PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed - Airbus in Africa or Turbo prop in UK?

Capt50cent
23rd Apr 2009, 23:56
Hi all, I would appreciate advice and opinions from experienced flight crew with regard to what the best job option is and which one you would go for.
I have been fortunate enough in these hard times to be offered 2 jobs and whilst I am extremely happy about it and grateful, I really do not know which one is best to take!!
One option is an African airline flying a modern turbo prop with the chance to move up in their fleet onto either an A330 or A340 within 2 yrs assuming all goes well.
The other option is a small UK regional airline also flying a turbo prop but with the need to change airline in order to move up to jets.

Bearing in mind that I see myself in the UK in the long term, does anyone have any advice on what would be best for my career? Would having a turbo prop rating and an airbus 330/340 rating on my license and hours on type with an African airline be a great deal more advantageous than hours built on turbo props in the UK with a UK airline? Or vice versa? What do airlines in the UK prefer?
Thanks to all..

LAX
24th Apr 2009, 00:27
Go for the uk job. It will give you lots of take offs and approaches which is what you need starting out.

After 2 yrs in Africa, lets say 750hrs/yr = 1500hrs. Not enough for long haul. What are you going to get experience wise sat in an 330/340 for 8hrs+ per sector in the cruise with limited take off and landings per month = nothing (apart from RT)

Uk turbo prop + get your ATPL unfrozen puts you in a good position when the european economy picks up for a job on a jet.

Capt50cent
24th Apr 2009, 12:03
Thanks for your input. I understand the importance of lots of hands on flying when starting out. In this flag carrier african airline, I would be starting out on a turbo prop and would expect to do about 2 yrs on it before being able to move up to the 330/340. If i was to do 2 yrs on the airbus then, would that place me in a good position for a move to the uk?

After 4 yrs flying turbo prop in the UK, do you think I would find it hard to find a carrier that would train me for the jet rating, or should I take the chance of going to Africa where there is a clear progression?

I would rather remain in the UK, but some say with a 330/340 rating on my license i would be "made" and i would be in a much better position than i would be flying TPs in the UK for 4 yrs.

Abagnale
24th Apr 2009, 12:23
Sorry,mate,may I ask you about your qualification: TT ,ratings held if any?

AlternativeProcedure
24th Apr 2009, 17:15
Stay in the UK, build good experience, get your command, UK experience is well respected worldwide. When the market picks up, u'll be in a very good position to move onto jets. Having said that, there's no hard and fast rule about hows these things go, as u probably know, aviation is right place right time. I did the reverse, went to Africa, flew twin otters, dash-8, recruited from Africa and now fly jets in the UK. Goodluck with whatever you decide to do.

AP

buzzc152
24th Apr 2009, 18:01
What types are we talking ? Both MPA's ?

Capt50cent
24th Apr 2009, 18:59
thanks to everyone's input, i'm finding this a really hard decision to make.
TT 285 hrs..no additional ratings.Frozen JAR Atpl. In terms of types, the turbo props are either ATR72 or Dash8.

clrblu22
25th Apr 2009, 14:30
I'd go for the job with the 330-340 job later. With the pilot shortage on the horizon..you flight time (TT) wont matter. I'm flying with 400 hour pilots now in the A320 in China; they will be captains in 3 years. Just my opinion though...experience is great but as times change, your thinking must change with it.

My 2cents....

adverse-bump
25th Apr 2009, 14:33
With the pilot shortage on the horizon

haha! yer go tell that to all the pilots out of work for the next few years!

Capt50cent
26th Apr 2009, 11:28
Can anyone else offer advice? Thanks to those that have already, I'm just trying to get as many opinions as possible...

potkettleblack
27th Apr 2009, 08:33
I fly the 320 series in Europe. What helps me get to sleep at night in the current climate is the transferability of the airbus ratings and their commonality across the entire product range. Heaven forbid if I was furloughed tomorrow then after a weeks CCM course I would have a 330/340 rating. Cost about 6k or so. My current 320 series rating enables me to fly the baby buses up to the 321.

If you look at aircraft orders over the past 5 years in Europe and take FR out of the equation then the majority of sales were Airbus. All the major airlines fly Airbus as do the charters.

If you go down the TP path then there is no doubt you will get good hands on experience etc etc blah blah blah. BUT you will be at the back of a queue of thousands of guys with thousands of hours at Flybe, Aer Arran, Air Southwest etc all waiting for the jump onto the jets. Your TP rating will only be of any use to fly that type. Go onto another TP and its a completely new rating at a substantial cost.

