed to establish that Brussel Sprouts are a very sophisticated acquired taste!:}

Um... lifting...
1st May 2009, 01:56
Hungry In Hogtown: Green scream: brussels sprouts three ways (http://www.hungryinhogtown.com/hungry_in_hogtown/2008/11/field-of-screams-brussels-sprouts-three-ways.html)

One recalls being at a dinner as a sprog and being served the sprout. One tucked them in one's cheek like a chipmunk and made numerous trips to the loo to dispose of same. One was about 8. One was certain one was fooling everyone. One was wrong.

In the above link they discuss deglazing a pan with orange juice and Canadian whisky. I expect con-pilot will simply skip all the preliminary steps and deglaze himself with Scotch.

RJM
1st May 2009, 05:26
Well, it's happened. Cook's back, and hasn't changed her opinion of PPRuNe.

Recent conversation, more or less verbatim.

Cook, seeing the familiar PPRuNe page open on my laptop on the kitchen table: 'Still posting on this thing?'

Me: 'Yup.'

Cook (reading this very thread): 'What are they talking about? Brussells sprouts??'

Me: 'Yup.'

Cook: 'Unbelievable. I thought they were pilots.'

Me: 'Well, some are.'

Cook, shaking her head: 'This is pretty silly.'

Me: 'No sillier than Book Club.'

Cook: 'That's completely different.'

Me: 'To each their own.' (resisting the urge to explain the useful analysis and worthwhile conclusions reached re sprouts on the thread)

Cook: 'I still think it's silly.'

Me: 'Do you want white or red?'

Cook: 'Red, thanks.'

Me: 'How was...blah blah..'

Alcohol. A great diversion. She may well be right, but there's no point in agreeing with her.

Rollingthunder
1st May 2009, 05:31
Ah wimmins. Some don't appreciate good veggies.

Go chat. I'm gettin ghostie. fading.