PDA

View Full Version : Extended RWY Centreline CDU.

Potcake
24th Apr 2009, 13:49
Ive had brain failure, what are the methods to get a direct intercept or Extended Centreline on the CDU. Thanks. I know with ILS, eg GS-14 select, then I/B course - execute. But i cant remember how to get for VOR/NDB.

BetpumpS
24th Apr 2009, 13:58
I just push buttons

BAM_dk
24th Apr 2009, 15:04
Douple punch the vor and set indbound course on 6R

BAM_dk

EMIT
24th Apr 2009, 16:10
The button is labeled DIR/INT, which means,

it can be used to make a DIRECT TO,

or an INTERCEPT LEG TO,

a waypoint.

A "direct intercept (leg)" is a contradictio in terminis.

But that linguistic point aside, in a Boeing, if you want to intercept a leg to a waypoint, the CDU will show in the right hand corner, in small font, the inbound course, if there is an existing track already. By pressing LK6R you will make the font big and thus set the track. Complete the action by executing.
If you want another track, enter the numbers in the scratchpad and bring them to line 6R and execute.
If you execute without touching LK6R, you will order a DIRECT TO.

In Airbus, at least in A-320 with updated FMGS, you can order an inbound radial to, or an outbound radial from a waypoint to be intercepted. The choice will be offered in the upper righthand corner of the CDU.

Note that the inbound radial that you punch into the Airbus is 180 degrees different from the inbound track to the waypoint that you punch into the Boeing. The B setup needs just a little less mental arithmetic.

EMIT
24th Apr 2009, 16:33
If your question was not about the way to construct an intercept leg, but about the way to get a runway centerline drawn on the nav display:

Enter a runway into the route. The approach choice screen should show not only the available instrument approaches but, at the end of the list, also the available runways (sec). If you choose a runway without instrument approach, the box should automatically draw an extended centerline to a default distance out, or ask you to specify a runway extension distance.

Potcake
24th Apr 2009, 19:11
Dir/Inc is the button I want to use - when im on a heading to intercept the final approach course, I want to make an extended centreline. It clears up the PFD to just show a magenta extended centreline. How do I do that?

Old Smokey
25th Apr 2009, 07:28
Potcake,

If you want a reasoned response, it would have been nice if you had spcified which aircraft you fly and/or which FMC/FMS the aircraft is fitted.:confused:

I could respond for the B777, but that would be useless information if you're flying another type.

Regards,

Old Smokey

Viper-NL
25th Apr 2009, 07:41
Please provide the aircraft type and fms.

On the 767 I use Dir/INT, line select the waypoint, press dir int line select key, put in the course and your done.

Tiburon peligroso
25th Apr 2009, 07:49
Hi Pot
Like some other fella's said, would have been nice to know which type you were refering to.

My guess is the E190;

1/ pick CF fix on approach
2/ bring to scratch pad
3/ re-enter in direct
4/ enter inbnd crs (bottom right)
5/ activate.

Or activate vectors L6
Hope this helps.

Spooky 2
25th Apr 2009, 13:02
Lets hope this gent is asking this for some computer excerise as opposed to really flying an aircraft. Can't imagine that one would not know this and actually operating the aircrfat in question.:confused:

Potcake
25th Apr 2009, 13:13
737. Thanks I understand it now, there a few ways to do it. I was just unsure of the dir/intcpt way.

Tiburon peligroso
25th Apr 2009, 17:03
Spooky 2
That may be true! But remember, there are never stupid questions, only stupid answers! May be he is new on the type and had poor training.

Spooky 2
25th Apr 2009, 18:29
Please note, I never called the man stupid. I just thought it a strange question for a working pilot and thought perhaps he was a MS Simulator kinda guy. Most technical questions can be answered either via the Ops Manuals of flight training departments.:ok:

Mshamba
26th Apr 2009, 08:42
737: Why not just take the runway point and select the inbound course??? Works with every approach, no matter if ILS or nonprec... i prefer this all times doing a visual, combined with a 3 miles arc as reference, no matter which approach type i selected before. Works well for me.