PDA

View Full Version : Web server issues

BOAC
24th Apr 2009, 08:54
I have 2 sites hosted by a company called 3IX, mid low-priced packages. Support and reliability has been 'flaky' with both, with email/FTP access and sometimes site itself failing due to 'server issues' every now and then, but I have site 1 now runnning fairly reliably. I fought for a begrudged small extension of contract on Site 1.

Site 2 is now bad. No FTP uploads due to a 'full disk'. They tell me that the root (/) directory is 'full' on their server. Can anyone explain how this can happen?

I do NOT recommend them, incidentally, and will be switching at package renewal. Typical problems are the 'on-line chat' during the last (site 1) times

Them: "There is no problem with the server"
My reply: "Oh yes there is, I have no email or FTP access"
Them (20 secs later): "There is a problem with the server":ugh:

amanoffewwords
24th Apr 2009, 10:50
I had similar issues with a server I was renting from 1&1: the never ending "there-is-a-problem-no-there-isn't" two-step shuffle. Well actually it ended when I sent a formal complaing and they agreed to terminate my contract early - no questions asked.

Now with another provider which costs more but has been 100% reliable in the last 5-6 months I have been with them (great support and sale team too).

The root might have been filling up with logs not rotating or tmp files being created + not purged <- wild guess really, I'm not an expert.

Sprogget
24th Apr 2009, 11:21
Otoh, I've had my site up with 1&1 for seven years and I've had one outage in all that time for 24 hours. Mind you it did hack me off when I changed credit card & they pulled the site without warning!:ugh:

Bushfiva
24th Apr 2009, 13:27
BOAC, you may have something like a virtual server, especially if you aren't paying much: "your" machine may be shared by hundreds or thousands of other websites, and the hard drive is simply full. Alternatively, your allocated space is full. Presumably you have a control panel or similar web interface which will tell you how much of "your" space you are actually using. If you can't FTP, etc., and yet you apparently have plenty of space available, then the underlying physical device is full.

BOAC
24th Apr 2009, 13:43
It's the latter, BF. They have finally agreed to move me to another server!

EDIT: 18:40(A) Up and running and no problems with delay in DNS propagation:ok: