:ok:

Avtrician
23rd Apr 2009, 08:47
OK, if you insist.

I have no idea wot that means.:ugh::ugh:

CargoMatatu
23rd Apr 2009, 08:53
And happy St. George's Day back to you.

I have two flags of St. George flying outside the front of my house today, here in the green heart of Europe. :ok:

Choxolate
23rd Apr 2009, 08:54
See here (http://www.zazzle.co.uk/god_for_harry_england_and_st_george_tshirt-235782458495255291) for 'tis St George's Day

ArthurR
23rd Apr 2009, 09:12
Happy "St Georges day" to all Englishmen, where ever you are. :ok:

Sprogget
23rd Apr 2009, 09:14
Our very own Turk:p Happy St Georges day, although it seems to represent a little less this fine morning.

barry lloyd
23rd Apr 2009, 09:17
Will we ever catch up with the rest of the world and have our English day as a national holiday?
Rhetorical question I suppose.

Captain Stable
23rd Apr 2009, 09:18
And a happy birthday to Will the Bard. :ok:

Oops :bored: - he's snuffed it in the middle of his birthday cake... :sad:

Barkly1992
23rd Apr 2009, 09:27
Happy St George's Day to all in England.

When my now departed uncle Bill was visiting Oz in 2002 and staying with me I got my hands on a full sized Union Flag and asked him whether he wanted it.

He said no - it wasn't his flag - his was the cross of St George.

Quite right I thought - I gave it to someone else who was so singular.

Barkly

Cheerio
23rd Apr 2009, 09:47
This (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rutX0I6NxU) comes to mind, as oddly appropriate.

Happy St Georges day brothers, and I'll have a nice foaming pint of warm ale. :ok:

hardhatter
23rd Apr 2009, 09:55
I recall Monty Python with beginning a sentence with that word, with the start of each episode on telly...only I do not remember the rest of that sentence!! :ugh::ugh::ugh:

so much for thread drift...:ouch:

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
23rd Apr 2009, 10:00
Will we ever catch up with the rest of the world and have our English day as a national holiday?

Why would we need to? That sort of thing is best left to Johnny Foreigner.

Rollingthunder
23rd Apr 2009, 10:08
http://img.thesun.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00459/flag682_459275a.jpg

ShyTorque
23rd Apr 2009, 10:17
Surely, it can't be, not just yet..

Where did the early part of the year go?

And my St. George's mushrooms haven't shown up in my lawn under the fir tree yet...

The SSK
23rd Apr 2009, 12:28
hardhatter: I recall Monty Python with beginning a sentence with that word, with the start of each episode on telly...only I do not remember the rest of that sentence!!

It's ... I'm Sorry I'll Read That Again - Again !
The voice of John 'Otto' Cleese

eastern wiseguy
23rd Apr 2009, 12:35
'cording to Wikipedia...I know I know...

St. George is the patron saint of Aragon, Catalonia, England, Ethiopia, Georgia, Greece, Lithuania, Palestine, Portugal, and Russia, as well as the cities of Amersfoort, Beirut, Bteghrine, Cáceres, Ferrara, Freiburg, Genoa, Ljubljana, Gozo, Pomorie, Qormi, Lod and Moscow, Scouting, as well as a wide range of professions, organizations and disease sufferers.

Busy old buggah :ok::ok:

Have a nice one.

Ace Rimmer
23rd Apr 2009, 12:37
15 years since I came back down the aisle with the brand new Mrs R

frostbite
23rd Apr 2009, 12:40
Are we allowed to celebrate?

Surely it must offend someone?

brockenspectre
23rd Apr 2009, 12:41
Happy St George's Day!!

http://www.google.co.uk/logos/stgeorge09.gif

from Google :ok:

ArthurR
23rd Apr 2009, 13:17
Frostbite, if it dosn't, its not worth doing. Saying that, I will be having a few beers tonight with my dragons. :ok:

RJM
23rd Apr 2009, 13:34
Sharing a snort with your dragons, eh?

barry lloyd
23rd Apr 2009, 13:46
Quote:
Originally Posted by barry lloyd

Why would we need to? That sort of thing is best left to Johnny Foreigner.

GBZ:

Are you referring to the Scottish Welsh and Irish portions of these great islands as 'Johnny Foreigner?' By jove, old chap, I think you're straying into dangerous territory there!

