PDA

View Full Version : Suggest a new Cell/Mobile phone for my missus

eastern wiseguy
22nd Apr 2009, 19:51
What ho all.

Mrs EW has a first generation Iphone. The battery has died and apparently this is terminal. She loves the "surfing" aspect of it. She rarely uses it as a phone.She loves having the MP3 facility and she ADORES the "apps".

Does any phone literate ppruner have any suggestions for a replacement?

(As little advertising as possible to preserve Pprunes integrity:ok:)

Saintsman
22nd Apr 2009, 19:58
Might as well just have an ipod Touch if she doesn't need a phone

Too Short
22nd Apr 2009, 20:11
Have a look at the Nokia 5800 XpressMusic. It's a touchscreen phone, has WiFi, GPS, decent camera and loads of music storage as it also came with an 8Gb memory card. Easy to use/navigate and is generally quite good fun! I've had mine just about a month and love it. It's on a 25 a month contract (18 months) with unlimited texts and about 700 minutes, any network, any time.

Oh, almost forgot, it also fits quite neatly in my handbag and my little hand :)

SyllogismCheck
22nd Apr 2009, 20:29
Why, why, why, oh why do people buy Iproducts? They're rubbish!

As observed above you get a sealed in battery, apparently of a type which pre-dates the wheel if its performance and longevity are anything to go by. You have draconian copyright measures imposed upon you which restrict what you're able to do with your own media to a significant extent. You didn't even get MMS as part of the original Iphone, not that anyone uses it anyway, but it's a phone, it should have it.

The list could go on and on but, in short, the Iphone and Ipod share only one impressive feature. That being that they represent perhaps the most remarkable examples of marketing over design ever seen. :D

Fitter2
22nd Apr 2009, 20:59
Another vote for the Nokia 5800. It also comes with a dinky stand that use the table top surface to reflect the speaker souind for impressive stereo, and the lens for still & video (Zeiss Tessar) is excellent.

Standard Noise
22nd Apr 2009, 21:28
ew - you let her have a mobile!? Have you lost yer marleys? Long distance nagging texts, can't think of anything worse!

Keef
23rd Apr 2009, 00:08
You haven't said how much you want to spend on this phone, or what she wants.

Capt Claret
23rd Apr 2009, 01:12
Mr EW,

There's an iPhone battery replacement program in Aus, Apple - Support - iPhone Out-of-warranty Battery Replacement Program (http://www.apple.com/au/support/iphone/service/battery/) refers. Perhaps there's one in your country and Mrs EW doesn't have to forego the iPhone afterall. Be sure to sync before you send though.

James 1077
23rd Apr 2009, 02:49
Rather than spend lots of money on a new phone just google "iPhone battery replacement".

There are lots of companies that will supply a new battery and the tools to open the iPhone to replace it. There are also lots of videos showing exactly what to do so it shouldn't be too hard!

Alternatively take it into an Apple Store and they will do it for you (but this will cost more than doing it yourself).

27mm
23rd Apr 2009, 07:52
A couple of practical tips for the Good Lady's new phone:

Must be capable of being located instantly from the depths of any handbag

Must have a charger that is incapable of being mislaid around the house

al446
23rd Apr 2009, 09:51
or what she wants.

What's that got to do with it?:ugh:

Avitor
23rd Apr 2009, 10:27
One that don't work.

Peter Fanelli
23rd Apr 2009, 11:00
A couple of practical tips for the Good Lady's new phone:

Must be capable of being located instantly from the depths of any handbag
Must have a charger that is incapable of being mislaid around the house

Here ya go

Motorola Media Center - Graphics Library (http://www.motorola.com/mediacenter/graphics/detail.jsp?globalObjectId=4279_4372)

ShyTorque
23rd Apr 2009, 13:23
Does any phone literate ppruner have any suggestions for a replacement?

You after a new phone, or a new wife?

OFSO
23rd Apr 2009, 14:40
When I was a kid we used two empty tin cans with a piece of string between them (as a phone I might add, not as a substitute wife !)

Seriously, any Nokia product. My wife has a great one but as it doesn't have a number on the front I've no idea what it is. Li battery seems to last for ever and ever.

All of these observations also apply to my wife's phone, BTW.

R

larssnowpharter
23rd Apr 2009, 16:16
One with a dial were you insert a digit and actually 'dial' a number.

The one Senora Larss bought me is great: takes piccies, has GPS, goes on the net and loads of other features I never use.

Add to that the bloody button thingies are so feckin small you can hardly use yer finger to press them without hitting the one next door.

EDDNHopper
23rd Apr 2009, 19:38
One more reason to actually stick to the iPhone.

anotherthing
23rd Apr 2009, 20:15
Suggest a new Cell for my missus...

For a moment there, I thought Frizzel had been given internet access from prison.

helimutt
23rd Apr 2009, 21:10
I'm fairly sure you can buy a battery and a small kit which allows replacement of the battery for an iphone. Google it. Why change something she likes?

Jimmy Macintosh
23rd Apr 2009, 21:14
If she doesn't use the phone what about going to an ASUS Eee or similar?

Much better apps and browsing capabilities.

Lancelot37
23rd Apr 2009, 21:25
I bought an LG for 29.99 and went with Orange Pay as You Go.

I put 10 on two years ago and it still has 6.40 left. It does all that I need.