PDA

View Full Version : PPRuNe threads not marking as read

galvonager
25th Apr 2009, 06:51
It started happening to me recently, that reading certain threads here on PPRuNe, does not mark them as read. When I enter the thread later, and click on "go to first unread" (or whatever the name of that button was), it goes to the message that was unread last time too (does not update). The strange thing is, that it only happens on threads that have a small number of messages. The long threads (like the BA 777 thread, or the Hudson ditching) work as before - reading new messages properly marks the threads as read. Using the "mark forum read" forum tool fixes the forum - until next time.

Has anybody seen this behavior, and have any advice how to fix it? I don't know how the forum handles the read message info - would clearing its cookies help? I'm using Firefox on WinXP, and the effect started happening this week, after working properly for years.

Edit: even now, this same message that I posted, and re-read several times, appears as unread, when I look at the forum.

Low Cost Eng
25th Apr 2009, 08:40
I have exactly the same problem as Galvonager. This started earlier this week. Prior to this having visited PPRuNe it would only show postings in bold that had been added since my last visit. I am using Safari on OS X. Any ideas on resolving this would be appreciated.

Saab Dastard
25th Apr 2009, 12:44
This is a known bug with the implementation of Vbulletin that PPRuNe is currently on.

I first raised the problem with IB last August.

It may or may not go away when the site is upgraded to a more recent version of VB.

I'm afraid we just have to live with it for now, along with the time & date stamp problem.

SD

BOAC
25th Apr 2009, 15:19
Not here it ain't!! XP SP3/Firefox and IE6 and Safari:eek: (but not all at once .....:)) Absolutely no problems at all with post marking.

Saab Dastard
25th Apr 2009, 16:37
BOAC,

You are lucky. Several of us mods have had the problem for months, and it doesn't help with our task one little bit.

IB have acknowledged the problem but seem powerless to fix it.

SD

Low Cost Eng
25th Apr 2009, 17:45
Further to my earlier posting the threads are now marking as read.