PDA

View Full Version : Falklands Tracker intercepts

trap one
22nd Apr 2009, 21:52
The actual shoot downs during 1982 are well recorded as are some of the atempted intercepts of the C130's, Canberra's and Learjets. But can anyone help with the question of, how many times did the Taskforce atempt to intercept the Trackers that were atempting to find them?

Yellow Sun
23rd Apr 2009, 09:17
I cannot answer your question, but you may wish to try posting it here (http://forum.keypublishing.co.uk/index.php?) as well. One or two Argentinians who were involved in the conflict have been active there of late and this may help in your researches.

YS

trap one
23rd Apr 2009, 10:53
YS
Thanks this question actually comes from an Argentinian Tracker mate, who was told that they attempted an intercept 17 times. Got most of the books written about the 1982 conflict and I can't find anything mentioned about any attempted intercepts. Most of the time the Shar's were either on CAP, flying preplanned missions or holding alert.
Have already posted on that forum and on Rumration.

RatherBeFlying
23rd Apr 2009, 21:45
As I recall, the Argentinian radar operators would mark where the Brit a/c first dis/appeared on the screen and used the marks to deduce that day's position of the carriers.

The Super Etendards were sent in at low level until within their guess of Exocet range from the fleet, then would climb to check passively for radar signals. Once they received radar, they would launch and turn back.

The Exocets homed on active radar; so would be detected at sufficient range to deploy chaff from the helicopters that were on patrol to do just that.

The chaff did protect the carriers on the last attack, but left the Atlantic Conveyor exposed, which went down with Chinooks and other helos.

AEW would have made things much harder for the Argentinians.

Waiting another year or two until the sale of the carriers to Australia had been completed would most likely have had them holding on to the place:E

trap one
25th Apr 2009, 19:23
Ratherbeflying
Sorry, but Exocet has its own radar head, it takes initial guidance to the target area from the host radar and then turns on its own radar when in the target area. Thats why the Chaff decoyed the missiles.

More than happy about the position checks from the Argentine Falklands based radar being used to locate the Carriers area.

Thanks