PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding preparation for JAA ATPL exams

Transsonic2000
27th Apr 2009, 17:21
Hi all,

I have a question to those who are currently preparing for, or recently just took the JAA ATPL theory exam. How did you prepare for the exams, respectively what (online) question-bank or software did you use and how did you like it?
There are different providers on the market, but which one provides the best preparation? Besides, I have heard that some people just studied the questions (without reading the books) and then took the exams and passed. I have to admit I’m a little reluctant buying the books. I myself hold a FAA CPL+IR (ASEL & AMEL) as well as a CFII license and I’m planning to do the conversion.

But back to my initial question, below I listed a few Testprep providers and I’d appreciate any feedback in this regard.

Aviator24.com

Aviationexam.com

Dauntless-soft.com

Do any of them also provide any explanations on difficult questions?

How many months of studying did it take until you were ready to take the exams, and (in average) how many hours did you study per day?

Thanks in advance!

SW1
27th Apr 2009, 17:34
Hi,

Ive sat my last exams earlier this month. I studied via Distance learning in three phases and sat all exams in 5 sittings, as I was completing my hour building concurrently with the ground studies.

I found it took me between 2 and 3 weeks( full time 8am till whenever I went to sleep- which was into the early hours of the morning some days) to read each book, depending on subject studied and hit the Bristol Question bank solidly for 3 weeks prior to the exam.

That pretty much means that you will cover every question in the bank and will not be surprised by anything that pops up in the real exam.

In addition I had to attend the brush up weeks, per phase, which I found invaluable as the tips, hints and revision handouts you get are well worth the trip down to your GS provider.

Make sure you sign up to Bristol ASAP...:ok:

whiskey1
28th Apr 2009, 00:56
As the Holder of a CPL you must undertake an approved Ground School course and be signed off by your CGI to sit the exams. Only ATPL holders are exempt this requirement.
You can do the course via Distance Learning and attend the Ground School consolidation (3 or 4 weeks depending on who you use) or full time.

W1

Transsonic2000
28th Apr 2009, 14:33
Thanks for the info so far!

Is there anybody who can give some info, or has some experience regarding the links below?

Aviator24.com

Aviationexam.com

Dauntless-soft.com

Do they provide customer service, or assistance if you need some explanation?

maxdrypower
28th Apr 2009, 15:15
As was stated before matey , If you are going to do the ATPL exams . use BGS , it will stand you in good stead it is tried and tested and has been used by just about every bugger who has done these exams in recent years , you wont get a better revision tool , Im thick as two short pig shxts and it helped me get through
Good luck