PDA

View Full Version : The Good News (UK) Thread

wiggy
25th Apr 2009, 04:49
So we've been stuffed by the Budget, stuffed by the politicians,our wonderful Policeforce seems to be more and more like the Brownshirts, now Pig Flu is on the way...............is there any good news....anybody?

P.S. We've a new game at home: timing how long it takes for a Labour Politician to used the word "World" when asked to comment about the UK economic mess..In the last week not one MP or Minister has got beyond 20 seconds.

RJM
25th Apr 2009, 04:57
Speaking of 'World', it's only, what, 43 years since 1966? So cheer up! :)

S78
25th Apr 2009, 07:44
This could be the shortest thread in the history of PPRuNe.....

S78

Andy_S
25th Apr 2009, 08:24
Good news? There will be a general election no later than June next year.

Grabbers
25th Apr 2009, 11:03
I got 200 in back pay this month. Not great but as they say, every little helps.

hightower1986
25th Apr 2009, 11:23
the olympic stadium is under budget and 3 months early! Wont stay like that though! Poisitve news? Not really but the media seemed to think so?

Storminnorm
25th Apr 2009, 11:32
Good News? An election in June? You must be Bl**dy Joking!!!!!

'Call me Dave' Cameron and Georgie porgie going to get in???

Gord 'elpus!!! We need a MIRACLE, Not good news.

Next bit of GOOD news??? Maggie's state funeral!!!!!!

Bahn-Jeaux
25th Apr 2009, 11:34
Storminnorm, I take it you have the rosiest tinted spectacles ever created.

Storminnorm
25th Apr 2009, 11:37
NOT rosy, Pinko old chap, and a very long memory.

Andy_S
25th Apr 2009, 12:18
Call me Dave' Cameron and Georgie porgie going to get in???

Presumably you prefer the alternative of Brown & Darling getting back in and wreaking another 5 years economic vandalism?

If your memory is that good, you'll remember the Labour government going cap in hand to the IMF in the '70s.

Next bit of GOOD news??? Maggie's state funeral!!!!!!

You actively wish the death of a former PM. In my eyes, that makes you far worse than she ever was.

RJM
25th Apr 2009, 12:36
Didn't Maggie help you guys out last time you were nearly f*cked?

Grabbers
25th Apr 2009, 14:36
Andy S

As far as I could see, Storminnorm didn't actually say he wished death on a former PM. Just her burial.:ok:

Storminnorm
25th Apr 2009, 14:41
Thank you grabbers, just what I was about to say.
Norman Lamont presided over a total financial
"Cock-up" as well I believe.
Now , let's see, Tory wasn't he? Or perhaps I'm mistaken? Hmmmm.

Capot
25th Apr 2009, 14:42
The Inland Revenue just sent me 100 for filing accounts on line this year........

.......the company concerned was wound up and struck off a year ago after being dormant for years, since we no longer needed it.

Hurray! Bureaucrats' incompetence pays off!

PS; I'll go to Maggie's funeral to make sure she's dead. The sooner the better. Much of the present situation we are in, like being in hock for the next two decades, goes right back to her policies and the culture of greed and excess that she personally stood for and created and which was so closely personified in her greedy, crooked son.

Hot 'n' High
25th Apr 2009, 14:47
Capot, in the same boat as you are but not yet filed the return. I wonder if I'll get the same? ;) Hopefully the good old IR don't frequent JB!!!

RJM
25th Apr 2009, 14:50
Well that was a dud. Maybe I used the wrong name...

Storminnorm
25th Apr 2009, 14:53
I'll go to Maggies funeral with you Capot.
You bring the hammer, I'll provide the stake.
( Just to make sure, you know.)
Don't want any "undead" roaming around.

Andy_S
25th Apr 2009, 14:56
Much of the present situation we are in, like being in hock for the next two decades, goes right back to her policies

I see. So Brown / Darling's incontinent public spending and light touch regulation of the financial markets was all Thatcher's fault. How did I not notice that?

Storminnorm - you said that Thatcher's funeral would be "good news". If that's not welcoming her death, then I don't know what is.

Storminnorm
25th Apr 2009, 15:01
Andy S yes, you're right, you don't know what good news is.

Grabbers
25th Apr 2009, 15:02
I just hope that the funeral for the redoubtable Mrs T is a normal one, not paid for out of my taxes. Don't care when it happens but a state funeral? Not good news to me. Earning the nickname 'milk snatcher' is not endearing is it?

