View Full Version : Emirates Pay Increase

GoreTex
27th Apr 2009, 13:34
Colleagues –

The past financial year has been an incredibly difficult one for the worldwide airline industry and for Emirates this has been no exception. The difference between this last year and the previous one could not be more dramatic. After record profits for us in the Financial Year 2007-2008 we have found the commercial environment in 2008-2009 far more of a challenge.

In an effort to focus on job security and continuance of employment, in January, the company, after much deliberation, took the decision to implement a freeze on all pay reviews across the organisation. This decision has continued to be monitored carefully and is still in place. As such, there will be no change to the current flight crew remuneration package that is usually announced around this time of the year. The 3% step increase to base pay, which we have historically provided pilots, will also not be paid this year. I fully recognize that this will be a disappointment to you, but believe that you understand the rationale behind these difficult decisions. We will continue to review the situation carefully and, as we emerge from what is clearly a difficult period, may reassess this decision so that we do not unduly prolong these measures.

Alan, Martin and I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your loyalty and professionalism in supporting our highly demanding operation. As we go through this challenging time the greatest contribution we can make as a pilot group to sustained profitability, business and personal success is to ensure a safe flight operation.

Regards,

Horseman

5man
27th Apr 2009, 13:48
Funny how the pay freeze is announced already and still nothing heard on the end of year financial result aka profit share :ugh:

Ketek400
27th Apr 2009, 13:52
Just shows that we will not get anything more than we are. Might even have to pay some back!!!! Just wonder if the big boys are getting anything?

BigGeordie
27th Apr 2009, 13:52
I think the profit share is a forgone conclusion. Emirates is certainly not the only airline to have a pay freeze this year but inflation in the UAE is still very high compared to Europe and the USA and the company is still making a good profit. In the light of that the decision not to even award the 3% increment does seem a little mean.

Marooned
27th Apr 2009, 14:00
I trust Ed, Al and Marty are fully sharing the pain with us on this one?

And the 3%; wasn't that contractual, not that the contract is worth anything?

Ketek400
27th Apr 2009, 14:24
I am over this place! Can't wait for the market to recover. We need a few opportunities to get out!!!! The reasons we are here are not there anymore. I came here for the $$$$$$ and a good roster/lifestyle. I guess it is like a pot of water on a slow fire, getting too warm for me.

kingoftheslipstream
27th Apr 2009, 14:46
The annual step increase, based on nominal 3% is not in the written contract.

Sheikh Your Bootie
27th Apr 2009, 15:03
That is true KOTS Habib, not there. C***s anyhow, it = a pay cut, with inflation @ 8% or therabouts.

SyB :zzz:

daviddea
27th Apr 2009, 16:08
Has any group ever tried to hire a lawyer to see how to stop these contract breakers.

Gilligan
27th Apr 2009, 19:28
Now now children

145qrh
27th Apr 2009, 20:11
"I think the phrase rhymes with clucking bell". :ugh:

SIUYA
27th Apr 2009, 22:50
Sheikh Your Bootie.......

C***s anyhow, it = a pay cut, with inflation @ 8% or therabouts.

It's actually not as bad as you think, according to the IMF, who are predicting UAE inflation at about 2.0 for 2009, which is down from a 'modest' 11.5 in 2008, then rising to 3.1 in 2010.

Refer: Page 209 of http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/ft/weo/2009/01/pdf/text.pdf

Hoiwever, if the Company as a whole is still making profits then a bit of 'goodwill' on its part would seem to be a pretty sensible 'investment', particularly with all the negative sentiments that are being expressed about management, so 'yes', you're sentiment about C***s seems spot-on. :}

pia pium
28th Apr 2009, 09:12
Well I wonder what the annual cost savings were for the statistical fuel savings we see each month. Well done to all the pilots for flying around on a wing and prayer with little or no hold fuel, only to be rewarded with the fact you helped increase their profit. Dubai is selling bonds to raise cash because it is broke, like paying local pilots 6oooAED a month for the UAE living allowance and an exorbitent pension, they want to proove their status as greedy slave drivers and pay little or nothing and want more than everything. A profit share, Hahaha :}