PDA

View Full Version : Looking for info on the LET410/420

SteveB1
27th Apr 2009, 06:59
Looking for info on the LET410/420

I may be flying a LET410/420 and would like to talk to Pilots and Mechanics who have experience with these machines. A private message is OK. Know of any for sale? Good and bad habits? We will not have the volume that would warrant an Otter.
thanks
Steve

gabon flyer 2
27th Apr 2009, 07:35
Hi Steve

You d better try on the African or Carribean forums as it is a popular aircraft out there...

Happy landings

Goffel
27th Apr 2009, 09:58
Hi Steve.
Sent you a PM.
Goffel.

greenno
27th Apr 2009, 16:52
www.globalplanesearch.com (http://www.globalplanesearch.com)

www.planecheck.com (http://www.planecheck.com)

regards

mikehammer
27th Apr 2009, 19:59
Jets & Turboprops (http://www.benair.com/Jets%20%26%20Turboprops.html)

Old Photo.Fanatic
27th Apr 2009, 22:49
I know the Skydivers at Sibson Peterborough used Let 410/420
during quite a few "Seasons" last known using one couple of years ago.
Maybe able to help with contacts etc.
If he is still there, Patrick in the "Tower" could be a good place to start
Hope this may help.

petesevenseven
28th Apr 2009, 03:58
Hi,

I flew the Let410 for 7 years its a fantastic machine for african conditions. Very reliable never breaks down. Operators do take advantage of this to the extreeme at times so when they do finally break it aint pretty. The only official trainning on the type is at LET's fly in Ostrava Czech Republic they have the sim and you'll do your circuits there as well here's the link Flight Training Centre Ostrava - (http://www.letsfly.cz/index.php?lang=eng).

Most of the let410's ive flown have been different in one way or another. They were designed in the early 60's and they first came out with the LET410A model ironically this had PT6 engines on it and no wing tip tanks. Then the LET410UVP came out this had Walter engines on it called the M601 a very crude engine at the best of times the IELU ( Intergrated Electronic Limiting Unit ) hadn't been fully developed on it you had to treat these engines quite carefully also in my experience on the type very prone to hot starts. I'd like to add this type was purely for the russian military though a few cheapies where sold to dodgy african operators in Sudan and congo who i was unfortunate enough to come across in my african flying career.

Then Came the LET410UVP-E models that included the E9 and E20 models the most popular models these had increased range with the wing tip fuel tanks which gave you an endurance of approximately 5hrs 30 mins and extra hour of fuel per side 150KG per tip tank if i do recall correctly. The engines were much improved the UVP-E model let410 has the walter M601E engines it has 5 bladed props the IELU works properly its a robust engine reliable engine provided its well maintained also at contingency power you have 798HP as apposed to 750HP on the older M601.

The LET420 was developed to be used in the USA in order to gain FAA certification under FAR25 the FAA recommended more powerful engines and a few other airframe modifications which I don't recall at this time so this aircraft came out with more powerful engines again Walter but now they are the Walter M601F engines which has an extra stage of axial flow compressor a few more horse power and it was enough to gain FAA certification I haven't flown this model though the last let410UVP-E20's I flew were fitted with the M601F engines which were a further improvement a bit better performance from my experience flying this type of engine. Avionics wise on the later model LET410-E9/E20 and L420 its all Bendex King. Apparently they have an fully decked out EFIS LET410 in Czech Republic I havent seen it.

Just another bit of useless information Walter got bought out by GE so there will be a further improvement to this Walter Engine.

Flying wise the Let is a fantastic machine I loved my time on the LET410 I hope you enjoy your time on it too.

Hope my information helps,

Happy Landings!!!

Pete

sky waiter
28th Apr 2009, 06:09
Good Post Pete!

That sums it up nicely, I would like to Add of the L420 two were ever made, they are operated by Air-tec africa and are both based in Algeria, basically the same aeroplane, except the baggae compartment has been moved to be a seperate entity and the slightly more powerful engines (27SHP more). The IELU is also slightly different in the aeries as well as the MAX ITT-

However the differences are minuscle when flying them, i preffered the 410 as the ILEU and water injection systems made more sense and were easier to identify when operational.

But i agree with Pete, easy aerie to fly, lots of fun and are a hard robust type if maintained well!

Enjoy :D

Woof etc
30th Apr 2009, 16:17
Have a couple of thousand hours on the L410 and L420 - in my experience a pretty bullet proof aircraft if maintained correctly. Like any aircraft, it is not without it's limitations.

I really enjoyed my time flying the machine, and it never let me down in a big way - pm me if you want any specific info.

SteveB1
1st May 2009, 15:20
Thanks. I have some details to work out and then will be back to you guys, thanks again the good info.
Steve

airflorida1
8th Jul 2009, 13:35
Hi Steve,
I absolutely agree with the guys above me. I worked on Let410 airplanes as a mechanic. If you have any technical questions about this plane I will be glad to help you.