Sallyann1234
23rd Apr 2009, 14:25
"St George" never came within 1000km of these islands, and if he tried to come here today would probably be refused entry as a potential terrorist.
It's time that England had a national hero who was actually English.

Storminnorm
23rd Apr 2009, 14:41
Someone called Beckham, or something like that then????

HAPPY Saint BECKHAM'S DAY!!! Doesn't have quite the same ring to it.

At least he's English. ( I think?).

Can't use the David bit, might upset the Taffies.

OFSO
23rd Apr 2009, 14:57
Happy "St Georges day" to all Englishmen, where ever you are.

As someone else pointed out, St George - called here St Jordi - is also the patron saint of Catalunia. Catalan flags are everywhere today as are the Catalan "fighting flag" indicating the owners desire for (even more) independence from Madrid - we are already officially a nation. And yes, I have a fighting flag on my front gate. Interestingly many town councils are also flying the fighting flag - Figueras town hall is displaying one.

Not much sympathy for Madrid's politics here.....

It's a tradition in Cataluna today that every bloke presents his loved one with a red rose, and every lady gives her fellow a book. For some reason, although this drives the prices of roses up no end, the price of books drops.

I was in Girona this morning and there are girls on every corner selling roses, always wrapped in cellophane embossed with the Catalan flag, and the entire centre of the city is blocked with bookstalls selling everything you can imagine.

Not a public holiday, by the way, banks and post offices open, but the streets are crowded with smiling people.....

Rollingthunder
23rd Apr 2009, 15:07
I was in Girona this morning and there are girls on every corner selling roses, always wrapped in cellophane

The way I like babes. Then unwrap. (over 18 I assure you)

OFSO
23rd Apr 2009, 15:37
Rollingthunder, I thought you were down the gunshop buying ammo ? If it's for use in Manchester (other thread) I'll go halves on the cost.

Back to Girona. The flowers were wrapped in cellophane, not the girls. But the girls hardly needed it, they weren't wrapped in much at all. Mighty fine looking girls in GRO, why do you think it's an FR base ? There's an Irish pub in the pedestrian area, under the arches, that really swings on Saturday nights....

R

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
23rd Apr 2009, 16:33
barry lloyd. Not at all, dear boy. The point was "have our English day as a national holiday". No; I’m glad to note that my Celtic cousins have the good taste not to do that; and they are most certainly not Foreign Johnnies.

You may wish to note that, with due respect to the next door neighbours of my home County of Cheshire, I drink a toast to Dewi Sant every year.

barry lloyd
23rd Apr 2009, 17:10
barry lloyd. Not at all, dear boy. The point was "have our English day as a national holiday". No; I’m glad to note that my Celtic cousins have the good taste not to do that; and they are most certainly not Foreign Johnnies.

You may wish to note that, with due respect to the next door neighbours of my home County of Cheshire, I drink a toast to Dewi Sant every year.

Indeed - as I do myself. Well, with a name like mine, I'd have to wouldn't I?
However, since one half of my ancestors emigrated a long time ago, I have a foot in both camps, so to speak and as it happens I live in Cheshire now, so I'll raise a glass to both:ok:

rubik101
23rd Apr 2009, 17:14
Name one Englishman in the past one thousand years who deserves to be canonised.......................................

Exactly.

apart form my brother of course.

St. Timothy's day just doesn't cut it somehow.

tony draper
23rd Apr 2009, 17:24
Fred Dibnah,need one say more.:rolleyes:

Sprogget
23rd Apr 2009, 17:30
Fred Dibnah,need one say more

I think an ex wife or two might have something to say about that.;)

MadsDad
23rd Apr 2009, 17:42
My local is decked out in St. Geaorges Cross flags and has got a 'special' on - the local Beer, local Cider and the Cod and Chips meal are all reduced. :ok:

But, in agreement with above, I'm still not sure why we have a Turkish (some say Cypriot, whichever) Bishop who never came near the place as our patron Saint.

tony draper
23rd Apr 2009, 18:34
Err, he slewed the Lampton Worm I think.:rolleyes:

Richard Taylor
23rd Apr 2009, 18:40
Happy St. George's Day to all that celebrate it - morris dancing, warm beer & C&O crisps all round. ;)

dead_pan
23rd Apr 2009, 18:48
Wasn't St George gay? Wrestling with a large serpent, I ask you. Either that or he was French (same thing I hear you all cry in unison).

pigboat
23rd Apr 2009, 20:23
Happy St. George's Day all. :ok:

Here ya go Brocky, a smile for ya. :p

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rQi9gtODUZA&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rQi9gtODUZA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

G-CPTN
24th Apr 2009, 01:22
I was surprised to see a stadger of St George on his cuddy in the square of the castle in Prague.
Didn't know that Squeezyjet were running way back then . . .

