PDA

View Full Version : Conversion From Faa To Kcaa (kenyan) License

bond7
27th Apr 2009, 21:32
Am sure there're threads about this subject, but can anyone shed some light on the current conversion rates...the whole process...good instructor referrals to go to without having to pay an arm and leg for my check ride.

Am aware they use the Baron 58...for the conversion...and am lucky to have logged some hours in it.

Thanks. :)

zubs
28th Apr 2009, 11:55
i found this on the kenya school of flying website

If you have a foreign commercial pilot's licence(CPL multi)and you need to convert it, then KSOF is the place.

Requirements for conversions to Kenyan CPL :
- Kenyan Medical class one
- 100 hrs solo
- 10 hrs in last six months (solo)
- Kenyan R/T licence
- Undergo ground school conversion course( Fee = Kshs 45,000)
- ground school conversion exam(Fee= kshs 10,000)
- Multi-engine rating - Flight check ride
- Instrument Rating - Flight check ride by KCAA flight examiner
- 250 hrs total time
- 40 hrs instrument (20 hrs max sim)
- Tecnical Type Rating - MultiForm 64(flight checkout)-Multi
- Multi / IR exam by K.C.A.A flight examiner

hope it helps

i too might be heading down to kenya to convert my licence again, let me know how it goes

cheers.

french_fry
28th Apr 2009, 19:26
Its a long and difficult process and largely depends if you have any local support (company) or if you decide to this by your self...
What is your experience? are you coming here for pleasure or for work? what types do you fly?
Make sure all your documents are up to date and in order. Logbooks stamped, Medical, IR, pretty much everything. Also keep in mind that the FAA does not issue ratings for aircraft under 12,500lbs yet the KCAA is like the UK system and has secific rating for each aircraft, so go to your FSDO and have them put on your license or have proof that you have experience in your logbook. Also, for example if you will fly a BE20 here, you will need to physically do the test on that specific aircraft to have it on your license, It's called a Form 64.
If you meet all the requirements for a commercial or ATPL here: you need to do a conversion exam, a medical exam, a form 64 flight test (3 TO and lndgs), and an IFR flight test. a couple flight schools have examiners who can help.
Good luck it is costly, and its a dreadful process, not to mention highly time consuming...

Csanad007
28th Apr 2009, 21:34
I alsp asked this question a few weeks ago, here's the reply I got from a guy who's been trying his luck there. Also I have some more info but won't copy it here, just view my blog through my profile (you can just search in the blog for kenya and you'll get the related posts). I also got reply from East African Air Charters company with mainly the same end.

So the answer to my question:

I just got back from 2 months over there.
Pilot licence conversion test for CPL is on the second thursday of each month. Only this day. Dont miss it. It costs $200 us dollars. I dont know what your licence is like but the Kenyan exam is a lot different than the canadian one. A good deal of the questions are written in broken english and the words combined do not equal a sentance. Its multiple choice and done on a computer.You go to the Kenyan civil aviation authority to book the test. You go across the building to pay for the test at the Kenyan revenue authority. You then go back to the Aviation authority then they tell you when and where to write the test. The test is on the old airport road down a small road at the East African School of flying. Despite confirming and visiting several times to make sure i was booked for certain date they still did not have me on the list when i arrived. Had to stand in the Testing office and demand that i could write the test for one hour and refuse to leave before they allowed me to write.
If you go a couple weeks ahead of time you can get a flying shool to prep you for the exam. Dont know the cost of that process though. Once you have a licence in hand some of the companies will then talk to you.
The work permit is around $2000 USD. You may have to bribe someone an equal amount to actually get them to process it. It is a two year permit. If you have just finished your CPL and have 2-300 hours they may just flat out deny you the permit since there are a lot of kenyans in the same boat.
You can avoid a work permit with the right company and out of country placements.
If you can get in you are in a great position. If nobody is willing to take you on try to convince them to let you work the ramp for a while and you will end up flying a fair bit and logging hours when they need somebody. Most kenyan pilots wont give you the time of day but a lot of the expats can be quite helpful. It will be an adventure...

bond7
28th Apr 2009, 23:48
Zubs, French fry...thanks a bunch and Csanad007...thank you and I'll be looking for the related info on East African aviation.