Also why plan on jumping around airlines if you don't have to. You will just waste years of seniority. And finally I would hazard a guess and say that the jet job pays more!

Its a no brainer for me.

BetpumpS
27th Apr 2009, 08:47
The OP and the replies are based on wanting to move up to 'Jets'. i.e that is your aim. A plane is a plane is a plane but you want the jets so you have pretty much answered your own question.

However I'd make sure that this African airline is quite stable because if it isn't, then you'll just have the TP experience like you would have had in the UK.

I'm on the 744 and for me, it is crap. Moved onto it too early 25 years old!. I'm sure I'd love it when I'm 50 years old and content with pushing buttons but at my age, I miss flying. I wish I never left my 747-200F job because that was classic flying at its best - 5kts of wind and you'd probably have more confidence in flying it by hand to FL100 rather than trust the autopilot! (slight exaggeration granted).

285 hrs? Congratulations mate. If I was in your position, I'd take the African Job. Because as you said, you'll fly the Dash-8. So worse case is you don't get the A330/340 but you move back to England with Dash-8 hours (same as staying in UK). Or best case is you get the Airbus.

When I started out, I really wanted to stay in England.But was given the chance of a 737-200 in the Philippines or a TP job in the UK. I took the jet job even though there was no progression to a larger a/c as they didn't fly them! I just wanted the jets at the time.

vintagemember
29th Apr 2009, 10:02
If you are the character I think you are then you're not telling the true story. Having completed the ground school with a turboprop operator in the UK it's piss poor to then ask for unpaid leave whilst you make your mind up.

I suggest you make your mind up quickly, we wouldn't want any misunderstanding would we.

CABUS
29th Apr 2009, 10:27
I am afraid to say I have chainge my mind over this one again, I would go with the UK operator and get some serious flying experience in the UK then move up the ladder. I am sure the UK flying would make you a better pilot from what we have discussed. Sorry bud I am not too sure if thats what you wanted to hear.

Also, if the point above is from someone you know I do hope they expressed their worries in person before launching onto PPRUNE as that just wouldnt be cool.

Catch up soon

C

skyhighbird
29th Apr 2009, 11:19
ooh, what do we have here? Dirty laundry in public it seems

Capt50cent
29th Apr 2009, 12:58
Hi vintage, i'm not the person you are referring to, I have yet to accept or start either job!

Csacsa
29th Apr 2009, 16:37
Hi,

I think your vision of your flight career is the most important. Ask yourself: Where do I want to be, let's say, in five years? If you have the answer, then you can choose easier.

Think BetpumpS post and "A day in the life..." thread by G.SXTY over!

Good luck!:ok:

adverse-bump
29th Apr 2009, 21:27
Hi, i'm certainly not the person you are referring to, I have yet to start either job!

haha. Busted!

Capt50cent
29th Apr 2009, 23:03
Eh?!? Thanks, will check out the thread.

inner
4th May 2009, 06:29
I also would stay in the UK. Africa is not a place where you wanna stay. And you also have the possibility to stay in touch with friends and family. Sitting in the middle of nowhere all alone is no fun at all := even if you fly a shiny jet.

Good luck mate!!

INNflight
4th May 2009, 08:18
Take the UK job, seriously. Please then PM me the contact details for the African one, or vice versa...... I'll take it - promised :}

batman123
5th May 2009, 15:21
just get hired first, anywhere..., cuz I doubt they will give you the job.

at this time, I dont know anyone who hire except china.

nice to plan, but before to dream too much, get the job.

they all say the same, they hire, but when it 's time to see the contract....there is no contract, and they tell you to reapply in 12 months.

INNflight
6th May 2009, 08:47
at this time, I dont know anyone who hire except china.

Should check ppjn more often then :ok:

There's some (even in Europe) hiring, Condor for example. It's just that they need like 50 pilots and probably get 5000 applications for these jobs :suspect:

adverse-bump
6th May 2009, 10:33
maybe you two should re-read this guys first post.

he has been offered both jobs.

Capt50cent
7th May 2009, 16:08
ah i get what batman is saying, havent actually seen any contract yet! hoping that i will be sent it but nothing so far!

G-SP0T
7th May 2009, 16:56
So you are taking the job in africa.

attention all! theres a job going, and as long as you promise not to run off once you have done the ground school you sure to get it!