If you visit the Prague Castle, don´t overlook the St. George´s Statue standing at the 3rd Prague Castle Courtyard. It is a valuable Gothic statue from the 14th century, depicting St. George killing the Dragon.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/fa/St._George_statue.jpg

Overdrive
24th Apr 2009, 01:44
The very best to all :)

Wod
24th Apr 2009, 02:51
Just what I need!

Another reason to raise a glass or several.

'Twould be churlish and remiss not to do so however..

alwayslookingup
24th Apr 2009, 04:17
So here's a question to ponder (from this Jockistani in North East Scotlandshire).

Why, for example, when the England football team team are playing, do their supporters fly the Union Flag of the United Kingdom? And why, again, when the England football team are playing is the United Kingdom national anthem sung. Why not, for example, fly the English national flag, the Cross of St George, and sing a good English song (Hearts of Oak come to mind).

Each of the other Home countries fly their own national flag and sing their own national song (though I'll admit Flower of Scotland is 'kin awful and way past its sell by date).

This porridge wog, and many more, would have more respect and a huge amount more goodwill towards English national teams if they flew their own flag and had their own English national song.

Just a thought.

Blue touchpaper lit, standing back.

chris.dever
24th Apr 2009, 04:39
Leave that poor little dragon alone! :=

Lightning6
24th Apr 2009, 04:56
That's a good point alwayslookingup....But the Union Flag covers the UK, we should support each other.

chris.dever
24th Apr 2009, 05:05
This porridge wog, and many more, would have more respect and a huge amount more goodwill towards English national teams if they flew their own flag and had their own English national song.

And they could play better rugby !

Barkly1992
24th Apr 2009, 09:45
31 years for me Ace - and Mrs grumpy still is!

:ok:

Captain Stable
24th Apr 2009, 10:21
Err, he slewed the Lampton Worm I think.:rolleyes:Nahhhh.

That was Hugh Grant. I saw the fillum. Had Amanda Donohoe starkers except for a giant strap-on. :eek: Filled one's dreams and fantasies for a while, that one did! :ok:

Storminnorm
24th Apr 2009, 15:09
Got a photo Capt?

mocoman
24th Apr 2009, 17:15
It's not really the English flag. The English merely have it on a long-term lease from the people of Genoa.

In 1190 London and England asked and gained the right to use the Genoan crossed flag to have their ships protected by the numerous pirate attacks in the Mediterranean Sea and in the Black Sea; for this privilege the English monarch paid Genoa's Doge an annual fee. England, the City of London and the Royal Navy still hoist Saint George's flag and it's their national flag.

Wikipedia - Genoa

It was more of a flag of convenience used by those on their way to the Middle East during the Crusades.

:}

Richard Taylor
24th Apr 2009, 17:30
If anyone saw Question Time last night, apparently David Starkey raised a few hackles, in true Kelvin MacKenzie style!

Scotland/Wales = "feeble little nations" amongst other comments apparently.

Never heard of the bloke until today myself. :rolleyes:

Cheerio
24th Apr 2009, 18:16
Harsh..... but fair.

al446
24th Apr 2009, 19:14
David Starkey - Feeble little man. I prefer his cousin Ringo, and he's a crap drummer and rubbish singer.

alwayslookingup
25th Apr 2009, 00:38
David Starkey, rear gunning historian who's ordinarily fairly clever and can speak with a great deal of authority on his subject.

Didn't see his comments, would imagine they are based in a certain amount of historical fact but more than likely to be offensive to modern day right thinking members of the nations in questions, or indeed right thinking inhabitants of any of our home nations.

hellsbrink
25th Apr 2009, 07:17
I don't think they were based on any fact, ALU, it isn't the first time he's decided to launch an attack on the Scots and it's always his own biased opinion because of his irrational dislike of people who are not English.

Let's just say he doesn't have a chip on his shoulder, he's carrying a whole potato field there.