Capot
25th Apr 2009, 15:02
Talking of greed and excess, and perhaps straying a bit, I'll share what I've just read...it's a letter in the travel advice section of the Times, today, paraphrased a bit....

"I've just been made redundant, we're on the point of selling the house, my son is about to start at his private school, and now my husband's been made redundant.

All the stars have come together to create an opportunity for a fantastic trip; what would you recommend?

Our budget is 10,000 to 15,000."

Now why am I finding it difficult to dredge up any sympathy? Could it be that this person seems to have worked in the financial industry?

Storminnorm
25th Apr 2009, 15:04
Let's face it Capot, you're just HOPING that they worked in the
"Financial" industry.

Might I suggest a week in Butlins at Skegness?

(Nice BIG wave machine there!)

Capot
26th Apr 2009, 07:41
Andy S

New Labour's love of the financial sector and the greed it embodied was born in the culture of greed and excess that Mrs Thatcher introduced. Tony Blair was a true child of that culture, and Brown was alongside him all the way. Their policies merely developed the idea and made it worse.

Many of us preached at the time she was booted out that it would take at least 50 years for the damage she did to be finally put right, and as we now know that estimate was about right. This crisis is her legacy.

IF, when she finally has the decency to leave us, one penny of public funds is spent on interring her rotting remains I'll be there with 30 others with the biggest banner we can manage to hold up - say, 90 feet by 10 feet - saying

WE PROTEST AT THIS ILLEGAL MUDDLE-HEADED MISUSE OF TAXPAYERS' FUNDS

without any noise or violence. However in the Britain she started to create, assisted by Major, Blair and Brown, we'll still all be arrested and beaten up under anti-terrorist legislation. Sorry, wrong order; beaten up and arrested - for "resisting arrest".

PS StorminNorm, you're right. I was.

disco87
26th Apr 2009, 07:45
Storminnorman, Capot..... Heros, glad i'm not the only one (apart from my dad and also everyone from where i grew up, oh and pretty much Scotland, the North of England..... more than i thought)

MAN777
26th Apr 2009, 07:54
Nowt wrong with Butlins, us mere mortals without ID90 have to go somewhere !

Golden Ticket
26th Apr 2009, 08:14
The way banks and financial sectors and very very rich people operate no government or elected member of that government has a great deal of power over what happens in the world.

They just are put there to find ever more creative ways to take your money and spend it on stuff you never thought you wanted.

Andy_S
26th Apr 2009, 08:27
Capot,

Thanks for at least giving a courteous reply.

Thatcher's legacy, of course, generates strong opinions, and I'm not about to go down that road.

Nevertheless, she's been gone now for 19 years, the last 12 of which have been under Labour governments with handsome majorities. At what point do you stop blaming her, and turn your attention to her successors? Blair and Brown had the authority, the electoral power, and at one point the good will to fundamentally change the financial culture of this country. And yet, as you yourself put it, instead they "developed the idea and made it worse"? It was Brown for example who gave Fred Goodwin a knighthood and put him in charge of several government task forces. Surely the responsibility for the dreadful mess we're in lies equally on the shoulders of the current government, yet some people believe it would be bad if they were kicked out.

As for Thatchers's funeral, while I find your language somewhat emotive, in principle I agree; when it happens it should be a private affair.

Avitor
26th Apr 2009, 08:33
When this crowd got in 12 years ago, a dry old intellectual said to me....You'll see, in a few years they will have all your money.

They have my children's money too, and my children's children's money.

Why was Maggie such an old prat? She had the job of sorting out the usual labour mess.

Major, he was awful. He ended up with .....'egg on his face'? :}

oldshuck
26th Apr 2009, 10:09
I hope you are not talking of Eggwina. On his face

I think I just lost my breakfast :ooh:

Storminnorm
26th Apr 2009, 10:16
Good old John Major, he loved a load of curry to chew on!!!

Avitor
26th Apr 2009, 10:26
With Major living within spitting (no ulterior motive for using that word) distance of RAF Alconbury, scuppered any hope of it being developed into an airport.
He objected to any talks on the idea.

Storminnorm
26th Apr 2009, 10:40
And I always thought that RAF Alconbury WAS an airport!!!
Ah well, wrong again.