PDA

View Full Version : Air Senegal Ceases Operations

Towerman
23rd Apr 2009, 19:43
Just heard this news. They have two B737-700 aircraft. Anyone able to confirm their current location?

concordino
23rd Apr 2009, 20:50
What is your source of info Towerman ?

ASI last operated two 737-700s leased or seconded from the parent company or major shareholder RAM. I think these two planes are back now in Casablanca. I think another 737 ( 800?) and Dash8 remain.

There is an ongoing dispute between RAM and the Senegalese government.
The latest was a unilateral withdrawal notice ( unsure of the date) from RAM which was countered by the Senegalese issuing a court order obliging RAM to continue operations until another Audit was done.

Things are now calmer, I read ASIs accounts are frozen by the airport authorities in DKR.

The bottom line of this whole thing is probably another Air Afrique style saga in the making. Only this time... it involves a Sovereign State vs another State's Airline.:ugh:

Towerman
24th Apr 2009, 09:43
Concordino

Source is reliable and top level political. Situation may have eased overnight but location of aircraft and whether impunded somewhere for non payment of airport charges is the key question??

Arik
24th Apr 2009, 17:46
Not suprised ... flew them last week with one of their leased RAM 737-500's ... disgraceful service the last few weeks in W.Africa; endless cancelled flights!

concordino
24th Apr 2009, 21:05
It's been announced today that ASI has ceased operations.

RAM is still putting forward a "road map" proposal for a progressif and well planned withdrawal plan.

:hmm:

yanafrica
25th Apr 2009, 09:44
from yesterday in french!!

Transport Aérien : Air Sénégal international a cessé d'opérer (http://www.lematin.ma/Actualite/Journal/Article.asp?idr=113&id=112102)

Towerman
30th Apr 2009, 09:51
Does anyone no the outcome or progress on talks yesterday?

The last reported news I could find stated that Senegalese and Moroccan civil aviation experts were meeting in Dakar Wednesday (29 April) to find a way out of a crisis for Air Senegal, which has ceased all operations amid a dispute between Dakar and majority shareholder Royal Air Maroc. The crisis talks are being held behind closed doors in a Dakar hotel.

411A
30th Apr 2009, 12:03
The crisis talks are being held behind closed doors in a Dakar hotel.

....with sufficient adult beverages, I would presume.:}

concordino
30th Apr 2009, 17:29
Looks like the Dakar Airport Authorities have released the hold on Air Senegal's Accounts, while RAM is still maintaining its proposal of a road map for a timely withdrawal from ASI.

Also there are rumors about Tunisair and Air Algerie expressing interest to take on the void that will be left by RAM, although the Algerians have categorically denied that.

Does anyone know if and how many airplanes are parked at DKR ?

My understanding was that only a Dash 8 is a left and possibly a 737-500 from RAM ?

Any confirmations ?

Towerman
1st May 2009, 06:45
There are two aircraft grounded - a B737-700 owned by a US Company and a Dash 8 owned by the airline. The airline are not in financial default with the US Company so could resume operations if there is a political will.

concordino
1st May 2009, 09:56
Towerman,

Is the 737-700 US registered or Senegalese ? any info on the airframe ? and its livery ?

:ok:

learr
2nd May 2009, 19:12
Both airplanes registrated in Senegal, still in storage...

Learr

Towerman
4th May 2009, 13:27
The B737-700 is undergoing an A check and is on the Senegalese register and in Air Senegal colours.

There are still strong rumours of Tunisair being in Dakar for talks.

concordino
5th May 2009, 10:27
The latest from Dakar,

The Senegalese insist on RAM remaining at the helm of ASI at least till end of 2009.

They have asked RAM for a 767 type aircraft to support long haul ops ( transatlantic?) as well as an injection of about 27 Million Euros to restart operations

Looks like RAM is entangled in a nasty web :}

They were asked to leave few months ago, now they are trying to force them to stay :ugh:

God Bless Africa :E

Towerman
7th May 2009, 12:55
The Senegalese President has appointed his soon as the minister for aviation and he addressed the ASI staff yesterday evening, and assured every one that things would be OK. However meetings continue with the situation not yet resolved.