...Any Instructor referalls? l'll try KSOF...Is Captain Ririani still available at the Wilson FBO...rumour has it...he's been trying to relocate his base to Malindi...for obvious reasons...better performance and less stress on the engines...

Thanks y'all.:)

Donateloh009
7th May 2009, 10:25
hi there,
am currently diong the conversion myself from FAA to kenyan. its quite a process for sure. the conversion exam of 100 q's is flawed i think, but i passed it on my third try. each seating is 10k, also did the performance A and Gas turbine. there is a new school called Nairobi flight Training. I never did my multi so am planning to do it here. if you need information, let me know if i can be of any help. i don't get online that much, bt will make a point to do so each day or two. internet is real slow and irritating some times so i rather enjoy my beer bila stresss...lol

singesavant
5th Mar 2010, 10:20
hi there,

Is there anyone who can described the medical examination in kenya?
Similar than the FAA one?
I am thinking of the first class to convert my faa cplh...
Also any input on the process for cplh convertion?

contract4
24th Mar 2010, 14:12
Hi Guys.

I'm currently looking at converting my FAA CPL to the Kenyan CPL and I have a problem. Hopefully someone can help me.

I need to start studying for the Composite Paper / Conversion Exam but I just cannot find books. It seems that Kenyan CPL Ground School books don't exist, which is crazy!! I'm aware the Kenyan regs are based on the South African regs but does that mean I have to get the SA Commercial books to study? I've tried but got no answer from anyone in Kenya about books. People like Kenya School of Flying and CMC Aviation are just not helping me at all. If someone says to me that 'X' book exists and it costs 'X dollars' and can be purchased from 'X' then fantastic; i'll buy it and start studying tomorrow. But does such a book exist? Is there anyone who has been able to obtain such a book? If not then what do I study?

It's really frustrating. :ugh::ugh::ugh:

Please can someone help? Cheers.

Donateloh009
24th Mar 2010, 18:06
hello,
sorry for your frustrations. This is our motherland and though flawed in some areas, its up to us to be its better future. So, welcome back! there isn't really a book as such. the only thing I would say is for you to get a hold of the JAA ATPL questions. many of them come from there. also, the different schools offer classes for conversion. ask around and am sure you will get the best advice for how to go about your conversion if you keep your ears on the ground....

booze
25th Mar 2010, 13:33
Exactly. The questions are identical to the ones in the JAA ATPL database. Study those and you'll pass. Last year the passmark was 70%. 100 questions total: 6-8 questions from each of the 14 JAA ATPL subjects.
Hope this helps. Did for me :cool:

atpcliff
25th Mar 2010, 18:58
Hi!

JAA ATPL Exam Subjects | AviationTire.com (http://www.aviationtire.com/atplsubject.cfm)

contract4
26th Mar 2010, 21:04
Thanks guys. Thanks for the advice. That's good to know the JAA notes will work. Thanks for the link Cliff.

Jockey Straddler
1st Apr 2010, 04:57
Shall speed things up if you acquire one of the local names like Njoroge or Kamau.
Not sure now but it took me 8 months to convert.:ugh:

FGC
10th Apr 2010, 19:01
Has anyone converted a Tanzanian/Ugandan ATPL or commercial licence to a Kenyan equivalent recently? Is it easier to convert an existing East African Licence, or must you still go through the same sh**e as any other foreign licence?

atpcliff
11th Apr 2010, 15:14
Hi!

It IS easier to convert from an East African license. Does not mean that the process is EASY, however!

bond7
25th May 2010, 22:56
Thanks Cliff

selineikas
6th Jun 2013, 13:06
Hi . I'm currently doing my CPL in South Africa. And I would like to explore as many options as possible here before I get back to Kenya.

Could you please furnish me with information concerning conversion of CAA CPL to the Kenya one. Is it advisable to write the CAA ATPL exams then convert or would it just be better to get back to Kenya and write my ATPL exams there?

