PDA

View Full Version : Airbus Static/Not Static Question

pre3mhjt
25th Apr 2009, 17:50
Just beneath the FO's window there is a small triangle with a hole in the middle. The same is also found at (as far as I know) 5 other locations (on the 319 at least) along the length of the fuselage. My question is this....what is it/what does it do?

We found it half covered with speed tape during a walk around this afternoon and called an engineer; as it looks like a static port of some kind. (I know it is not one of the 6 main static inputs though) He was unable to tell us what it was and simply removed the tape and sent us on our way. Fair enough, but now I'm curious.

I have tried to attach a picture below.

Photos: Airbus A319-132 Aircraft Pictures | Airliners.net (http://www.airliners.net/photo/Germanwings/Airbus-A319-132/1457833/L/)

Pre3

Meikleour
25th Apr 2009, 19:08
When I did my A330 course at Toulouse we were told that these marks were used with lasers for the jigging of the airframe.

MaxDiff
25th Apr 2009, 19:23
Hi,

Meikleour is correct, the small trianges dotted around the fuselage are rigging marks. :D

dixi188
25th Apr 2009, 20:24
The holes have an anchor nut inside so that a bolt or threaded rod can be inserted for sighting purposes to check airframe rigging after an event. (ie. heavy landing, flight through severe turbulence, tail strike, etc).

pre3mhjt
25th Apr 2009, 20:40
Thanks guys, really appreciate the responses. Always learning

Pre3

muduckace
25th Apr 2009, 23:45
Major overhaul, when enough structure has to be removed to require "shoreing" of the aircraft, the aircraft is leveled first and sighted with survey equipment. Other aircraft have buttonhead rivits in these locations.