Storminnorm
25th Apr 2009, 15:46
Rear gunning historian?? He didn't look old enough to have
flown in a Lancaster.

tony draper
25th Apr 2009, 16:04
Mr Starkey is related to Missus Queen but from the wrong side of the bedsheets,he has the mark of bastardry agin him.
:rolleyes:

Storminnorm
25th Apr 2009, 16:08
That'll be a white "castellation" mark over his coat of arms then
if he's "illegitimate".

tony draper
25th Apr 2009, 16:14
He is a good Historian and documentary front man, one is enjoying his series on old Henry no need for pre nup contract VIII at the moment,
He can never aspire to the throne though,bastardry!,that's near as bad as being a Catholic where the succession is concerned.

Quite right too.:rolleyes:

Storminnorm
25th Apr 2009, 16:22
Do these "Distant" relatives get any discount if they stay at
a Royal residence?
After all, they ARE related aren't they?

Albeit only by the original 50%.

Utrinque Apparatus
26th Apr 2009, 14:24
Can't see what all the fuss is about. All you English have done is paint a red cross on the French Flag ? :}

OFSO
26th Apr 2009, 15:22
This thread is making me ever more angry. ANGRY, DID YOU HEAR ! STEAM IS COMING OUT OF MY EARS !

Why should we English have to share our Patron Saint with all these miserable grovelling inferior 'other countries' ? Why haven't we got a saint of our own ? Someone really Holy and muscular and embodying all the qualities that make England great, like...er..... well, that do.

And we could have a flag with new, bright colours, not ones copied from snail-chewing foreigners, or from people who name their streets after the date of a glorious revolution that everyone has forgotten like `'18th May'. Really bright colours like you can see used on MS Vista.....

And we can have the Day on a day when there's nothing else going on, not stolen from an originally pagan "Christian" festival, no "Tony Blair's Birthday", no football final, no F-1, NO DISTRACTION. A Day of St ---- when we all fly those wonderful flags coloured ---- and---- and go down the pub and sing really good songs.

Now come on, don't be wimpish: let's have nominees for the Saint of England and some really good flag designs and a super song we can all sing (Status Quo should be able to help with that. Or Slade....."Aren't You Glad It's England Day ?" )

GrumpyOldFart
26th Apr 2009, 15:38
Why haven't we got a saint of our own ? Someone really Holy and muscular and embodying all the qualities that make England great, like...er.....

St. John the Major?

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m38/GrumpyOldFart/PMSL.gifhttp://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m38/GrumpyOldFart/PMSL.gif

Oh, yeah ... and a completely plain, medium-grey flag to match him.

hellsbrink
26th Apr 2009, 22:51
Oh, yeah ... and a completely plain, medium-grey flag to match him.

And the meal to celebrate the day shall be peas

MagnusP
27th Apr 2009, 11:15
And the meal to celebrate the day shall be peas

Followed by the ritual tucking-of-the-shirt-into-underpants.

OFSO
27th Apr 2009, 11:25
Followed by the ritual tucking-of-the-shirt-into-underpants.

Followed one presumes by getting stuck into a nice steaming hot Curry ?

oldshuck
27th Apr 2009, 11:29
If you are looking for an English saint may I put Saint Edmund forward as a candidate? coming as I do from East Anglia.

He looks a likely man for the job

tony draper
27th Apr 2009, 11:33
What about St Patrick? he were a Englishman weren't he?:rolleyes:

Storminnorm
27th Apr 2009, 11:39
Yeah, but he liked a drop of Guinness.

oldshuck
27th Apr 2009, 11:41
I thought one just for us TD not pinching one from the irish then we could have our own day and not have to nick theirs

Lon More
27th Apr 2009, 11:53
He can never aspire to the throne though,bastardry!,

Should rule out a few of the top runners then

Why should we English have to share our Patron Saint with all these 'other countries'

Because as a race the Engerlish® are a bunch of miserable grovelling inferior non-personalities. St. Hilda of Grantham might be an appropriate choice on the principle of you get what you deserve.:\

Don't mention Broon, he's Scottish]

Storminnorm
27th Apr 2009, 12:00
I wonder what name Charley will take if, and when, he becomes King?
NOT Charles the Tird I hope? Bit open to abuse that one?

I suppose his "Advisors" will know.

Captain Stable
27th Apr 2009, 12:25
Call me George, suggests Charles - Times Online (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article782407.ece)

Storminnorm
27th Apr 2009, 15:17
Interesting reference there Capt Stable.
Pity it had to wander into the realms of fantasy towards the end
by mentioning "Queen" Camilla.

Still, it could have the effect of hastening the growth of a
REPUBLIC at last.