PDA

View Full Version : Leave the birds alone!

22 Degree Halo
23rd Apr 2009, 17:41
An MP is calling for action to control the number of seagulls in urban areas saying they pose a "serious problem" for residents, tourists and businesses.

"There is a real health and safety issue, a noise issue and nuisance issue related to the huge growth in numbers of urban seagulls,"

C'mon the gulls!:ok:

BBC NEWS | Politics | Call to control seagull numbers (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8014975.stm)

Sprogget
23rd Apr 2009, 20:03
That's easy for you to say! Little f****rs s**t on my car every day, on my patio every day, Steal food from the bins, leaving litter strewn all over the streets. They wake you up at 5 in the morning, particularly when, as now, they're breeding.

They're rats with wings & if the council would pay me fifty tokens a day, I would gladly sit up at the dump with a six pack & an air rifle & pot them, one after another.

I don't much like the seagulls.

ChristiaanJ
23rd Apr 2009, 20:08
"Culling gulls can be part of the solution, but as with other pests this needs to be teamed with local preventative measures including a responsible approach by all to waste disposal."

The RSPB said the main explanation for the growing gull population was litter levels and simple steps such as not leaving food out would make a big difference.

The basic answer to the problem is right at the end of the article.

Get rid of the garbage, and you get rid of the gulls.

CJ

anotherthing
23rd Apr 2009, 20:09
rats with wings indeed - beat me to it.

I think they are also officially classed as vermin so you can shoot the buggers...

Sprogget
23rd Apr 2009, 21:01
In fact, round here, we've just been issued with wheely bins, from bin bags, so we'll see what happens. On general principle though, they are highly intelligent 40lb aggressive buggers & they need to be reined in.

Even the kitty cats don't mess with the gulls.:uhoh:

foresight
23rd Apr 2009, 21:02
I think they are also officially classed as vermin so you can shoot the buggers.

Sorry but you'll be up before the beak.

A 16-year-old boy who shot and fatally injured a black-headed gull in Herne Bay has appeared before magistrates.

The juvenile, who cannot be named for legal reasons, admitted killing the gull which was found injured in March.

Canterbury Magistrates were told the gull was so badly injured that it had to be put to sleep.

RSPCA Inspector Colin Kirkwood said: “Let’s hope that this sends out a message to other youngsters that it is not acceptable to shoot at wild birds.

“We will prosecute those responsible.”

The youngster, who comes from Herne Bay, also admitted a public order offence and burglary.

He was ordered to carry out a 12-month supervision order and to pay £176 in costs to the RSPCA.

Too Short
23rd Apr 2009, 21:23
Yeah, but they can be cunning little sods...

Kqy9hxhUxK0

Whirlygig
23rd Apr 2009, 21:29
highly intelligent 40lb aggressive buggers40lb? :eek: That's nearly 3 stone?

Cheers

Whirls

Sprogget
23rd Apr 2009, 21:34
Yep. You can hear the call. Chiiiips, Chiiiips. I kid you not Whirls.

DX Wombat
23rd Apr 2009, 21:47
Yep. You can hear the call. Chiiiips, Chiiiips. I thought it was "mine ..............mine........mine........
mine .....mine.....mine..... mine.....mine.....
mine .....mine.....MINE ....MINE...MINE...MINE..
MINEMINEMINEMINEMINE
MINEMINEMINEMINEMINE"
(With apologies to Disney and "Finding Nemo")

ChristiaanJ
23rd Apr 2009, 21:50
I would gladly sit up at the dump with a six pack & an air rifle & pot them, one after another.Well, if you choose to live right next to a garbage dump, then what do you expect?

And "potting" them won't solve anything... there will always be other ones.

Rather go and "pot" those of your local council, that are pocketing the money that should go into cleaning up the garbage dumps and into proper garbage collection in your area.

I live only about 15 miles from the coast, so with lousy weather gulls will regularly come inland. Since there is little or no garbage available, they will circle around, scavenge in the fields, and get back to the sea as soon as they can.

CJ

Sprogget
23rd Apr 2009, 22:03
I don't live next to the dump. I live next to the sea.

Mine mine mine!

G-CPTN
23rd Apr 2009, 22:05
Those who live by the sea, especially in (former?) fishing settlements, will be aware of the raucous cacophony when several herring gulls 'give voice'.
To have these birds nesting in proximity of dwellings will test the patience of even the keenest bird-lover. Their calling begins at dawn, and, even if the nest isn't actually on the building, the parent birds will 'roost' on chimneys and roofs in the vicinity from where they will 'defend' their territory against other gulls.
So an 'idyllic' holiday cottage can mean experiencing this to the detriment of sleep . . .