Vc10Tail
7th Jun 2013, 17:51
If you want to convert your FAA to KCAA you must be a risk taker if you are foreign..the conversion cost can run up to $USD 4-5000..plus staying and sundry expenses. How do you feel about the fact that many Kenyan pilots are unemployed and have petitioned the Ministry of Labour and KCAA against allow foreign pilots coming to take up employment?
Kenyans regularly get refused visas to go and train in USA...let alone being granted flying employment there..it is a quid-pro-quo status...

Trim Stab
9th Jun 2013, 06:38
Has anyone converted a Tanzanian/Ugandan ATPL or commercial licence to a Kenyan equivalent recently?

If you have a KCAA licence you can obtain a Tanzanian licence just by sitting the Tanzania Air Law exam. I think the process is reciprocal.

Trim Stab
9th Jun 2013, 06:45
If you want to convert your FAA to KCAA you must be a risk taker if you are foreign..the conversion cost can run up to $USD 4-5000..plus staying and sundry expenses. How do you feel about the fact that many Kenyan pilots are unemployed and have petitioned the Ministry of Labour and KCAA against allow foreign pilots coming to take up employment?

It is still cheaper for Kenyan operators to "import" experienced foreign pilots who have type-specific experience and convert their licences to KCAA than to pay for Kenyan pilots to go overseas for type-ratings.

I agree, however, that there is little point in low-time foreign pilots without type-ratings coming to Kenya nowadays. For low-timer jobs, much better to employ Kenyan pilots who know the local weather and terrain, and who have been trained to fly at the madness of Wilson...

Vc10Tail
9th Jun 2013, 07:21
Dear Trim Tab...with respect,

Why do you think many rated,experienced and competent pilots can not get jobs in Europe and USA? A country and a business is not just runned on profit and loss principle.They have a social obligation to create employment for its nationals.Jobs are a national resource that need protection.Do you think if Arabian Gulf countries had enough of their own they would be dishing out employment to foreigners? Having a Pilot's license that qualifies to operate a transport aircraft is enough to qualify for developing local cadre.Even in Kenya Pilots are made to pay for their ratings (which I think that it is unethical and many in the industry will agree opting for service bond instead to ensure no attrition).There is no free lunch...and even those who pay for the rating have to go through a period of fly without pay during training till checking out..KQ being an exception even if pay is meagre during training.

KCAA should also be petitioned against allowing foreigners to convert to CPL or ATPL unless they have a letter of employment offer which should be vetted by Ministry of Labour for no infringements on labour policy..which should bar foreigners taking kenyan national jobs.
So my friend, understand that those alien pilots(as yanks like to refer to them) will come to Kenya or other third world countries to fly for pay not because it is a covetted job but because they have no job! Please show some patriotism..the expats who come here...Kenya has been benevolent enough in the past.If you knew how many experienced pilots are unemployed in Kenya today it would prick your conscious to try and promote this country as a haven for pilot wannabees from the rest of the world.Be sensible ndugu!

Trim Stab
9th Jun 2013, 10:32
I'm not making any judgements, just pointing out some market realities. If you want to make policy to protect Kenyan pilot job market, give up flying and go into politics!

Vc10Tail
9th Jun 2013, 14:23
You are hardly in a position to order people to give up flying..even if you are into politics! It is not my job to protect pilot joibs..it is the Union's which for the moment doesn't exist and If I was employed in Kenya I would be the first to spearhead it...with pleasure.It is the obligation of all pilots to be vigilant and protect their local job markets..not to open the flood gates.Read about what Nigeria did when they were invaded by foreign pilots. It is quite inspiring! I was amongst the first who alerted the KCAA and Ministry of Transport a decade back and I have witnessed some initiatives taken to safeguard Kenyan jobs but it is not enough.The weakest link in the chain is KCAA.If they stop this practice Kenyans will not have to worry about their jobs being eaten up by foreignerwsd. I can not imagine you are a local.And I challenge you to teach me about market realities trim stab..as I have been in Aviation since mid 80s. For your information you got it all wrong about realities of market economics...in the long run it is more expensive to hire expats as they come with higher salaries and perks to be able to attract and keep them..so I suggest you adgust your stab trim settings for a better flying attitude.if you want to REMAIN in aviation! Else..a foreigner might gobble YOUR local job!

