PDA

View Full Version : Direction of Landing/Takeoff

donnlass
27th Apr 2009, 18:58
Hello All

Since I aim to be at the AVP next Sunday is it possible to find out which direction the flights would be coming in at?

I am hoping to see a certain aircraft due in at 09:40 and departing at 14:25 and hoping to get the best picture of it.

So how could I find out what runway they will be using in advance. How many days in advance do ATC decide which runways to use (naturally depending on weather conditions/wind direction etc).

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers

Donnlass:)

commit aviation
27th Apr 2009, 19:34
Aircraft land & take off into wind which is the easy bit!
Forecasting it will need to wait till nearer the time.

The runway will change as the wind does so no guarantees can be given I'm afraid!

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
27th Apr 2009, 20:07
<<Since I aim to be at the AVP >>

Where's AVP, or what airport are you referring to please?

BYALPHAINDIA
27th Apr 2009, 21:30
LHR Tower = it is MAN sir.

Donnlass, If you are coming on the M56 at Stockport from Yorkshire way you will see which Runway is in use before you get to the MAN turn off.

8/10 times I would say on 23R for landing, 23L for departures until 12.00.

chiglet
27th Apr 2009, 22:01
HD,
It's the Aviation Viewing Park..... where Concorde, BA146/RJ HS21 and a bit of a DC10 are sited.
Donnlas,
The "preferential runway" is 23, so even with a slight tailwind,[5 kts or less] it will still be in use. If Manchester are on Easterlies, you should get some good photies, as the a/c will taxy past the AVP on its way to the runway.

donnlass
28th Apr 2009, 14:50
:D
Hi HEATHROW DIRECTOR

The AVP is the Aviation Viewing Park at Manchester Airport.

Thanks everyone for your replies,I will probably turn up early and see what turns up.

Cheers

Donnlass:D

carldudley
28th Apr 2009, 22:13
Just wondering, what are you waiting to arrive, havent had a trip up the AVP for a while, anything interesting?.

donnlass
29th Apr 2009, 08:32
Hi carldudley

Just a Virgin A340 on a positioning flight, just want a photo of it as it is the only 4 engine plane we see now apart from 747's.

It is due in at 09.40 from Barbados on Sunday back out at 14:25 so was just deciding what was the best time to go.

Boun:)ce out of bed for the early arrival I think!:ok:

There's a nice pic of it on TAS as well.

One9iner
29th Apr 2009, 09:31
A family relative will be FO for a VS340 flight from MAN sometime soon. I'll try and get some info..

donnlass
29th Apr 2009, 14:31
Thanks On9Niner

I appreciate all your help.

Its a lovely aircraft as well lucky them!:ok: