PDA

View Full Version : BBQ ideas

G-DAVE
24th Apr 2009, 00:54
Hi all,

Ive read a few posts on Jet Blast over the years about various foods, and there seems to be quite a few culinary geniuses amongst our community.

So with this in mind, I thought Id try to gain some brownie points with the better half and suggest and/or make something for our BBQ party on Sunday.

What do you think works really well on the BBQ? Apart from the usual burgers, sausages et all, what can I do to make people talk about their BBQing experience at ours, for years to come.

I will be using a traditional BBQ, not a gas type, if that makes any difference?!

Thank you all in advance.

Hope the weather stays sunny!

Rollingthunder
24th Apr 2009, 01:16
Damn, tough question.

Buy the best steak, grill for 3 1/2mins a side on high for medium rare
Start grilling corn cobs a bit before with some peppers and later, some mushrooms.
Make smashed potatoes with garlic

Serve with Mojitos, lots of.

lomapaseo
24th Apr 2009, 01:26
Start with a domestic house cat. If the wife objects then go for feral cats.

Paul Wilson
24th Apr 2009, 01:29
Beer can chicken, if you've got a lid on the BBQ. Set it up for indirect grilling (coals on one side, chicken on the other)
Take a chicken, open a can of beer, drink half of it, rub some spices and salt on the chicken, shove the can of beer up the chicken, make a tripod of the the 2 legs and the can of beer, put chicken on the grill and leave for 30 mins, rotate chicken and leave for another 30. Rotate again and leave for another 10-30 mins depending on chicken size. Remove and eat. Lovely. Google for pictures.

Rollingthunder
24th Apr 2009, 01:31
There's the Florida vote, still counting hanging chads.

G-DAVE
24th Apr 2009, 01:50
I'm liking the domestic cat idea, but using her dog instead!

Hope she never reads this!

Lightning6
24th Apr 2009, 01:50
Don't forget the fish....Quickly cocked tuna steaks, 20 to 30 secs each side, delicious.

Old 'Un
24th Apr 2009, 02:16
Marinate 2cm cubes of chicken breast meat (skin off) in teriyaki marinade for 24 hours (if possible). Cut an onion in half and separate off each of the layers. Cut these into 2cm squares. Cut capsicums (red, green, yellow) into 2cm squares. Skewer cubes with onion and green, yellow and red capsicum pieces on bamboo skewers - onion, capsicum, chicken, onion, (different-coloured) capsicum, etc. using 20cm skewers.

Bbq until cooked, turning regularly as they surface-burn easily.

Depending on the tribe, allow about 2 x 15cm kerbabs per person.

You should get about 10 - 12 kebabs out of a couple of good sized fillets.

Leftovers are also nice cold.

Blue skies on order for the day!

Le Vieux

parabellum
24th Apr 2009, 02:31
If you are doing something like chicken drumsticks or Maryland then, as chook takes quite a long time when compared to other meats, you may want to give it a head start in the Microwave, apply the marinade or sauce or whatever and then finish on the BBQ with all the other stuff.

Rollingthunder
24th Apr 2009, 02:52
head start in the Microwave

Damn, you won't do well in the revolution.

It's coming, I tell you it's coming.

Cook on fire!

SoundBarrier
24th Apr 2009, 03:01
Cut medium sized potatoes into quarters. Boild for 10 min. Drain and lace with garlic salt...in face heavy. Cook on gril for 5-6 mins keep turning and adding more garlic salt. Lovely side dish!

Howard Hughes
24th Apr 2009, 03:03
As an apetiser cut pieces of cabanossi about 2 inches long, then cut a cross in the sausage (lengthwise) leaving about half an inch uncut. Cook on the BBQ grill and these will turn into nice floreat shapes, taste good and a talking point amongst guests too!:ok:

Rollingthunder
24th Apr 2009, 03:03
Great stuff

Boild for 10 min. Drain and lace with garlic salt...in face heavy. Cook on gril

Laurel and Hardy take note

Atlas Shrugged
24th Apr 2009, 04:43
these will turn into nice floreat shapes

That's a bit fancy innit Howard?

Howard Hughes
24th Apr 2009, 05:03
Hardly...:E

But it's cheap, easy, add a bit of dipping sauce and the guests love them!:ok:

tinpis
24th Apr 2009, 06:20
A group of kiwis , yarpies and ozzers working at EMA once built a BBQ.
In two years it was never used due WX.
Prolly still there the locals trying to figure out what its for.

sitigeltfel
24th Apr 2009, 06:44
Our BBQ looks all neat and tidy not having been used yet this year.

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c354/jbmods/Openday.jpg

Hopefully I will get a chance to scorch it a bit this weekend.

Roger Sofarover
24th Apr 2009, 08:14
G-Dave

Search through the posts by Con-Pilot (and maybe Brickhistory although I am not sure if I remember correctly). He is the resident BBQ head chef. He has various recipes and advice out there somewhere on the thread, all very yummy. Needles to say get on to the guys in Oz and the USA.

MagnusP
24th Apr 2009, 08:52
Lamb cubes. Marinate in olive oil, chilli flakes, paprika and black pepper. Thread onto bamboo skewers (soak for a couple of hours first so they don't burn), alternating each lamb cube with a thin ring of green chilli, season with a fair amount of salt (I'm normally salt-averse, but these need it) and chuck on the barbie.

Make a thick pancake batter, add finely chopped spring onion, grated cheddar and sweetcorn, & season to taste. Cook on the bbq hotplate (if available) or on a decent skillet in the kitchen. That's a nice accompaniment.

Green salad, bread, beer. Enjoy.

Barkly1992
24th Apr 2009, 09:39
My favourite is to get your butcher to bone a leg of lamb - butterfly lamb we call it here in OZ.

Marinate for a few hours in olive oil; red wine; some herbs; maybe a bit of oyster sauce.

Pre-heat BBQ (with cover of course) to 200 degrees C - using only burners on one side.

Place the meat on the other side and cook for about 1.5 hours very slowly.

Serve with baked potatoes; and salad.

Consume more red wine.

I cooked our Christmas pork and turkey on the BBQ last Xmas gone. Beautiful.

Barkly.

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g289/vh-grumpy/2008Dec25BBQ.jpg

sirwa69
24th Apr 2009, 09:51
Here is an absolute stunner which I have done a couple of times with all the requisite ooh's and aah's from the assembled guests

Tea Smoked Duck

BBQ Recipe - Tea-Smoked Duck (http://www.bbq.co.uk/bbq-recipes/poultry/bbq-tea-smoked-duck-recipe.htm)

The other one is chicken drumsticks, marinade them in honey, soy sauce and saki (vodka if you don't have saki) then put them in a baking tray with the marinade and place the baking tray on the BBQ. Cook them until the internal temp (you'll need a probe thermometer for this) is 77 C
These are scrummy.

Happy cooking

ThreadBaron
24th Apr 2009, 10:12
Pre-heat BBQ ....... using only burners on one side

Some would say, and surely will, that there is a mutual exclusivity to 'BBQ' and 'burners', so I will not mention it.

Checkboard
24th Apr 2009, 10:23
Father always did shasliks (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/shashlik) (kebabs). Marinade beef cubes in teriyaki style marinade (he added a bit of dry sherry, ginger and garlic). On skewers alternate beef, square of green capsicum, section of quality frankfurter, bit of pineapple wrapped in bacon, quarter or half (depending on size) button mushroom, square of onion. He had long metal skewers which could fit about three sections of the above on them. After being barbequed, the flavour combinations were delicious!

The butterfly leg of lamb always works well. Prawns marinated until the shells are so delicate that they can be eaten like prawn crackers with the prawns when they are grilled are good as well.

HOWEVER while the meat is the star, a good barbie is always made by the salads that go with it, IMHO.

Baby spinach, cherry tomatoes, spring onions, croutons, Mushrooms, parmesan flakes with a balsamic, lemon juice, garlic pepper and olive oil dressing.

Jamie Oliver's pasta salad. (http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/pasta-and-pizza/the-best-pasta-salad) (but use a good red wine vinegar, instead of the white - and LOTS of herbs.)

Watermelon and onion salad.

Good crunchy loaves of bread. :ok:

G-DAVE
24th Apr 2009, 11:00
Thank you everyone for the replies so far. All fantastic suggestions :ok:

Making me hungry (and thirsty:}) just thinking about it.

Will have to pop to my supermarket (can't mention which one obviously due to Proon advertising law), but need all the little extras people are mentioning (every little helps:E).

Anyone know a good sun dance by the way?:p

Rossian
24th Apr 2009, 14:30
How about some bananas (peeled) with some dark brown sugar and a sprinkle of dark rum wrapped in individual foil parcels. Dish up with some cold cream or ice-cream. Only need a few minutes and it's easy-peasy.
The Ancient Mariner

Bushfiva
24th Apr 2009, 14:40
We're rather partial to corn on the cob, brushed with soy sauce, wrapped in foil and left to its own devices on the BBQ. Any large pepper, top off, seeds out, with absolutely anything you care to think of stuffed inside, similary brushed with soy sauce and wrapped in foil. It's easy to handle, comes out tasting really sweet for some reason beyond me & over/undercooking doesn't make much difference. For things on a stick we cheat and prep them indoors. Then I can pretend to slave over the meat.

BetpumpS
24th Apr 2009, 14:43
You may laugh at this but an egg plant is nice on the BBQ

deltahotel
24th Apr 2009, 14:52
with big bits of meat. like the butterfly leg o lamb. A whole beef fillet or whole ribeye cut into two lengthwise gives some big bits to BBQ. About 30 mins. No marinade, some rosemary twigs on the flames, keep turning, then carve - pricy, but looks impressive and a lot easier than lots of little sausages/burgers/chicken bits etc. Get it right and the middle will be rare/blue, the ends medium/well.

Whole salmon wrapped in buttered/peppered foil; turn a couple of times. 30 - 40 mins. As above, looks good and dead easy.

Good luck

DH

Scumbag O'Riley
24th Apr 2009, 15:17
Leave steak in freezer until solid. Get barbecue up nice and high. Chuck solid steak on grill and let cook. The outside will get overcooked if anything, get all crispy and have that nice chargrilled flavour while the inside is taking time to heat up and melt so will be nice and pink.

oldshuck
24th Apr 2009, 15:42
and to go with it big juicy figs wrapped in foil covered in honey!

MagnusP
24th Apr 2009, 16:06
oldshuck: a bit of goat's cheese inside each, please. I'll bring the beer.

Jimmy Macintosh
24th Apr 2009, 18:49
Nice piece of beef, spread mustard on both sides grind salt over each side and rub to an even colour. Grill as others have said about steaks, 4-5 minutes a side for medium.

Slices of yellow squash, red onion, mushroom, italian squash (zucchini), and peppers. slide onto a bamboo skewer, drizzle with olive oil place at the edges of the BBQ. They take longer to cook than the meat so start them early. (Curtesy of another ppruner)

The military section of this web site has a thread called my beautiful weber, excellent ideas in there.

tinpis
24th Apr 2009, 20:08
Dont muck about.

Brazilian Barbecue (http://www.maria-brazil.org/brazilian_barbecue.htm)