Trim Stab
9th Jun 2013, 14:47
So if you are not employed in Kenya, where are you employed? If working abroad you are yourself taking the job of a local.

And would you be happy if the UK and US were to kick out all the Kenyan doctors, nurses, etc who are over there taking away the jobs of locals?

FLYDHC8
9th Jun 2013, 14:52
VC10Tail,

What exactly did Nigeria do? As far as I know, the airlines in Nigeria are still recruiting foreign Pilots both in Rotary and Fixed wing and NCAA is still validating licences so is there anything I am missing?

Trim Stab
9th Jun 2013, 16:04
The KCAA are actually more protective of their home market than the NCAA. There are plenty of fixed wing operators in Nigeria operating with European registered aircraft and with entirely European crews with uniquely JAR licences (eg Hangar 8). The KCAA does not allow foreign registered aircraft to operate in Kenya, and all foreign pilots have to obtain a KCAA licence to fly here.

I don't know what Vc10tail means either.

Vc10Tail
9th Jun 2013, 19:11
Trim tab or stab trim..whoever you think you are...if VC10 is a mystery to you..I suspect you have not been in Kenya's Aviation long enough...in which case keep on driving your cessna with your recently acquired cpl until you can grow enough teeth to have a pplitical argument about Aviation with a twenty year veteran.

About Nigeria..you obviously did not reaearch we'll enough.There is nothing about KCAA that is protectionist as you have said iyt yourself...they ALLOW foreigners to convert. Their licenses.You obviously did not comprehend my argument at all and I shall not lower my standard to your level to try and account for my self.

I doubt that you are Kenyan and if you are I sure would be entertained to see you running like a headless chicken desperately seeking work in your country..where lots of foreigners are having a field day...at your expense.

Meanwhile...you have jeuxt taken the dump to my ignore list!!

Trim Stab
9th Jun 2013, 19:21
So Vc10tail, you are still avoiding the question - which country are YOU working in? And how do you feel about taking a job from a local in that country?

Nigeria does not require foreign pilots to convert to NCAA licences - many (like myself) fly there on EASA licences, on EASA reg aircraft. That is not permitted in Kenya - any aircraft operating in Kenya has to be on 5Y, and flown by KCAA licensed pilots.

I'm quite happy to be on your ignore list - you seem like a bit of a kimondo.

Vc10Tail
9th Jun 2013, 19:30
You never asked me that question...though I expected it much earlier (some is slow on the uptake it seems)...listen where I work you are not privy to know.I have no hard feelings at all as I have rights to work in this country...and that is all you need to know.I left Kenya due to its pathetic tribal biases additional to their previously indiscriminate practices of emplying foreigners on the GA scene at Wilson,Loki and so forth.

Now if you do not mind I have better things to do.What I hope might happen in Kenya was what transpired in Nigeria a while back...where the locals took matters in their own hands to chase away any job invaders! If you arean invader...am sure. There is fun awaiting you down the road.

Trim Stab
9th Jun 2013, 19:35
Aha, so you haven't really put me on your ignore list...

And so how do you feel about taking the job of a local of the country where you work now?

Yeager
10th Jun 2013, 02:25
WC10tail is all in, for the African style politics - which have proven so sucessfull - where politics are suited to fit the current motivation of the sitting goverment.

Good question Trim Stab!:ok: surely we'll get the "right" answer from her.

DownIn3Green
12th Jun 2013, 04:07
At the risk of being banned after 14 years, I can't resist this one...

Does anyone know the procedure and cost of converting a Kenyan Birth Certificate to a USA Birth certificate?...

(I ought to be a stand-up comic...!):D:D:D;)

Trim Stab
12th Jun 2013, 05:28
What, yet another Kenyan who wants to go overseas and steal a job from a local! And I'm not talking about vc10tail...

Deepan
12th Jun 2013, 14:00
Heyy need help.. can some one please guide me as to how to convert FAA-CPL to South African CPL...!!!!