Sir George Cayley
23rd Apr 2009, 22:08
No such thing as Seagulls.:ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh:

Common Gull, Herring Gull, Lesser black-backed Gull etc but no EFFING SEAGULL

Defra or whatever they are called this week, issue General Licences to Kill or Take. So if you feel aggreived enough there is a way if Air Safety is at risk.

And, yes you can't cull yor way out of infestation. You have to deal with whatever it is that attracts the Gulls in the first place.

Bear in mind that not all Gulls are bad, as Brighton have just escaped relegation:ok:

Sir George Cayley

Sprogget
23rd Apr 2009, 22:38
Amen brother, I'm not talking abouth the extinct Mickey Adams Gull, more the Sussex 5am bee-atch gull. They really are the menace.:mad::}

RJM
23rd Apr 2009, 22:53
We're the gulls. The real scavenger is the politician who got his bit of press space knowing that the proposition is a waste of time. :rolleyes:

mad_jock
24th Apr 2009, 05:48
Wheelie bins have made a huge difference to Aberdeen. Not only are the number of shite hawks down but also the size of the sods.

Before wheelie bins they could get to be the size of a small child down the harbour and they were nasty bastards as well.

The locals in Torry used to feed the lithium battery's in bread which produced some cruel fatal effects.

Its all about making the food sources hard to get. The touchie feelies won't let you murder them, but its ok to starve them to death.

RJM
24th Apr 2009, 07:40
Aye, that's all well and guid, Jock, until one of they rocs comes and picks up the wheelie bin in they claws...

RJM
24th Apr 2009, 07:48
Warning - non PC joke. Insert your local benighted minority group...

Two ____ neighbours are talking over their fence on rubbish day.

First ____ : 'Where's your bin?'

Second ____ : 'I bin on holidays.'

First ____ : 'No, where's your wheelie bin?'

Second ____ : 'Ah, I bin in gaol.'

Standard Noise
24th Apr 2009, 09:50
Walking the dog one Sunday morning recently, the wife decided to bring some bread so we could feed the swans and ducks down at the Bishop's Palace moat. The gulls got most of the bread, about two dozen of them, they terrified the ducks who buggered off sharpish and even the swans didn't want to get in among the gulls to get their fill.

I remember a couple of years ago, the wife and I were in NYC and had gone over to Liberty Island to see the great lady and decided to take a stroll along the path which runs round the island. I took an apple from my pocket and started munching. Within a minute there were a big bugger of a gull standing on the wall eyeing up me and my lovely apple. This was a bigger gull than I'd ever seen before, coulda fed a family of six for Crimbo ffs. As we kept walking, so did he. Never scoffed an apple so fast in me life.

Storminnorm
24th Apr 2009, 10:49
Gulls have obviously got a terrible press agent. Pity really.
I love to watch them fly. I don't think there is anything to
compare with them as they just hang in the air. They really
are beautifully designed, and so graceful.
Pity they cr*p everywhere though.

lexxity
24th Apr 2009, 12:36
The Gulls in NYC are hard bastards. Watched one come down and take away a childs lunch once. Bosh straight in and took the whole box away!

The Mine, Mine made me laugh because we were on a flight (same holiday as above) and meladdo was watching nemo with his super duper kids noise blocker head phones on. Quiet as a mouse until the seagull "MINE" scene comes on which he immediately starts shouting at the top of his voice. :eek: Luckily our immediate neighbours had a sense of humour. :ok:

Lon More
24th Apr 2009, 15:55
Don't know how true this is.

1) Gulls can't fart.
2) Feeding them Alka-Seltzer stuffed in bread causes them to explode

Storminnorm
24th Apr 2009, 19:34
We used to wrap a bit of Carbide in bread for them.
Really went with a BANG!!!

Sprogget
24th Apr 2009, 19:43
A friend of mine tried the Alka Seltzer thing (remember we live in a town plagued by the buggers, so desperate measures are resorted to).

He watched with his head in his hands as the gull spent ten minutes vomiting all over his garden. Squawking & hurling as he memorably put it, Then it flew off & S**t on the side of his house by way of revenge.

Lon More
24th Apr 2009, 22:19
A variation on don't crap on your own doorstep then Sprogget?

Sprogget
24th Apr 2009, 22:22
I think it would be fair comment Lon. Or at least somewhere between leave well alone and stoppit!