Vc10Tail
13th Jun 2013, 08:49
Hey Mickey mouse...I suggest you take your childish remarks and post them in Disney land...you might get an answer there...and whilst at it...get us an answer for how to convert a Kenyan birth certificate to USA's:rolleyes:

Trim Stab
13th Jun 2013, 11:33
VC10tail - you are the person who let this thread degenerate into childish remarks, for example:

Trim tab or stab trim..whoever you think you are...if VC10 is a mystery to you..I suspect you have not been in Kenya's Aviation long enough...in which case keep on driving your cessna with your recently acquired cpl until you can grow enough teeth to have a pplitical argument about Aviation with a twenty year veteran.

I won't quote the childish and petty personal email that you also sent me.

Deepan
13th Jun 2013, 16:19
Fellow Aviators, can you please guide me or help me with the information as how I can convert my FAA CPL license to South African CPL....!!!!

flyhigh07
23rd Jun 2013, 07:48
Hello Aviators,I passed my CPL conversion exam,it took alot of attempts.my last flight was one year back,what all requirements must i fullfill before i submit my logbooks to KCAA?so my IR is not current anymore,is there any way i can do some instrument flying in wilson airport and be current?I heard i can get a SPL to fly.
Or is it better to go back to US to do the currency?

Please help guys..

kibz2005
23rd Jun 2013, 08:30
my advice is to fly the 10 hours PIC you require to get your actual CPL first so you have a valid kenyan cpl. Otherwise, your conversion exam may expire. once you have the licence in hand, look for your 6 hours hours ME/IR to get your IR revalidated

atpcliff
10th Jul 2013, 08:54
I remember about some PIC hours actual that are required-I think it is the 10 hours that they are talking about here...make sure and have that before you show up.

I only know one person who converted their license on their own...and they had a Kenya passport, knew the Kenyan system, and spoke Swahili. The rest of the people converting had the support of a company that had hired them.

You don't need work documents...the company you work for can do all of that for you...unless you are trying to do it on your own.

If you are low-time, trying to get a job in the area, Dar-es-Salaam based Auric Air was hiring expats.

Trackdiamond
10th Jul 2013, 18:25
KCAA needs to see you have flown 6 hrs of P1(solo command) in the last 6 months.Make sure there are no discrepencies because they reserve the right and often do verify from the school/company youpreviously flew with.

KCAA has its deficiencies like any African bureaucracies and like most people it is not a smooth ride going through their process but corruption is not as its put out by some of these posts.It used to be apparently rampant but has been generaly been weeded out at licensing level for pilots. At higher levels such as AOC applications(where presumably there is more greasing jambo handshake incentive) I can not vouch for it.I would b careful about making any openly defamation remarks about institutions or individuals here as there is a cautionary message that Pprune.org can not guarantee you any anonimity.

Converting to KCAA without a valid work permit if not a Kenyan is futile. Some German nationals to their disappointment were promised a rating and job on one of those pre-arranged deals.They were made to part with $20k each.Part of the deal was that they pass the conversions on their own account after the first attempt.When things dragged on and plans ssem in disarray and they wanted out...they found themselves(or one of them at least did) in a legal limbo and $20k short changed...so be forewarned.

guerreiro.v
6th Aug 2013, 16:34
Trackdiamond that reminds me of a some sort of story related to a PapaCharlieJuliet Academy, or as AOC request Cargo too fly. But in that case I suppose that there is still undergoing conversion of other applicants which are not Kenyans nationals. Perhaps it has been some kind of mistake of that particular german?

254pilotwannabe
27th Jun 2015, 04:16
Has anyone converted their FAA to KCAA certificates lately?(2014&2015) Are there new procedures in the process or is it as complex as before?

Ku_Bilot
28th Jun 2015, 14:44
Just go do it in T.Z, Kenyan conversion is a waste of time and money.

254pilotwannabe
6th Jul 2015, 05:36
@ KU Bilot, are the T.Z and Kenyan standards the same? If I get a conversion in T.Z but wish to fly in Kenya I`m i required to do more stuff or what?

Ku_Bilot
17th Jul 2015, 21:00
@ KU Bilot, are the T.Z and Kenyan standards the same? If I get a conversion in T.Z but wish to fly in Kenya I`m i required to do more stuff or what?

From what i understand all youll beed to do is get the Tz cpl then do the jenyan air law.. Many guys just go that direction.